What's new

Nakayama stone

Thank you MotoMike

Intersting site but it do not give any inforamtion grit and on razor application

Barbacha

natural stones don't really have a grit...cutting properties will vary from stone to stone. A good quality natural WILL be more expensive however. If youemail Mr. So Yamashita (from that link) he can help you find what you are looking for (as well as he can)

Maybe. You'll have to ask Yamashita-san about that. Be sure to tell him what you're trying to finish. A finish stone for a sword is not the same as a finish stone for a chisel is not the same as a finish stone for a razor. This stone may well make a great finisher for a chisel but be too coarse for a razor. Then there is the issue of su which can affect the suitability of a stone as well, so you'll probably want a sunashi stone. But some su stones are fine depending on the nature of the su - again it all depends on the individual stone.

It's frustrating and complicated, but that's the nature of Japanese natural hones. At least the Japanese have tried to come up with a classification system for their stones - unfortunately it's a complicated classification system, but that's the Japanese for you. Even the Belgians and Thuringens have their variations, and though the lack of a grading system (other than by color) makes them seem simpler the reality is that you are left with no way to evaluate them other than trying them, the same as with barber hones.

Maybe. You'll have to ask Yamashita-san about that. Be sure to tell him what you're trying to finish. A finish stone for a sword is not the same as a finish stone for a chisel is not the same as a finish stone for a razor. This stone may well make a great finisher for a chisel but be too coarse for a razor. Then there is the issue of su which can affect the suitability of a stone as well, so you'll probably want a sunashi stone. But some su stones are fine depending on the nature of the su - again it all depends on the individual stone.

It's frustrating and complicated, but that's the nature of Japanese natural hones. At least the Japanese have tried to come up with a classification system for their stones - unfortunately it's a complicated classification system, but that's the Japanese for you. Even the Belgians and Thuringens have their variations, and though the lack of a grading system (other than by color) makes them seem simpler the reality is that you are left with no way to evaluate them other than trying them, the same as with barber hones.

Outstanding response.

The biggest addition I'd like to make - when you're new/just starting with straight razor shaving, do 2 things. 1.) try to purchase items a lot of other guys have on the forums, as if you run into trouble, they'll be able to help 2 .) don't spend a fortune. That's a $1,000+ stone. Unless you are VERY experienced honing, and are initmately aware of Japanese Stones, don't spend that kind of $, as it would be all for naught. Japanese Natural Waterstones are typically unimaginably expensive, and typically are inferior to man made stones - and are tremendously expensive NOT because they work better that synthetic stones, but because they are very rare.

I've tried some pretty expensive nautral japanese stones - and while very fun to use, and quite effective, they certainly we no more effective and a spyderco UF, or a Belgian Coticule.

Hope this helps...

I tested a Japanese Awasai stone a while back and still like the Coticule and Escher better for polishing or finishing. Shapton is always developing new stones too that are really well suited for straight razor sharpening.

Lynn

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Purchasing natural stones is a very tricky business, especially if you don't have a personal connection with someone who really knows them.
When you consider that for the cost of a single stone you can buy a complete set of state of the art stones and accessories, it's not the wisest choice you can make. Unless, of course, sharpening is your entire life.

OK thanks

I will choose for polishing between Coticule and Escher or spyderco UF ...

but what is the best for me among those three stones.

In three weeks i make a lot of progress, face well prepared, shaving every days whithout any pains (no cuts, no skin fire and smooth face ...)+aftershaving

In honing i successfully sharp 2 straight razors just with a japanese stone grit 4000 and a paddle strop, but i feel it's not enough for a more comfortable shaving

So, i have to complete my hone collection with a grit 8000 + a finish stone + Leather Bench Hone + hanging strop + a lapping stone because i have a nagura and it seems to be coarser, as prevvent me Joel

In reading B&B i know where to buy grit 8000, hanging strop and now i have to choose a finish stone and lapping stone. For the Leather Bench Hone i find Handamerican, is it correct?

To days i have a Thiers Issard, a Dorko and i will receive in the coming days a Dubl Duck Goldedge. And i think my next purchase will be a RW or a Zowada or a Mastro livi.

Yah, well - horses for courses, as I have heard some say.

My Maruka Maruichi is not as versatile as a coticule (because it's so much finer) but I think as a finisher it's the bees knees, much better than coticule, Y/G Escher, etc. Sure, it's not cheap, and it's not too easy to use - on some razors I may step back several times before I get to where I want :mad:

I would only use it after a coticule or Escher, though - and I think you have to have at least one of these before going to a top Japanese hone

Cheers
Ivo

Top Bottom