What's new

Naive question regarding razor rotation

You guys that have multiple razors: how do you work the move from razor to razor? My first thought was to stick with one razor until I needed to replace the blade, whereupon I could start a new one. But today I got my Vision, and naturally enough want to shave with it tomorrow. It seems a bad idea, on the face of it, to move the blade from the 1904 (which I've been using) to the Vision. So I start the Vision with a new blade---but now do I leave the old blade in the 1904 and eventually go back to it?

How do you handle this (minor) issue?

There are several ways to handle this.
  1. You could keep a separate blade in each razor that you use. In my mind, this isn't the greatest solution because I find that a DE blade can rust after a week or so.
  2. You could move the current blade you are using from razor to razor until you notice it getting dull. This option, however, probably isn't the best until you've reached a familiarity with each of the razors you are using.
  3. You could simply use a new blade every time you switch razors, even if you've only used the last one a few times. In all reality here, you're talking about blades that might cost 50 cents & that is on the high end of the spectrum.
  4. As you've suggested, yet another method is to only switch razors when the blade in the one you are currently using is ready to be discarded.

I find that I personally opt for method number 2 most frequently, but am known to occasionally operate by methods 3 and 4 as well. There are MANY ways to skin this cat.

I move the blade, I can't keep track of it otherwise. I change the blade after around four shaves. However if it was my first go with a brand new Vision I'd be using a new blade.

A word of caution, use the Vision the first few times on the "N" setting, the learning curve with this razor is STEEP.

Thanks, guys. And thanks, too, for the advice about the Vision. I was going to start with S, but I'll definitely start with N instead. No sense jumping off the deep end immediately.

As a rule, I use each razor in my rotation for a week. I typically change blades Sunday morning along with a different razor.

Enjoy your Vision, it's my favorite of all my razors!!

I've started to use each razor for about 5 days (the number of days I get out of a Derby). I also find my technique doesn't suffer as when I'm switching every day.

If you're like me, after using the Vision, you will not want to switch to another razor. I tried to switch in order to rotate between razors after getting the Vision, but soon gave up as I could get no where near the shave I get with the Vision.

Bud

I use the same razor until the blade is done. Multiple blades, even. I've trimmed down my collection to only 2 razors though. When I get bored with one, I switch to the other.

Ditto what Javyn said. I really like my Futur and use it mostly, but every now and again I pull out my Edwin Jagger with the standard Merkur Head.

Merkur HD when I'm in a hurry.

Gillette adjustable 1 week out of the month.

Merkur Vision for most of 3 weeks; if i used the gillette for 3 weeks and the VISION for only one, I would have to re-learn what I already knew over each month. By using the gillette for just one week, my VISION skills do not get rusty.

Plus, I leave the other razors unloaded until its their turn- that way they get a fresh blade. if i cannot remember when i changed it last, that's my other cue for a fresh blade. So in 1 month period, I use 5-6 blades.

Marty

You seem to have very good Questions ! I have been noticing some of your threads.

My razors sofar are

Gillette Executive (silver aristocrat)
Gillette Superspeed
Gillette fat handle adjustable " Fatboy" (3 modells at home)
Gillette Black handle adjustable
Gillette thin handle adjustable
Golden 500 Injector (not used cant seem to load it ,dont have fresh blades either waiting for the campus deal )

I used to mostly change to a different razor each day as I change the lather aswell, but will obviously need to cut down the razors to atleast a top 3 or top 4 because this way I really dont have a clue for most of the blades how long they have been in there I try to remember it and writing in SOTD which count the blade got does help you to remember SOTD is like a personall diary.

I like the idea of brother Kyle just change the blade to a different razor that would certainly help immensly would be a bit boring for my SOTD though I like a bit of variety one day its a Feathers day the next a Derby day, the following a Israeli etc. does it add to build ones technique I'd think not sofar I can tell and notice my best shaves come from the " Fatboy" for sure and I think the added weight to the razor is part responsible .

Rust , another good point by brother Kyle, I did notice and was surprised I got some rust on the blade is this bad ? hygiene wise ?

Hygiene wise I never hear people how they store the razor after its used do you let it sit down on the side of the bathtub like I do ? or do you put it back in its own box it came in ? is it bad hygiene to have it open ? a bathroom has quite some germs in the air , moist ????

My razorblade Agent had a brilliant remark he said in some countries or some clients like to insert a fresh new blade with each shave , I liked that idea very much offcourse his prices were accordingly so you would get away with doing so would you need a fresh blade with a Feather or Derby ? no I dont think so what if they were 5 cents a piece Id still think NO it would be a waiste of resource or pulliting the environment the Feathers get better even after the 3rd shave its like they get honed.

You really have given me much thought now.. I do notice though that I really want to switch a blade after the 4rth shave for real even if it could stand a 5th why bother or take the risk the blades are no way near the prices of a M3
and we shouldnt put up with a mediocre shave is there actually someone on this board that uses a blade for 7 shaves ? or 6 and if so Id think it will be a Feather.

Whats the history of DE blades why doesnt a manufacter write on the box how many shaves the Blade was intended for ( I know the bear of men is as diverse as mankind ) was it the idea of these companies to have you use a new blade for each shave if so then the price look out would def. change it all

SSLStudio said:
...is there actually someone on this board that uses a blade for 7 shaves ? or 6 and if so Id think it will be a Feather.
When only using a single razor, I usually get 6 or 7 shaves from a Derby. For some reason, however, when a blade has been in multiple razors, it seems to only last 5 or 6.

Rust on the blade... Hmm. Thoreau's brother, IIRC, died of tetanus contracted through a shaving cut with a rusty blade. It occurs to me that a wise precaution when beginning wet shaving MIGHT be to update one's tetanus shot. (I'm covered: I got a tetanus booster when I got a cat.)

Regarding above comments on the Vision: I had my first shave today, and I see exactly what you mean about how hard it will be to move on to another razor. Unbelievable. I blogged about it here, but the short version is: BBS shave, setting at N, new Feather blade, and remarkably easy to use---indeed, the Vision so far is the easiest razor I've tried: it somehow helps maintain the right angle, no trouble under the nose, etc., etc. Wonderful. I know there are some who don't like it, but that just leaves more of them for the rest of us.... oh, wait. I probably shouldn't have ordered more. :)

Kyle said:
When only using a single razor, I usually get 6 or 7 shaves from a Derby. For some reason, however, when a blade has been in multiple razors, it seems to only last 5 or 6.

Thats kinda a very interesting REMARK !!!!!! that would mean due to different blade exposure ! the blade detoriates faster ! very,very interesting ! you get more juice for your money by keeping the blade in the same razor as to conclude.

Leisureguy said:
Rust on the blade... Hmm. Thoreau's brother, IIRC, died of tetanus contracted through a shaving cut with a rusty blade. It occurs to me that a wise precaution when beginning wet shaving MIGHT be to update one's tetanus shot. (I'm covered: I got a tetanus booster when I got a cat.)

Regarding above comments on the Vision: I had my first shave today, and I see exactly what you mean about how hard it will be to move on to another razor. Unbelievable. I blogged about it here, but the short version is: BBS shave, setting at N, new Feather blade, and remarkably easy to use---indeed, the Vision so far is the easiest razor I've tried: it somehow helps maintain the right angle, no trouble under the nose, etc., etc. Wonderful. I know there are some who don't like it, but that just leaves more of them for the rest of us.... oh, wait. I probably shouldn't have ordered more. :)

Do you think you will be ordering the Futur aswell in the near Futur ? no pun intended ! Im kinda struck between one school that raves about the Futur is the best and the others that rave about the Vision but complaining the head is too big for under the nose so so far I kept away from both. Im also waiting for the campus deal on injectors perhaps that ends all the double edge tirany ? does it what if that razor and the Schicks give a better shave then a DE. Id still use the DE because of the challenge not to cut yourself. or perhaps I will grow tired of all the SCAD,SBAD,RAD it would be boring to shave everyday with an injector but if its the best job for it would you sell all your kit ? Joel made a comment he would but would he really ?

I actually have a Futur, which is what I started with in this latest safety razor exploration (latest since decades ago). I have to say that I don't like it as much as the Vision nor as much, for that matter, as the Merkur 1904. The Vision is just easier to use and does a better job.... But then I used the Vision most recently. I recall that I always think that the fountain pen I'm currently using is my favorite. :001_smile

I'm always surprised when I read about the number of shaves others get out of a blade. Been using feathers for quite some time now and get four good shaves and the fifth day it's like someone snuck into the bathroom and took a file to the blade... pulling, tugging and generally tears up my face. The difference between day four and five is quite dramatic. Are Derby's and others more forgiving in this regard?

I am not really experienced in all this, but I find I only get about four shaves a blade. By the way, I doubt it is the feathers, as I have heard other people say they get more life out of a feather than any other blade.

I would bet quite a bit that blade life is going to inevitably vary from person to person as a result of any number of small factors. Climate conditions in you bathroom that impact oxidation. Shaving angle in the razor you use. Especially how thick your bear is, and how tough the individual hairs are.

So I'm sticking with the theory of changing blades when I notice a negative difference in the shave, regardless of whether it aligns with the blade life anyone else says they get.

tribecom said:
I'm always surprised when I read about the number of shaves others get out of a blade. Been using feathers for quite some time now and get four good shaves and the fifth day it's like someone snuck into the bathroom and took a file to the blade... pulling, tugging and generally tears up my face. The difference between day four and five is quite dramatic. Are Derby's and others more forgiving in this regard?
I think you will be disappointed in the Derby Extra if you are looking for blade longevity. I get 5 Great, 1 Good, and 1 Acceptable shaves from a Feather in a Futur. With the same Futur and a Derby I get one so, so, 3 Good to Great, and that's it.. Any further exploitation of that blade results in carnage, with my face providing the meat.

R

rainman

Personally I don't leave any blades in a razor unless your talking injector. I generally rotate between 3 razors. I try to only have one used blade per razor type DE/SE/Injector at a time.

Top Bottom