What's new

Nail Care

I seem to have stopped biting my nails, the only nail care regime I'm aware of is to eat well and wait a few years.

Any tips?

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have no idea. I still have a nibble on my thumb nails occasionally. I think that eating healthy and maybe using hand creams could help.

Jojoba oil is excellent for keeping the nails and cuticles from drying out. A few drops spread on the nails and cuticles every morning after showering helps out.

Use old-fashioned emery boards to file and smooth the nails, especially the edges where they tend to split. Keep your nail length roughly even with the fingertip, neither too short nor too long.

Nutritional deficiencies often show up in the nails. Nails may become brittle, cracked or discolored. I'm hesitant to step into the minefield of nutritional advice! In my experience, some of the foods that can help with that are whole grains, leafy greens, beans & legumes, nuts & seeds, fruits & berries. These provide B-vitamins, Vitamin C, Iron, Folate, Calcium & Magnesium. Vitamins D and B-12 are important to overall health and many modern people are deficient in them.

I keep my nails clipped short and rounded off. I read everywhere to square your fingernails, but I don't know of anybody who does this. I trim about twice a month, then run a diamond file across to make sure they don't tear.

Nutrient-wise...
I take a daily biotin and Vitamin E pill, to help with hair / skin / nail health. I don't rub anything onto my nails, but the daily application of beard oil has to work its way into my nails.

Top Bottom