What's new

Nagura

What is a good nagura for dressing/smoothing 8k and higher grits that are in the 'harder' synthetic stonne range? King 8k nagura vs the naniwa nagura? I see naniwa offers a wider range of nagura in different grits, but they are a little pricey, but you do get more nagura with the naniwa vs the king. Which is better? Are the naniwa's nagura softer or harder than king ?

If you have a diamond plate and all you want is to dress the stone, you can grab a random hard rock which is almost flat then do the rest of the work on the diamond plate, to then use that to dress the stone, works perfectly for me. if you dont want to use the slurry from the naguras, then its wasted money imo.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
I like the King 8k (you can find it on Amazon), but with a warning. It can release chunks of grit so you should really not use it to make slurry for sharpening. And you should rinse the hone well after using it to dress the stone. It’s 8k, so it doesn’t mess up the finish of a high-grit stone.

I like the King 8k (you can find it on Amazon), but with a warning. It can release chunks of grit so you should really not use it to make slurry for sharpening. And you should rinse the hone well after using it to dress the stone. It’s 8k, so it doesn’t mess up the finish of a high-grit stone.
Hey buddy!
So the king is really soft. I know you sometimes use the naniwa brown biscuit. I wander if there 8k naniwa nagura is as hard as the brown biscut.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Not that I know of, and the Naniwa brown biscuit is 400 grit or thereabouts.

All these ‘naguras’ are just pieces of synthetic whetstones. If there was enough interest you could just cut a synthetic of any desired grit into say 6 pieces.

Probably the easiest way to get a good smoothing stone is just use a jnat tomo or a Mikawa nagura. That works fine.

BBW side of a coticule works very well for smoothing. I used to use that. But have since found that 600 grit on my finishers delivers the same edge as a higher polish.

Top Bottom