What's new

Nacet vs. Perma-Sharp

I've found Nacet and Perma-sharp to be two of the sharpest of the P&G blades and I get better shaves in mild razors with them compared to Platinums, King C's, 7 O'Clock Yellows, Astra SP (Astra SS are pretty sharp but not quite Nacet/Perma-Sharp sharp), PolSilver etc.

The other two I've found to be around a similar level of sharpness are the Gillette London Bridges (from China) and the 7 O'Clock Black's (Indian, takes a shave or two to sharpen up) so you might want to give those two a try as well.

My top 5 blades in den (used in all de's i own-vintage and modern)
Perma-sharp
Bic Chrome Platinum
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Wilkinson Sword (black plastic container)

also the polsilver si were excellent blades (out of production unfortunately)

in conclusion i find the perma's and the nacet on par

That's weird, the Permasharp were always rather Permadull and very mild for me, but didn't cut as nicely. :eek2:
Hmm... I usually shave with a steep angle. My experience was quite different to that of the OP and I am wondering why. But it's shaving, so much YMMV.

Gillette Platinum: There seem to be quite some Platinums, not all are made in St. Petersburg. But I have them in good memory, but didn't use them for a while.
I shaved yesterday w/ a perma-sharp in the RR .95 OC; 2 passes and one of my best shaves ever. I had just finished using a KAI blade previously for 10 shaves-the Perma beats the KAI blade- much smoother and left no areas for buffing. I will have to see how the Nacets work in about 2 weeks.

marty

Feather and Perma-Sharp are my go to blades in the Ti Blackbird.

Found Nacet to be not as smooth, but that was some time ago. Time for a re-test! :)
Perma-Sharp blades work well in all the razors i have tried them in. For some reason the Nacet blade performed really well in a razor with a more rigid blade clamping, like a Tatara or a Henson razor. To me the Nacet blade feels a little softer/more flexible then Perma-Sharp. My Rex Ambassador does not work well with a Nacet blade for me. Too much blade chatter. This might be the case for your Blackbird as well. Try the Nacet blade in a different razor (i am sure you have one:)), you will probably like it better.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Perma-Sharp blades work well in all the razors i have tried them in. For some reason the Nacet blade performed really well in a razor with a more rigid blade clamping, like a Tatara or a Henson razor. To me the Nacet blade feels a little softer/more flexible then Perma-Sharp. My Rex Ambassador does not work well with a Nacet blade for me. Too much blade chatter. This might be the case for your Blackbird as well. Try the Nacet blade in a different razor (i am sure you have one:)), you will probably like it better.
Good info. Thank you for the idea to try the Nacet in my Tatara razors. :)

Reactions: JPO
I just took a look at my blades today.

I could tell that Perma-sharp is definitely platinum coated blade from its reflection, and it looks almost identical to my Gillette Platinums except different markings.

I am wondering why Gillette didn't put any information about the coating on the package, and RBC says Perma-sharp is not coated too.

Perma-sharp and Gillette platinums are stiffer blades, and they are the smoothest blades I've ever used.

Nacet is softer and thinner and will likely produce more blade drag on some of my razors.

lasta

Blade Biter
I just took a look at my blades today.

I could tell that Perma-sharp is definitely platinum coated blade from its reflection, and it looks almost identical to my Gillette Platinums except different markings.

I am wondering why Gillette didn't put any information about the coating on the package, and RBC says Perma-sharp is not coated too.

Perma-sharp and Gillette platinums are stiffer blades, and they are the smoothest blades I've ever used.

Nacet is softer and thinner and will likely produce more blade drag on some of my razors.
Don't have a Perma sharp in rotation, but just flexed it to compare with the Platinum. The Nacet is stiffer.
20220922_002346.jpg
I know this is controversial and all, but someone not too long ago said that Gillette sources 3 different steel roll stocks.

One production run may be different from another.

Don't have a Perma sharp in rotation, but just flexed it to compare with the Platinum. The Nacet is stiffer.
View attachment 1526023
I know this is controversial and all, but someone not too long ago said that Gillette sources 3 different steel roll stocks.

One production run may be different from another.
Maybe I made a mistake.
:001_unsurI though Gillette Platinum and Permasharp are stiffer because I feel they are smoother in some razors that have less blade support.

Top Bottom