What's new

NAA .22 PUG Mini-Revolver

I was thinking of getting one of these- has anyone had any dealings with this specific model- and also with the manufacturer.....

No expert by any stretch, but what do you want it for.

Its pretty small, supposedly not that accurate and the .22 isn't exactly the world's most powerful cartridge.

I was thinking of getting one of these- has anyone had any dealings with this specific model- and also with the manufacturer.....

North American Arms is a reputable and reliable gun manufacturer. While I myself have never fired one of their guns I met people who own and carry them for personal defense. That being said, have you ever fired a .22 magnum out of a 1 1/8" barrel? I've fired .22's out of small pocket pistols, think of the Beretta Bobcat and the Taurus PT22 and because of their size they have more of a recoil than many larger guns, or so it felt like to me. You can go ahead and get it but don't be surprised if it jolts your hand. Physics won't be denied. If you want a small pistol for concealed carry check out their .32 and .380 or you can look at the Kel-Tec pistols or even the new Ruger LCP.

looking for a small close quarter self defense weapon- sometimes the others are too much to carry in this hot weather- Usually have a .38 special or a .45 1911.

also the ammo of the .22 is a lot less than the .45 or .38- so target practice would be more economical- so I can become as proficient with this weapon as I am with the others.

I carry the S&W 442 in .38+P as my off-duty gun. It fits nicely in the right front pocket of my pants and a speed strip with 5 extra rounds in the other pocket. The recoil is manageable and the weapon is very concealable.... A .22 is (edited - forgot to type the is) ok for target practice, not as a line of defense...

I have both a NAA Black Widow and Mini-Mag. Neither are by any means target pieces, nor are they pieces you want to practice with very much. This is certainly not a slam against NAA Mini's as they are what they are! They are not primary self defense guns. They are deep concealment, last ditch carry weapons. For their intended purpose they are great. But to carry one of them alone I would feel terribly undergunned!

They are up close and personal weapons. NAA Mini's could more accurately be described as "The Nasal Inhalant From Hell"! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

They are deep concealment, last ditch carry weapons. For their intended purpose they are great.

They are up close and personal weapons. NAA Mini's could more accurately be described as "The Nasal Inhalant From Hell"! :w00t::w00t::w00t:

thus the reason I was looking at them- since I usually carry my 38, I would look at this as a last ditch effort to preservation.

Thank you Ron!

I personally would not bother carrying a gun smaller than 38 special/.380 acp. Gunmakers have done an incredible job coming out with guns in powerful self defense chamberings that are small and easily concealed the last decade or so. New guns designed for concealed carry hit the market regularly. I don't really think more than a single backup will ever be necessary, but in case it is, I'm not going to trust my life to a .22.

Look at it this way: put a primary gun in a quality IWB strong side holster, and then you can put backups in any one of the following places without having to resort to plinking cartridges.

1. Weakside cross-draw holsters: can provide a second primary gun that is almost as fast to draw as (and in some situations like sitting down faster than) your primary.
2. Smartcarry. You can carry full sized guns in these. My CCW instructor carries a S&W .500 in one.
3. Bellybands. Similar to the smart carry: slow to deploy, but can carry large guns
4. Shirt holsters. Will easily hold compact guns in defense calibers.
5. Pocket holsters: Snub nosed .38s, various .380s, and even some very small 9mm and .40s will easily fit into mid to large sized pockets.
6. Ankle holsters: not a particularly good choice IMHO, but I'd take it over a mini .22 on a necklace.

My point? Employ all of the above-discussed methods and you will have 7 guns on your person, all in much better calibers than a little .22 mini revolver. If I'm in a self defense situation, I'm shooting to stop the threat as fast as possible. That means I want a good JHP in a proven self defense caliber. And for me, a .22 doesn't cut it. So I'd rather pack an extra mag for my primary weapon or suck it up and bring a second gun than waste my time with a mini .22.

What are you guys doing and where are you going that you need any concealed gun, big or small? Is this real or is it just another way of spending large amounts of money on cool toys? I read these arguments and wonder "Am I living a way too safe life? I've never felt any need for any concealed weapon, just my feet, and my good sense."

(I'm not anti-gun, btw, have shot many at the range, including silenced MP-5's, which are quite fun.) Just curious about these discussions of best carry guns.

I’m not advocating anything, but I would like to point out that not all 22s are created equal. A 22 WMR (which the Pug is chambered for) has twice the muzzle velocity of a 22 LR. Weapons like the Pug and the Black Widow are intended for point blank use with a 40 or 50 grain hollow point. I have seen one blow a wounded chicken into a cloud of feathers.
Doug

"Am I living a way too safe life? I've never felt any need for any concealed weapon, just my feet, and my good sense."

As long as you can run, then no problem. Keep out of areas that you know are bad. Unfortunately the bad guys like to look for easy prey and easy money. I know of several occasions where people have been attacked and killed in the parking lot of a mall. Concealed carry serves a purpose of allowing an individual to defend themselves from human predators. Many times just showing the weapon will cause the bad guy to turn and flee. Sometimes it doesn't. Those are the times read about in the local paper.

Wil, I have owned a Naa mini in .22 mag with the 1 5/8" barrel. I would not go any shorter than that. There is a lot of wasted powder as it is. Also the thing makes one heck of a racket. A friend of mine dubbed it the "noisey cricket" after the gun in "Men in Black". At the indoor range I go to from time to time, people will peek around the corner to see what the heck I'm shooting.
You should see their faces when they see the tiny thing my hands. LOL

As for accuracy, I can hit a torso sized target reliably at 7 yards, but it is anyones guess where on that target it will strike. A lot of that is due to my big hands and the tiny handle. I would suggest the cowboy grips, or something similar. ( never liked the folding grips)

The recoil doesn't bother me at all. I have had some guns that sting my hand. Your fingers will get sore from reloading it before your hand starts to hurt.

They are exceptionally well made, and they go bang every time.

If you plan on carrying it as a backup, i suggest getting a "Guru Dave" pocket holster from www.pocketholsters.com

Feel free to pm me if you want to discuss it further.

P.S. I'd go for the 15/8" barrel and spend the few extra bucks to get both the .22lr and the .22 mag cylinders.

I have a CCWP and I always cary At least one side arm on me all the time. The kel tec is a great choice in eaither caliber 380 or 32 but the 32 packs more punch. as to the 22 cal pistols they fit in any pocket and it is beter to have one in any caliber when you need it than not to have on at all. Whitch is what happened to me robbed at gun point christmas day. so that is why i carry all the time now.

As it seems you really want a .22, NAA is a reputable manufacturer of quality firearms.....

Now, having said that....they are truly a last ditch item. I mean, it'd hurt if you threw it at somebody.....there are better .22 pistols out there.

If you want a .22, I'd suggest a Sig Mosquito....a relatively new gun, with a little more size.

hmmm...didn't see the 25 anywhere in that, i have a little one out in the safe. I've never carried it though, but the size is very convenient. I had a carry permit for a while and kept a 38, 9mm and sig 45acp on it. (always kept glasers in the 38 and one at the top of the stack in the 45 and 9mm) gave me flexibility. although it looks hell of dorky I kept the 38 in a fanny pack, easiest way to carry it. my take:

1. any gun is better than no gun, most confrontations will take place within 5ft., and since your goal is to get them to go away the noise is as likely to help as the actual shooting. if you're involved in an actual shootout I'm betting luck is going to be a big decider in the end. (the guy that taught me in my concealed carry course was retired secret service, trained FBI etc. he actually once while carry a single action 1911 in an operation was face to face with armed men and realized he was hammer down, bluffed his way out fortunately for him).

bigger is better of course, same instructor never carrys anything other than a 45 now (having carried and shot all types, and p228's in 9mm while in SS). he likes the fact that with the big gun even poorly placed shot is going to take its toll.

2. in regards to why carry. I'm a firm believer that if you have it you'll never need it and if you don't you will. My grandfather just passed away, he had a carry permit for 30+ years, never once needed to pull his gun, but carried one 95% of the time. I see you're from the bay area. I dated a woman who lived in palo alto for a while, she carried (without permit mind you, but her belief was better to take a chance on getting in trouble than being a victim) and she almost got car jacked in traffic till she stuck her little beretta in the guys face and he ran off.

anyways, my 2c.

Red

Top Bottom