What's new

n00b still in research

frankly just sick of disposable razors and gel goop. i got a hot shave from the barber for the first time not that long ago and would like to bring part of that experience home. i want to take the time to have a good quality shave, not to mention nothing beats the feel of a proper hot lather.

just piecing together a starting kit right now and reading about technique.

quick question. is the mercur HD classic good for a beginner? i have moderate facial hair, im not a bear.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
frankly just sick of disposable razors and gel goop. i got a hot shave from the barber for the first time not that long ago and would like to bring part of that experience home. i want to take the time to have a good quality shave, not to mention nothing beats the feel of a proper hot lather.

just piecing together a starting kit right now and reading about technique.

quick question. is the mercur HD classic good for a beginner? i have moderate facial hair, im not a bear.

Welcome to B&B!
Glad you're here.
I know what you mean, that's why I took up this little "hobby", to make the experience enjoyable.
The HD is a fine razor to start with, a lot of folks here have chosen it as their first.
You can also look on the Buy Sell Trade Forum right here for a great price on a Vintage razor. Prices are the best you will find anywhere for certain.

Don't be shy about asking questions, guys here love to answer questions!
Keep us posted on your progress.

I don't know about the Merkur, I started with a nice little flare tip superspeed.

Basically all you need though is:

1. A Brush. Something nice but nothing that will break the bank, preferably badger.

2. A nice glycerin based soap, or a good cream. The Art of Shaving has some very nice soaps.

3. A bowl to put the soap or cream in and rub it around to make lather. A berry bowl from wally world will do.

4. A stout razor. Start with something on the cheap side, this will give you a starting point to know what you want in a razor.

5. Some sharp blades. Don't be afraid to jump into the deep end of the pool here. I found the cheap blades are just that, cheap. So, go ahead and order you some Feathers, or Merkurs, something that will give you a smooth shave.

That is basically all you need in for a nice, close, comfortable wet shave. Well, that and a good hot towel.

Where are the extras you ask? Well they are just that, extras. The only extra I use is some Aqua Velva. And that is what I like. Try a few samples and don't be afraid to email some of these companies for samples. Go to the vendor list here at B&B, pick out a few and send them some emails. you might be surprised. There are some sample packs that I encourage you to buy, like to Geo F Trumpers, that sample pack is great, and The Art of Shaving, they will give you what they call the "perfect shave".

But most importantly, have fun and be yourself.

JoshD

Welcome to B&B!
Glad you're here.
I know what you mean, that's why I took up this little "hobby", to make the experience enjoyable.
The HD is a fine razor to start with, a lot of folks here have chosen it as their first.
You can also look on the Buy Sell Trade Forum right here for a great price on a Vintage razor. Prices are the best you will find anywhere for certain.

Don't be shy about asking questions, guys here love to answer questions!
Keep us posted on your progress.

+1 Welcome Aboard! Good Luck!

The Merkur is a fine razor. You may also want to look on BST for a Gillette Super Speed or Tech. These are also excellent razors which provide a close shave without being overly aggressive. They make a perfect first DE razor. Of all my razors, I like the SS the best and they can be found in very good condition for $10 to$20. Even though they can be inexpensive, I haven't found a more expensive razor that I like more.

+1 on the Gillette Superspeeds! Just shaved with my '60s flairtip SS for the 1st time in a few weeks, and was reminded of what a simple pleasure it is to shave with one of these engineering marvels! Welcome to B&B! I'm sure you'll be hooked in no time!:laugh:

I'm a big fan of the Merkur HD 34c. You'll get great shaves from it. You'll use it until you're sick of it, and you'll buy something real old or super fancy. You'll probably pay a bunch of money for it. You'll use it for a while, then you'll realize that you just really like the HD, and you'll go back to it. After that you might only use the "better" razor for "something different" which sort of means that you just feel guilty about letting it hang there. Then you'll buy another razor, because you're pretty sure it has everything that the others don't, and it might, but you'll keep using that HD. Let's face it. You're going to have to shave a lot, so why not change it up a little along the way. You're going to give yourself some magical shaves, and you're probably going to bloody up a shirt or two, but one day you might have to teach your son to shave, and you'll give him the coolest one in your collection, but probably not your HD, because that's your razor.

Welcome to B&B and great choice to start wet shaving.

I am a relative newbie (4 weeks now), and don't know anything about the Merkur but I can recommend the Muhle R89. I also picked up a 40s Super Speed and a 56 Red Tip, but have not tried those yet. Just watch out, the ADs can hit you quick!

Welcome to B&B and great choice to start wet shaving.

I am a relative newbie (4 weeks now), and don't know anything about the Merkur but I can recommend the Muhle R89. I also picked up a 40s Super Speed and a 56 Red Tip, but have not tried those yet. Just watch out, the ADs can hit you quick!

+1 Out of the razors that I have tried out so far, to my noob face the Muhle Head has been my favorite. The Slim adjustable being another excellent one. I second the AD warning. Already running out of space and its only been a month XD

Welcome. Give my regahds to Mayor Quimby.

My first real razor was the Slant HD, but if you don't have coarse thick stubble you may want to go with something else.

Don't forget the "Barber Pole" version if you want a longer handle.

Top Bottom