What's new

Mystic water shave soap

Thanks for all the advice and pictures guys. I have my favourite soaps and just feel mystic water is not for me.
I will either give it away or sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find it works great in a stick. It is one of my best performing soaps in stick form. You have to try a stick.

MysticWater.JPG

I fought with Mystic Water for a while when I got a load of samples a few months ago. I had pretty much decided it wasn't worth all the effort even though I enjoy the scents and the post shave feel. It wasn't that it was hard to lather, it was just hard to get a stable lather. A couple of weeks ago, I found a method that works well for me. I found that going with a barely damp brush and getting a good paste was the best place to start. I face lather, so I take the pasty brush and go to the face with paint brush strokes and work quickly. I can get a stable but pasty covering on my face with this method. Then I dip the tip of the brush in water and work it in a couple of times, always using paint brush strokes. For whatever reason, if I use swirling motions I get bubbly lather instead of creamy lather. Using this method I can get a good lather with only a little more fuss than my other soaps that lather easily.

I use it often and it works well for me at home. It's not difficult to produce a wonderfully slick and protective lather and takes no extra time than any of my other favorites.

HOWEVER (it's a big however) I took a tub with me on vacation and I ended up having to use insane amounts of soap to produce a thin and dissipating lather that I would have to rework just moving from cheek to cheek and I'm not a slow shaver. I came home after vacation and without changing anything (using the same brush, soap, prep etc.) it transformed back into the easy to use and wonderful performing soap I was used to. I have no idea what the difference was, but the change in the results was extreme.

I use it often and it works well for me at home. It's not difficult to produce a wonderfully slick and protective lather and takes no extra time than any of my other favorites.

HOWEVER (it's a big however) I took a tub with me on vacation and I ended up having to use insane amounts of soap to produce a thin and dissipating lather that I would have to rework just moving from cheek to cheek and I'm not a slow shaver. I came home after vacation and without changing anything (using the same brush, soap, prep etc.) it transformed back into the easy to use and wonderful performing soap I was used to. I have no idea what the difference was, but the change in the results was extreme.
It's the hardness of the water wherever you went on vacation. I experienced the same thing. It lathers well for me at home; my water at home is very soft. I really like MW soaps. The scents are always well done and of the perfect strength. Shaves are smooth and the post-shave is wonderful.

I've had great results using Marco's method and a boar brush. So my experience has been different because I start with the brush dripping wet. This method works with boar and horse but not badger. I get tons of rich thick creamy lather from Mystic Water soaps. Maybe because it's made locally and I use local DC tap water, or something. But I have found it quite easy to load and lather up. It's a popular soap so keep trying. Or send it to me if you don't like it.

If you're ever having trouble with hard water, try diluting it with bottled or filtered water and see if that helps.

Sorry to bring back a dead(ish) thread, but I was intrigued by a scent they have and couldn't find any reviews already out there ... Anyone try their oatmeal stout scent? Any thoughts on this... Description... Strength?

Thanks everyone! [emoji846]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I tried MW for the first time this morning. My routine starts with a lightly damp brush anyway, adding water only if needed, so I had a great lather. But I would agree that the lather is not dense in the way that, say, Wholly Kaw or Mike's lather is. It's lighter. But I still had a superior shave. I think MW stand-out features are slickness and post shave. I also like MW scents. This morning I used Barbershop, it's a beautiful barbershop scent IMO. I also sniffed a few other MW soaps and they're all quite nice. I don't like sweet honey scents so I would pass on those. Final comment: a great soap that stands up to any of my favorites.

I tried MW for the first time this morning. My routine starts with a lightly damp brush anyway, adding water only if needed, so I had a great lather. But I would agree that the lather is not dense in the way that, say, Wholly Kaw or Mike's lather is. It's lighter. But I still had a superior shave. I think MW stand-out features are slickness and post shave. I also like MW scents. This morning I used Barbershop, it's a beautiful barbershop scent IMO. I also sniffed a few other MW soaps and they're all quite nice. I don't like sweet honey scents so I would pass on those. Final comment: a great soap that stands up to any of my favorites.

I'm a woman new to wet shaving. Do you think the sweet honey scent would be something I'd like? I'm looking for a soap that doesn't smell extremely masculine.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

Try loading more soap onto your brush as this will provide a creamier lather similar to any other soap available. If you find it to be a 'lighter' lather, you are probably not loading enough, from my nine-year experience using this soap as my primary one.
Good luck.

Try loading more soap onto your brush as this will provide a creamier lather similar to any other soap available. If you find it to be a 'lighter' lather, you are probably not loading enough, from my nine-year experience using this soap as my primary one.
Good luck.

I probably should have said, given all things equal, "it's a lighter lather." Load more? Sure, I can definitely do that. I have about 20 soaps across WK, B&M, CRSW, PAA, Mike's, Caties, Lather Bros, Shannon's, and Noble Otter. I also tend to operate within a certain bandwidth of technique. In other words, if I have to go to great lengths to whip up a good lather, I'll generally pass on the soap because there are so many other great soaps that do just fine without a lot of finesse. That said, I don't think Mystic Water soaps are in that category. If loading is the issue, extra loading is worth the outcome. On the other hand, my shave this morning was perfectly good without extra lather.

I'm a woman new to wet shaving. Do you think the sweet honey scent would be something I'd like? I'm looking for a soap that doesn't smell extremely masculine.

For me, scent is personal. Unless, I see a lot of good reviews for a particular soap/scent, I generally get samples before I buy. If the soap maker doesn't provide samples, I can sometimes get them from one of the great members in this forum.

I'd like to comment on leg shaving. I road cycle, and when I can't seem to ignore the tradition of the sport or my vanity, I shave my legs. For me, my legs and face are two different shaving experiences. Its seems that my skin and hair are very different, as well. You're probably a better leg shaver than me, but I contort my body in all directions to get my legs shaved. I'm not sure I would attempt to use a DE razor or a straight razor, for that matter, to shave my legs. What I like about cartridge razors for my legs is that the heads pivot. I suspect I would have to perform more contortions if I used a DE razor. Lastly, my wife tried DE shaving a couple of times. She preferred thinner lathers with more slickness. So, a lightly loaded Mystic Water soap might be perfect for the legs. I haven't tried (yet)!

For me, scent is personal. Unless, I see a lot of good reviews for a particular soap/scent, I generally get samples before I buy. If the soap maker doesn't provide samples, I can sometimes get them from one of the great members in this forum.

I'd like to comment on leg shaving. I road cycle, and when I can't seem to ignore the tradition of the sport or my vanity, I shave my legs. For me, my legs and face are two different shaving experiences. Its seems that my skin and hair are very different, as well. You're probably a better leg shaver than me, but I contort my body in all directions to get my legs shaved. I'm not sure I would attempt to use a DE razor or a straight razor, for that matter, to shave my legs. What I like about cartridge razors for my legs is that the heads pivot. I suspect I would have to perform more contortions if I used a DE razor. Lastly, my wife tried DE shaving a couple of times. She preferred thinner lathers with more slickness. So, a lightly loaded Mystic Water soap might be perfect for the legs. I haven't tried (yet)!

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into the soap samples. That is a great suggestion, which is what I've done with razor blades so I will be able to find out which are best for me.

I guess it's different for everyone in terms of shaving legs, and everyone has different hair texture on the legs, just like different guys have different beard textures. I actually discovered this forum when researching wet shaving, and I saw some YouTube videos demonstrating leg shaving with a DE razor.

I'll look into Mystic Water soap samples, so that way I can try different fragrances.

I find the MW soap scents are pretty straight forward and simple. They smell as described. It’s one of the things I appreciate about them.

She has several great floral scents, even for me as a man.

2 of my favorites that are still in inventory are:
Rosalimone
Lily of the Valley.

I'm curious if the shave sticks are as finicky with loading as the pucks. I believe shave sticks have a higher water content to facilitate the soap transferring to the skin. I believe I will be giving Brown Windsor a try. Kinda like the Lewis and Clark history associated with the scent profile, and if the stick is easier with loading, I may go that route.

Only have a few shaves left with my Adirondack Jack tub. I've gotten some excellent shaves with it. But also thinking about purchasing the shave sticks next as I really like using them. But haven't tried Mystic's in stick form yet.

Looks like shave/brush is a fan of Mystic's shave sticks.

I had a fantastic lather with her Rosalimone on Sunday morning. It's my Sunday soap. I use it every Sunday morning. Lather was rich, creamy, and slick. Couldn't ask for a better lather. Post-shave was typical MW post-shave; in a word, perfect.

Top Bottom