What's new

Mystery Stone / Solid Finisher

Here we have another mystery Stone I would love some more background on if anyone can ID. This one is very soft, muds easily with a diamond plate. Did not see any self slurry when honing. Felt almost rubbery when honing. Erased the scratches from a Lune, and it is a hazy mirror finish. Hairs are flying off this edge post strop. Gonna test shave in 20. Curious what you guys think it is. Pics below.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

The finish on the side and front remind me of my mystory stone. Your description is spot on too! Easy to slurry but no auto slurry. It feels rubbery in a way, wet rubber if you will. I have two jnats with similar feel and they are two speed demons my fast but very fine examples.
One of your pics shows the typical lune chanfer. I would think it is most likely a extra extra fine La Lune. Nice size too!
DSC01185.JPG
DSC01187.JPG

Feel and act way different than a regular La Lune that and the fact they are so fine.

I am not so sure it is a Lune, does not have the same look and or coloring. Here is a picture with this Mystery next to a verified Xfine Lune.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

That is exatly my point the two look and feel nothing alike. I had two labled extra fine, which is what lead me to believe it was a Vos. but Vos. stone seem more mottled and mixed.
Your description is right on how I would describe the marron stone to a tee!

Idk though, lunes and special stones are some of the most unmistakable feeling stones under a razor. The purple especially has a really characteristic draw to it

My maroon stone has a very distinct feel. While honing and just gliding your finger on the surface. Feels very fine but your finger does not want to glide it comes to a quick stop if you will. I have two jnats with a simlar feel and one was qualified as being very grit rich.
A couple of years ago I had a Nakayama with area that had it too. I did not like the feeling of the two surfaces on one stone so I retured it. I did remember that the weird feeling side was a crazy fast cutter and the other side cut a lot slower.

Top Bottom