What's new

Mystery Stone L. Gampanini Primo From Milano, Italy

Already created the Artwork for that part of the article :a4:

proxy.php

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Thank you for all the research on this stone. The artwork is beautiful. I would love to be of service to the Rock Hound Community. This would be my second contribution of a wild stone I rescued. Jethro @fikira used a hone I rescued on his “Japanese razor stones kanji and more” site. I am still amazed at the things I find by sellers who think, treat, and price these hones as nothing more that paperweights

Thank you for all the research on this stone. The artwork is beautiful. I would love to be of service to the Rock Hound Community. This would be my second contribution of a wild stone I rescued. Jethro @fikira used a hone I rescued on his “Japanese razor stones kanji and more” site. I am still amazed at the things I find by sellers who think, treat, and price these hones as nothing more that paperweights
I love threads like this! Thank you for sharing.

thank you to you both, i well appreciate it. all of that is a community thing, if Timwcic wouldnot have posted the pictures and if i would not have the catalogs we all would know nothing....

timwcic

"Look what I found"
Whether this stone is a missing link or grandpa’s razor hone from the old country, it is, to me, to worthy to be homeless. Did not want to lacquer the label to the stone. I carefully remover with some steam. Now I put it to use to see what I can squeeze out of it without worry. Put inside the top lid between lexan for protection. A small effort with a big reward

58AC2297-2E41-425A-8453-BAAFBF7FA702.jpeg
0E630DDC-AC14-4670-B00C-994BE3F714C1.jpeg

I actually bought a coticule look-alike with this same L. Gampanini label on it. In a couple days i'll take some pictures and post them. Im curious what kind of stone it actually is.

Last edited:
It's what french call Pierre du Sud Ouest or Pierre d'Italie, it was quarried near by Siena.
Easly to recognize from coticule because they are harder. Not a bad finisher if you have nothing better.

Whether this stone is a missing link or grandpa’s razor hone from the old country, it is, to me, to worthy to be homeless. Did not want to lacquer the label to the stone. I carefully remover with some steam. Now I put it to use to see what I can squeeze out of it without worry. Put inside the top lid between lexan for protection. A small effort with a big reward

View attachment 1050825View attachment 1050826
Next time I'll be in Milan, I'll ask around. Not the best time at the moment.

Nobody seems to have translated this yet, so please allow me:
"Milano - Italian Razor Hone, unbeaten in its quality and price. The best on the market."

Next time I'll be in Milan, I'll ask around. Not the best time at the moment.

Nobody seems to have translated this yet, so please allow me:
"Milano - Italian Razor Hone, unbeaten in its quality and price. The best on the market."

yeah thats what always happens in History....often Companies sourced their stones from other countries but labelled the stones as those had their origin in the country it was sold...so well it could be that there is an Italian Razor Hone from the region around Milano...but it also could be some german or UK slate....

Top Bottom