What's new

Mystery SS

I saw this oddball 1951 SS on eBay, and I bought it just to see it in person. It's the typical American SS style, not the English Rocket or German Parat. However, like the German Parat, there is no "MADE IN" stamp.

So the question is...why is the "MADE IN" stamp missing?

I do not believe that Gillette would accidentally forget something as important as the "MADE IN USA" stamp in a random batch of razors, since the "MADE IN USA" stamp was already in use for decades, and to remove the stamp would probably require changes in the production line. (And there were no changes to the razors at that time, other than the addition of the date code in the previous quarter.)

That means the "MADE IN" stamp was omitted on purpose...why?

Is this a German SS [made in the USA for export]?

Theories are welcome. (Let's kick this around a little. My personal database is for American Super-Speeds only, not English Rockets or German Parats, so I don't want to add this unless the consensus says it's an American SS model.)

Thanks,
Christopher

You have a knack for finding the oddities Christopher! Well this is is made exactly like an American made SS, same end caps, notch, handle. Even with Tanamack's odd end capped Rocket I'd have to guess this was made in the USA, of course it's only a guess. I have no idea why it would not have a "Made in"? Great find!!

Could it be that a previous owner sanded or polished the nickel plating off to expose the brass underneath and in so doing polished the wording off as well?

I am wondering this partly because the end caps are missing. These may have come off in the polishing.

Great looking razor by the way.

Could it be that a previous owner sanded or polished the nickel plating off to expose the brass underneath and in so doing polished the wording off as well?

I am wondering this partly because the end caps are missing. These may have come off in the polishing.

Oops! The original post is confusing. I'll edit and add photos.

(The original post also showed photos of a brassed 1941 Milord.)

Thanks,
Christopher

very nice find! I need him :w00t:

But I can't send him away until I know what he is called...

(I found it in Canada. Does anyone know in which year Gillette began manufacturing razors in Canada? Maybe this was an early USA export, before the Canadian factories were operating on their own?)

Me

My 1910 Gold DeLuxe Old Type is Made in Canada and some Techs. The Question is: what is the latest "Made in Canada".

My 1910 Gold DeLuxe Old Type is Made in Canada and some Techs. The Question is: what is the latest "Made in Canada".

That is a good question. (I don't know the answer.)

One more question: If the razor pictured above was mass produced in the USA for export (Canada/Germany), where is the rest of the shipment? (In other words, why haven't I seen this razor before?)

Me

That is a good question. (I don't know the answer.)

One more question: If the razor pictured above was mass produced in the USA for export (Canada/Germany), where is the rest of the shipment? (In other words, why haven't I seen this razor before?)

Me

a good question too!

Top Bottom