What's new

Mystery of the Self-Destructing Blade

I usually get 8 or 9 shaves from a DE blade. Even then most blades are OK, just past their prime. This morning I started my 8th shave with an Iridium Super. The 1st 7 shaves with this blade had been fine. Then I was out-of-town for a couple of days. Airplane. So no DE. The blade was clean and dry since the 7th shave 3 days ago.

This morning the blade didn’t cut. I tried WTG, XTG and ATG, including Gillette slide and J-hook. Very poor results. I took the blade out of the razor. It looked normal.

I’ve had a few dud blades out of the package, but I’ve never had a good blade become a dud later. Has this happened to you? Can you explain it?

Yes, just recently for the first time. I had a Indian Wilkinson Sword which I have been getting 5 shaves with them before I notice a tail off and toss them. Just this past week, the first 2 shaves were fine but on the 3rd shave it was brutal, worse than a carbon blade. I finished the shave but I should have tossed it after the first few strokes.

I usually get 8 or 9 shaves from a DE blade. Even then most blades are OK, just past their prime. This morning I started my 8th shave with an Iridium Super. The 1st 7 shaves with this blade had been fine. Then I was out-of-town for a couple of days. Airplane. So no DE. The blade was clean and dry since the 7th shave 3 days ago.

This morning the blade didn’t cut. I tried WTG, XTG and ATG, including Gillette slide and J-hook. Very poor results. I took the blade out of the razor. It looked normal.

I’ve had a few dud blades out of the package, but I’ve never had a good blade become a dud later. Has this happened to you? Can you explain it?

Razor blades are part cat. They might scratch you if you go away for a few days.

giphy.gif

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Maybe the kids had fun with Dads razor? 7 shaves on a any blade is excellent!

No kids at home. so that's not it. I've been using Nancy Boy preshave oil, which is pretty thick. I'm careful about cleaning my razor and blade after shaving. Still, is it possible that, during the three days off, the oil stuck to the blade edges and hardened? Sounds unlikely, but I don't have any other ideas.

Just putting it out there.....could the wife/girlfriend or somebody else have had a go with the razor?

I've had blades where I accidentally hit the sink or faucet while shaking it, and the shaves went south pretty quick afterwards. - Just another thought, that just maybe it made contact with another object and damaged the edge.

My Rockwell has been sitting with the same blade for weeks, and I grabbed it this morning for a final pass....the Feather in my OneBlade couldn't cut it (pun intended), so I grabbed Rocky for a 4th clean up pass to get a closer shave. (Blade was just fine, even after sitting out on a display rack for weeks, exposed to the humidity of showers by two people).

Yup, if I shave daily with a blade it gaves me smooth shaves every day. If I shave every 3 or 4 days I need a fresh blade because smoothness is gone. Well, great excuse to lower the stash and buy new blades.
Strange indeed.
Cheers

Just to confirm, I’m certain no one touched the razor while I was out of town. My wife isn’t interested. I also don’t recall any impact. So the search continues!

I had a similar experience with a carbon SE blade I attempted to protect from rust by storing it in isopropyl alcohol overnight. Looked OK but the edge sharpness was destroyed.

Top Bottom