What's new

Mystery Hones - Thoughts?

So I've been away for quite sometime, roughly 3 years. Given the current state that the country is in, I've had A LOT of time on my hands as of late. So I came across my tool box full of Straight Razor stones and restoration materials. I have two JNATs that I bought back in 2016, one I bought from Ebay and it was titled "Nakayama Kiita", this stone has some markings on the bottom side, but I can't read it lol. The second one I believe I bought from Etsy (Tomonagura). I have no idea what the second was is/was called, I've spent a few days researching and I believe....which moderate confidence, that it is a Shobu Mizu Asagi stone. It's sealed with Cashew lacquer on five sides and is a decent size bench stone.

I guess what I was hoping for, was if anyone here could shed some light on what these stones are. I do remember that I was specifically looking for Finisher stones when I was in the market to purchase these back in 2016. That being said, any and all advice/input is greatly appreciated!

Here is a link to my google photos where 21 photos are available. But below are just a few of them. JNAT - https://photos.app.goo.gl/EzDyMnWamN5Ff6br6

Attachments

• IMG_2634.jpeg
    IMG_2634.jpeg
    9 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2635.jpeg
    IMG_2635.jpeg
    9.7 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2716.jpeg
    IMG_2716.jpeg
    5.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2718.jpeg
    IMG_2718.jpeg
    6.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2643.jpeg
    IMG_2643.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2640.jpeg
    IMG_2640.jpeg
    8.5 MB · Views: 16
Just to not leave you unanswered. I am not an expert. The second stone if purchased at etsy by Tomonagura there is a great possibility of being what was described in the ad. The seller has extensive knowledge in jnats, most likely the description maybe correct.
As for the first stone, I believe it is practically impossible know the mine from and what it is about. The color can be said as Kiita (yelow color).
The most relevant is to use them as finishers and check for yourself whether they work as such or not.
Hope that others with more knowledge can give you a better answer.
Hope this helps.

Just to not leave you unanswered. I am not an expert. The second stone if purchased at etsy by Tomonagura there is a great possibility of being what was described in the ad. The seller has extensive knowledge in jnats, most likely the description maybe correct.
As for the first stone, I believe it is practically impossible know the mine from and what it is about. The color can be said as Kiita (yelow color).
The most relevant is to use them as finishers and check for yourself whether they work as such or not.
Hope that others with more knowledge can give you a better answer.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply Adonay, greatly appreciate it! I honestly never used either stone. I was adamant on trying my hand at it, and have the proper Nagura stones to work with (Botan, Tenyou, Meijiro...spelling?) but just haven't had the confidence or the time to do it. With the current issues we are all experiencing right now due to the Rona Virus, I'll set aside some time to play with both.

For those who like to shave with a razor it can be an interesting experience. If you have any questions there are many posts in this forum that can help you. Feel free to ask too. There are always cool people to help.

Top Bottom