With a 4cm slurry stone
Looks like Thuri but I think it's not

It takes minutes to raise slurry
Thin misty hardly visible slurry
All most nothing at all
It is a hard stone
Tried to finish a razor on it and it looks like a good finisher
Totally different finishing properties than the thuris that a have
Could you please share your thoughts about this stoneView attachment 1306635View attachment 1306635View attachment 1306637
It looks like some kind of slate, maybe a welsh one? I don't know a lot of them but it looks like a grey version of my purple slate.

It looks like some kind of slate, maybe a welsh one? I don't know a lot of them but it looks like a grey version of my purple slate.

When it is dry it looks like a thuringian
But it is very difficult to obtain slurry
The slurry stone is slipping over the big one with no effect
The feel under the razor is completely different the shave also
Could you please post a picture of your stone
Regards
Ganko

Legion

Staff member
When i have seen pictures of this stone my first thought was it's a thuri
When finely got the stone in my hands was a little surprised
26cm x5cmx2cm
With a 4cm slurry stone

All most nothing at all
It is a hard stone
Could you please share your thoughts about this stoneView attachment 1306635View attachment 1306635View attachment 1306637
Looks very similar to a broken slate hone I found recently. the piece I have is still barber hone sized.

AD0890A0-F9E9-4C24-AB98-30EAB4D4AE34.jpeg

I got a pretty big primitive cut translucent that looks grey like that if it's not in really bright light. I bought these today. Im curious to see what they are, iim not holding my breath though. View attachment 1305976View attachment 1305977View attachment 1305978View attachment 1305979View attachment 1305980View attachment 1305981View attachment 1305982View attachment 1305983View attachment 1305984View attachment 1305985
Middle one looks like a La lune.
Left big one is most likely a La lune but harder to tell.
Skinny one is harder to pinpoint. Looks Thuri like but the chip does not. Was it used with oil?
Try some king of degreaser to clean it and take some daylight picture if you can(wet and dry).

When it is dry it looks like a thuringian
But it is very difficult to obtain slurry
The slurry stone is slipping over the big one with no effect
The feel under the razor is completely different the shave also
Could you please post a picture of your stone
Regards
Ganko
Skinny one is harder to pinpoint. Looks Thuri like but the chip does not. Was it used with oil?
Try some king of degreaser to clean it and take some daylight picture if you can(wet and dry).
I haven't gotten them yet, but i plan on giving them a bath when they show up and i'll take more pictures.

6x2x1" Looks like a coticule. Texture is brittle, glassy, and HARD... feels like a les lat hybrid or novaculite. Perfectly square cut. Wont be able to test it out for 3 more weeks (all my shaving kit is packed up).

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_124450009.jpg
    IMG_20210804_124450009.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20210804_124454784.jpg
    IMG_20210804_124454784.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20210804_124457817.jpg
    IMG_20210804_124457817.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20210804_124500819.jpg
    IMG_20210804_124500819.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 27
The narrower, longer, grey one is a slate. Difficult to say what kind tbh, but at a guess perhaps German. The two that are almost maroon / reddish could also be slates, though they could be synthetic - really difficult to tell atm.

That'd be some crazy patterning even for a Hindostan I think, could be though. Possibly reminds me also of some of those patterned modern 'Washitas' / soft arks... (?)
The one i thought was a hindostan is almost certainly novaculite the whole thing is like a loosely packed crystal(which novaculite is but this is different). It seems so loosely packed that i almost expected it to pass light. It's coarse but fairly smooth, and it'll put a bevel on a razor. It'll be a good stone for chips (though i use my hard/fine washita for that. Love that damn stone, i think it's making the wife jealous.... got some coticules too. A small lpb bout that'll be nice for a finish piece when I'm playing with coticules and a select razor stone and slurry stone(it was pretty cheap). I'm waiting for another one a les vignette(i think that's spelled right) with a lat bout roughly the same size. Lat seems interesting. ATTACH]1306965[/ATTACH]20210804_180815.jpg20210804_180823.jpg

Attachments

• 20210804_180809.jpg
    20210804_180809.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 19
Ive never seen the original la lune, only the new ones. Those big champhered edges and corners made me think French slate or something near the border.

The one i thought was a hindostan is almost certainly novaculite the whole thing is like a loosely packed crystal(which novaculite is but this is different). It seems so loosely packed that i almost expected it to pass light. It's coarse but fairly smooth, and it'll put a bevel on a razor. It'll be a good stone for chips (though i use my hard/fine washita for that. Love that damn stone, i think it's making the wife jealous.... got some coticules too. A small lpb bout that'll be nice for a finish piece when I'm playing with coticules and a select razor stone and slurry stone(it was pretty cheap). I'm waiting for another one a les vignette(i think that's spelled right) with a lat bout roughly the same size. Lat seems interesting. ATTACH]1306965[/ATTACH]View attachment 1306966View attachment 1306967

I just got this combo stone from the bay for cheap by some no name company out of business. They have it labeled as Washita / Hard Arkansas combo. The washita side is an almost exact match to yours. I bought it basically for how cool it looked haha, never seen a red swirled stone before. The washita side was dished badly and I spent a good 25 minutes flattening it on my garage floor after it kept junking up sand paper and my DMT. I just used it and it is probably around 500 grit and made some nice fast black mud with a steak knife. Softest/coursest natural stone I have for sure. It doesnt even seem in the same ball park as my lily white washita which might as well be as hard as a normal arkansas stone. The hard ark side is pretty boring and seems to cut way slower than my others with minimal polishing, think i need to lap it a bit.

20210804_214353.jpg
20210804_215038.jpg
20210804_220447.jpg

The one i thought was a hindostan is almost certainly novaculite the whole thing is like a loosely packed crystal(which novaculite is but this is different). It seems so loosely packed that i almost expected it to pass light. It's coarse but fairly smooth, and it'll put a bevel on a razor. It'll be a good stone for chips (though i use my hard/fine washita for that. Love that damn stone, i think it's making the wife jealous.... got some coticules too. A small lpb bout that'll be nice for a finish piece when I'm playing with coticules and a select razor stone and slurry stone(it was pretty cheap). I'm waiting for another one a les vignette(i think that's spelled right) with a lat bout roughly the same size. Lat seems interesting. ATTACH]1306965[/ATTACH]View attachment 1306966View attachment 1306967
Looks like a soft off a Smiths trihone. Very good softs, uniform with no sand pockets or flaws and very fast for a soft ark.

Looks like a soft off a Smiths trihone. Very good softs, uniform with no sand pockets or flaws and very fast for a soft ark.
Ive got several lol. One on the left is from a cabelas combo, it looks a lot like the one on the right no name looks like a soft and hard washita combo. Hard side is almost exactly like my lily white on the side i polished up some. Last is a comparison photo. Weird rock. The little chips are from my new la petite blanche bout that came in today. My first natural combo. I love it for finishing! As i finished i was dying it off and dropped it. Shattered.20210804_223407.jpg20210804_223415.jpg20210804_223426.jpg20210804_223438.jpg

Legion

Staff member
When i have seen pictures of this stone my first thought was it's a thuri
When finely got the stone in my hands was a little surprised
26cm x5cmx2cm
With a 4cm slurry stone

All most nothing at all
It is a hard stone
With the help of @cotedupy, my stone was identified as a Llyn Melynlyn, probably a Salmen's brand one, from the box. I'd say yours might be one as well.

86DDC907-821C-42F4-A88A-B266E080C537.jpeg

I have these 3 stones in the mail from across the state for about the cost of shipping them. One appears to be a natural combo Coticule 6X1.5, a Washita, and the other no clue except that it’s gonna need a lot of lapping.
FC77B0D1-8E30-49A4-9120-1637796C3C5B.jpeg

With the help of @cotedupy, my stone was identified as a Llyn Melynlyn, probably a Salmen's brand one, from the box. I'd say yours might be one as well.

View attachment 1307127
Thank you Legion for sharing your experience with me
Today i made one more test this time with Henkels razor and i had a really fine shave

With this stone a made a better finish to this Henkels
I hope that your friend @cotedupy share his point of view
Thank you and stay helthy

If I remember right, I had a yellow lake in that kind of box under the "EverKeen" label.

Lueke, I hope that does turn out to be coticule for you. Looks like a white and grey synth to me, but hard to tell from the picture. I think you're right about the washita.

Everkeen was a label for John Pritzlaff hardware co of Milwaukee Wis. Interesting that they would have imported Yellow lake stones.

Everkeen was a label for John Pritzlaff hardware co of Milwaukee Wis. Interesting that they would have imported Yellow lake stones.

Yellow lake outsourced as well and sold different stones over time. Some were definitely llyn idwal and some were llyn melynllyn and maybe even other slates. Branding vs actual mines I guess.

I just got this combo stone from the bay for cheap by some no name company out of business. They have it labeled as Washita / Hard Arkansas combo. The washita side is an almost exact match to yours. I bought it basically for how cool it looked haha, never seen a red swirled stone before. The washita side was dished badly and I spent a good 25 minutes flattening it on my garage floor after it kept junking up sand paper and my DMT. I just used it and it is probably around 500 grit and made some nice fast black mud with a steak knife. Softest/coursest natural stone I have for sure. It doesnt even seem in the same ball park as my lily white washita which might as well be as hard as a normal arkansas stone. The hard ark side is pretty boring and seems to cut way slower than my others with minimal polishing, think i need to lap it a bit.

View attachment 1307036
View attachment 1307037
View attachment 1307038
After fooling with mine on several types of steel, I've come to the conclusion that one side is denser/finer than the other but it's a single natural stone. It doesn't look glazed and nothing has come off in the bath. Weird stone, i bet it makes a fantastic axe file!

Yellow lake outsourced as well and sold different stones over time. Some were definitely llyn idwal and some were llyn melynllyn and maybe even other slates. Branding vs actual mines I guess.
Just surprised that they were imported into this country and found a market. But I don't see many natural stones in the wild here.
I need to look through some old catalogs.

Reactions: LJS
Top Bottom