What's new

Mystery hones... Let's see what you have

Legion

Staff member
Put them in a bag with mineral oil and add more as needed, let them drink until they stop. Kinda like a turkey or Hindo.
They are too porous, especially the coarser ones. Mineral oil will just run out of them, especially when it is hot.

When they say they are “oil filled” on the box, I am fairly sure they use petroleum jelly, or something similar.

I imagine they heat it to liquify it, then soak the stones, maybe use a vacuum. Then at room temperature it gums up the insides and stays put.

timwcic

"Look what I found"
A cool piglet from the market. I knew something was hiding under the mung and slurry coating. Looked like a slate that was rode hard and put up wet. Wasn’t expecting what came out of the dip, a purple stone with tiger stripes and green orbs. It is very soft and muddy, keep seizing to the plates. Has a slight taper, 6x 2 1/4 down to 2 1/8. Three sides look original with a black coating and the last side looks whacked with saw marks in all directions. Possible a Vermont or NY slate, but don’t recall running across the extreme stripes before. Maybe a Welsh that really got lost and ended up in Florida

1E0985D3-983E-4B66-94F0-7CEC9343CDB1.jpeg
E6B69430-3F57-4A27-BC6E-8B529EF0F6FA.jpeg
AEA002A2-DEA2-41B7-B11F-507753BA7B70.jpeg
B48B956E-26BF-41A6-A34F-2038ABE8708D.jpeg
1413004D-9906-4C4E-9ED4-6C8F622EBDAA.jpeg
452B4938-5CF6-45FA-94E8-658E77FC2F87.jpeg
3F7292CB-2F3D-4063-9116-4A7824E7AF14.jpeg

I need to see how it reacts. Something seems off to me but it is also thicker than thuris tend to be so maybe that is also what is confusing me.

Color and pattern do agree with Thuri...

Cut (~7x2") not really, and sawmarks aren't really indicative for or against. I'd lean towards Thuri, but performance would have to prove that out in this case... Not like a 7x1.5 with obvious Thuri sawmarks.

Tim, I think I've got a 12x2 somewhere with those stripes... Not all over, but in spots. It's an ok finisher; but not top tier... I agree probably an east coast slate. (edit: got my stones mixed up... it was a 7x1.5", stripes WERE all over... sold it years ago though... Was soft and flakey... and had a bullet hole gouge/chalky digout in it like you see on Tam O shanters sometimes. It actually was pretty subpar for a slate if memory serves... sold it in a lot of junk stones) I'm positive I posted it here, but we're talking 5-10 years ago... so good luck finding those pics.

They are too porous, especially the coarser ones. Mineral oil will just run out of them, especially when it is hot.

When they say they are “oil filled” on the box, I am fairly sure they use petroleum jelly, or something similar.

I imagine they heat it to liquify it, then soak the stones, maybe use a vacuum. Then at room temperature it gums up the insides and stays put.
The fine ones are the only ones I've stripped completely, I'd def use petroleum jelly for a coarse one.

Top Bottom