What's new
  • The Annual Sue Moore Auction is now running from 19 - 21 October. Every year proceeds from this auction and all monies raised go directly to the National Breast Cancer Foundation. Please take a look at the items that are available this year, as there is sure to be something of interest to everyone!

Mystery German Razor, From Switzerland.

Hello there. Another identify my razor thread.:001_smile
I received this today, from Switzerland. The only marks on it, are on the lower part of the handle. The markings are German, like on the kitchen knives I have. I was told by the seller, they are the Zwilling marks. It is silver plated, and is a three piece razor, with a safety bar. I put a blade in it, after it got a hot soapy bath, and polished the tarnish off. The aggressiveness is about equal to my Fat Boy, on setting 8-9.
Information on what this razor is, where it was made, and the time frame it was made, would be appreciated.

$P5120627.jpg$P5120628.jpg$P5120629.jpg

Thanks Edgar. A J.A.Henkels. Any idea about when it was produced?
I probably overpaid, 22.50 CHF, but, I tend to gravitate towards oddball, or unusual razors. I had not seen one like this before.
Anyone shave with one of these before? I intend to give it a go, this weekend.

I probably overpaid, 22.50 CHF, but, I tend to gravitate towards oddball, or unusual razors. I had not seen one like this before.

Overpaid?! What is 22.50 CHF? About $25? That is a steal! I find myself gravitating to weirder and weirder razors as time goes by. After all, there are only so many Gillettes that I want to buy ...
Congratulations! I look forward to the shave report.

I would say after the 1930's to early 40's.

Overpaid?! What is 22.50 CHF? About $25? That is a steal! I find myself gravitating to weirder and weirder razors as time goes by. After all, there are only so many Gillettes that I want to buy ...
Congratulations! I look forward to the shave report.
I agree great price for quality piece.

Blimey ....... A Henckels DE for that price is a steal. I don't see many of them floating by on Fleabay ..... And of the ones I do, it's usually the other kind of three piece ..... fatter handled and practically indistinguishable from the likes of Golf, Asan Schlussler, etc... but for the Henckels branding and comb configurations.

I have one of these as well. I'm pretty sure they were made by Merkur as I have other Henckel razors that are very clearly Merkur-made. Perhaps Waits has some information on dating these?

I have one of these as well. I'm pretty sure they were made by Merkur as I have other Henckel razors that are very clearly Merkur-made. Perhaps Waits has some information on dating these?

Zeppelinkarte (in the other thread I linked) seemed pretty sure these were not made by Merkur, but I think you are right.

I've read other comments, including from German folks, saying these were indeed rebranded Merkurs.

I haven't seen one like this either, that's what drew me to it. It didn't have the Merkur emblem(head). But, had the J..A.Henkel Zwilling symbol. Like the Henkel knives I use and like.
It was listed on the eBay UK, and came from Switzerland. You have got to love the internet.
You guys in Europe get a lot more selections in razors than we do.

Zeppelinkarte (in the other thread I linked) seemed pretty sure these were not made by Merkur, but I think you are right.

I've read other comments, including from German folks, saying these were indeed rebranded Merkurs.
Henkel may have been a brand that wasn't.

"You guys in Europe get a lot more selections in razors than we do."

I'll think of that next time I'm trying to bag a President at a price that won't give me a heart attack :lol:

"You guys in Europe get a lot more selections in razors than we do."

I'll think of that next time I'm trying to bag a President at a price that won't give me a heart attack :lol:

And why would you want a President when you have all those beautiful British Aristocrats for like 2 quid in the antique shops? :lol:

First shave with the "Mystery German Razor" done today.
I did the usual prep. Hot towels, preshave oil, then face lathered with Arko/Almond essential oil.
Razor was loaded with a Personna Blue blade.
The shave was super smooth, with the razor being medium, on the aggression scale, about 4-5 on my Fat Boy Razor.
The curved head angle worked great, and I had an effortlessly BBS shave. No cuts, nicks, or weepers.
I feel that there is something to be said for vintage razor engineering.
It will be put in my rotation.

Top Bottom