What's new

Mystery Bengs

First one

full

full

The aroma from this beng is incredible, I wish I could distill it into a fragrance. Very tippy looking tea.No dates any where I could see.

The second

full

full

The wrapper said 2005.

So what do I have here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re second pix...

The bit in the green circle is the company name. The characters around the top tell you it is a tea, but she says it doesn't translate into English and doesn't mean anything anyway.

The Characters around the bottom are the company name and address.

I guess this doesn't help much :001_smile

The top one is the generic Zhongcha wrapper - it looks quite clean and fresh, and the tips haven't aged yet, so I'd guess CNNP Green-Mark from the last few years (2006+). This is the John Doe of tea - anonymous, inexpensive. I can't make out the price-tag, but I hope it wasn't more than $10 :001_smile

The second one is the standard 7542 blend, made by the "Pengcheng" [Phoenix Journey?] tea company - not an outfit I've ever even heard of before. Over the top it simply says "Menghai Qizi Bingcha", while the centre is their brand logo, which says "Old Horse Something" - I can't make out the third character. Minor-factory 7542s can be anything from really pleasant to cheap copies - and given that the original Menghai 7542 is so inexpensive, you get an idea where that might go. :)

$16 for a 2005 7542 is quite nice, if the tea's good! How is it?

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Last edited:
Thank you sir, It was less than 25.00 for both, with a big plate of dumplings as well.:001_smile The first cake smells so darn good. I have not tried either yet.

If they were the dumplings / jaozi from the other photograph, then it looks as if you got yourself a fine bargain!

I miss proper jaozi... :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I made myself some vegetarian jiaozi last night, not quite as labour intensive as I had thought, but I couldn't quite get the proper pleating down pat, so a bunch of them ended up tortellini shaped. (Off to the speakeasy to talk about this more)

Also, nice looking tea.

I made myself some vegetarian jiaozi last night, not quite as labour intensive as I had thought, but I couldn't quite get the proper pleating down pat, so a bunch of them ended up tortellini shaped. (Off to the speakeasy to talk about this more)

Also, nice looking tea.

It's a team sport! Get some teammates :)

Quick update, I tried the "Pengcheng" 7542 (thanks Hobbes!!) and its a very nice tea, floral but not at all grassy, some nice acidity for balance, a lingering sweetness. Early infusions were almost yeasty. Good mouth feel.

I am going to let it rest a little and then revisit it.

Top Bottom