What's new

Mysterious Le Coq - Straight guard bar - Maybe adjustable ?!

Be sure to have at least 1-cup of coffee (to wake up) but less than 4 (so as not to be shaky).

Have a light touch and use the smoothest blade you have. Enjoy the ride...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well I used the Caged Head this morning to warm up. But yeah it does look like a challenge. Mine has the line on one side of the cap with nothing to match up on the plate.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My mind is officially blown by this razor. Using a Derby USTA it removed as much stubble on the first pass as my Ikon Tech. But where the Tech (and many aggressive razors including the Caged Head) get tuggy ATG on my head stubble, this Le Coq in one ATG pass on my had no such difficulty. Just amazing, almost no clean ups required. The Timeless Bronze is in the same ballpark but the Le Coq may beat it in a side by side, TBD.
IMG_20190501_073951-01.jpg

That is a great picture. This aught to be a devette. Glad you are enjoying it. It’s one of my favorite, closest shaving razors.

It has immediately leapt into my top five with my Famex, Shake Sharp, Barbasol FH, and Timeless Bronze. It's not the most comfortable of them, but it may be the most efficient. And fun. No blood by the way.

I'm inspired! I plan to bust out my Mysterious Le Coq tomorrow so I can join in the adventure.

Let's see it in action!

Last edited:
It has immediately leapt into my top five with my Famex, Shake Sharp, Barbasol FH, and Timeless Bronze. It's not the most comfortable of them, but it may be the most efficient. And fun. No blood by the way.

Let's see it in action!

I love it. This will forever be known as “The Mysterious LeCoq”

I took the daring step this morning of shaving with the Mysterious Le Coq without coffee or other caffeine.
I survived, but the caffeine would have helped.
The comparisons to the devette are apt. Indeed, the shave is so similar that the MLC has pretty much rendered my devette obsolete. The same level of aggression, but with a bit more control.

After the Derby yesterday I stepped up sharpness a bit with Gillette Wilkinson. Another flawless, bloodless shave. I love this thing. More efficient than the Barbasol Floating Head, way smoother than the Ikon Tech. I'm giddy.
IMG_20190502_083454-01.jpg

I love reading about your different experiences and perceptions. I hated the damn thing (nearly tore my face off), so it's always enlightening to hear that other people like it :D

I love reading about your different experiences and perceptions. I hated the damn thing (nearly tore my face off), so it's always enlightening to hear that other people like it :D
Hey happy to take one off your hands :)

Compared, Ikon Tech.Le Coq, Barbasol FH. The Le Coq has less guard span than the Barbasol, more than the Tech. Not a lot but enough to make a big difference in handling. IMHO it's a very happy if still very aggressive compromise. I also prefer the weight and balance of the Le Coq over the other two.
IMG_20190502_085746-01.jpg

Another brother, the Matador is quite similar but a bit less aggressive and efficient with the Le Coq being a bit more rigid. .
IMG_20190502_101359-01.jpg

Last edited:
I hated the Matador as well haha :D Thank you for sharing these pictures ;)
All basically of the same type, short guardspan, lots of positive exposure, pretty rigid, enough gap to make things interesting. Not everyone's thing :) .

Last edited:
In the hope of narrowing on a possible range for production date, here are the blades which accompanied my razor. All the used blades were of this Gibbs type. Anyone know when Gibbs transitioned to the square end blades? I'm.guessing late 40s early 50s for the razor from the nylon/plastic? case but I know only enough to be dangerous here. Maybe less. Any other blades to share that give clues?
IMG_20190503_102529-01.jpg

Last edited:
Were the Gibbs blades inside the Ile de France packaging? That could be interesting. All my IdFpackages (well, the ones I've opened) contained IdF-branded blades ...

The wrappers contained some used Gibbs and a couple of unused (?) Ile de France.

Le Coq vs Timeless Bronze OC. Edge Le Coq for efficiency, Timeless for smoothness. Chinese Wilkinsons
IMG_20190504_081610-01.jpg
IMG_20190504_080502-01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom