What's new

Mysterious French Apollo razor

I just bought a French Apollo razor that looks like it was part of a travel set at one time. The top cap is scalloped like other French razors, such as Kirby Beards, but the combs are open. The mysterious part of the razor is that the stem just beneath the bottom plate is wide and indented, almost as though the razor was meant to be held without a handle, which was not included with the razor. Also, the razor looks as though it requires the same razors that would fit on Gibbs (yep, another French razor maker).

Has anyone seen this razor before? Is it intended to be used without a handle? Is this razor the offspring of an inappropriate relationship between Kirby Beard and Gibbs? Anyone?

$Apollo3.jpeg$Apollo4.jpeg$Apollo6.jpeg

I've seen apollos that take that blade. A gibbs just takes a de blade with notches, these blades are not quite as tall.

I've seen apollos that take that blade. A gibbs just takes a de blade with notches, these blades are not quite as tall.

Hmm, interesting. Are the blades special Apollo blades, or modified DE blades? Also, have you seen a razor like this, a full size razor head that may not require a handle? Or, is it that the handle is missing? I'm confused by this razor, and unfortunately my confusion led to curiosity, which in turn led to buying the razor. Now I just want to make sense of the razor.

Hmm, interesting. Are the blades special Apollo blades, or modified DE blades? Also, have you seen a razor like this, a full size razor head that may not require a handle? Or, is it that the handle is missing? I'm confused by this razor, and unfortunately my confusion led to curiosity, which in turn led to buying the razor. Now I just want to make sense of the razor.

This one looks like it would take the blades with the curved edges and not modern DE blades. Here's one that I have (sorry for the crummy phone pic):

proxy.php

Thanks Porter. The info helps. It's starting to look like I need to keep my curiosity in check, at least if it leads to purchases like this.

Quarternion, I just received this little French Apollo, not knowing it would need a proprietary blade. This was my first ever vintage purchase, maybe should have known a bit more. Lol. Pictures I have posted show it with a Feather blade installed. Obviously, it appears a murder weapon waiting to be used. Would you happen to have any advice on what the actual blades needed? Or where I might locate one? I'd really like to give him a go, but not willing to risk my baby face. Haha

Attachments

• Resized_20190227_160515.jpeg
    Resized_20190227_160515.jpeg
    659 KB · Views: 28
  • Resized_20190227_160457.jpeg
    Resized_20190227_160457.jpeg
    24.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Resized_20190227_160435.jpeg
    Resized_20190227_160435.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 26
Quarternion, I just received this little French Apollo, not knowing it would need a proprietary blade. This was my first ever vintage purchase, maybe should have known a bit more. Lol. Pictures I have posted show it with a Feather blade installed. Obviously, it appears a murder weapon waiting to be used. Would you happen to have any advice on what the actual blades needed? Or where I might locate one? I'd really like to give him a go, but not willing to risk my baby face. Haha
I use a standard injector blade with mine, works fine

Ciao guys, I have accidentally bought this wonderful razor at a swap meet last Sunday. Could you please advise where I could buy the blades?

Top Bottom