What's new

Myatt Daymark

I came across a Myatt Daymark head a few months back, and just put it in the box with the other spares etc.
Well I decided to give it a run out earlier .. wow! What a very pleasant surprise it was.

It mowed smoothly through a week's worth off gruff like it was a 5 0'clock shadow, and gave a very close and comfortable shave.
My go to's are typically my Gillette Aristocrat Jr or Gillette HDs .. this was as smooth as those .. and I'd say closer than my Gillette Red Tips .. possibly even the R41.

I matched it with a stainless handle. Hidden gem for sure, and my new favourite.

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_145859.jpg
    IMG_20220201_145859.jpg
    1,010.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20220201_145759.jpg
    IMG_20220201_145759.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
I came across a Myatt Daymark head a few months back, and just put it in the box with the other spares etc.
Well I decided to give it a run out earlier .. wow! What a very pleasant surprise it was.

It mowed smoothly through a week's worth off gruff like it was a 5 0'clock shadow, and gave a very close and comfortable shave.
My go to's are typically my Gillette Aristocrat Jr or Gillette HDs .. this was as smooth as those .. and I'd say closer than my Gillette Red Tips .. possibly even the R41.

I matched it with a stainless handle. Hidden gem for sure, and my new favourite.
Thanks for sharing photos of this rare (to me) razor. Went to my usual source for razor info - Safety Razor Compendium - and read about the W. J. Myatt & Co. of Birmingham, England. Apparently these razors were made until the 1940s. The teens, 20s, 30s and 40s were a golden era of a wide variety of razors and blades. Diversity of available razors started to end in the 1950s and only revived in the last couple of decades.

These pop up every so often, and I purchased it when it was thrown in with a different razor. Its a bit of a Franken-razor in that the base plate is the Myatt and the top cap is from an old English Paragon razor .. the handle of course being a cheap Aliexpress type.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is a strange one for me! If you could, would you please take some pictures of it disassembled?

Thanks for considering the, Dave

I've seen them showing up around here and there, but they are way too expensive most of the time for me to roll the dice and get one.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
They are a nice shaver. Mine had hexagonal pins which did not quite fit regular blades but with a bit of force they would work. I believe it originally used proprietary blades which were marked with the days of the week on each side. The intention was to flip the blade each day and change it weekly. There is an adjustable version which is rare and fetches high sale prices.

Myatt Daymarks are glorious! I have one with a bakelite baseplate and one brass. The hex posts are easily rounded for modern DE blades, which I found more sensible that hand-adjusting the blade every time. There are a few razors producing such consistently good shaves with absolutely minimal effort that they are "boring"- the Daymark is one.:)

The head of mine won't fit the New Improved - totally different design.
The top cap which came with mine had the hexagonal pins too which would not fit modern DE blades .. but a top cap from an old Paragon was perfect.
I have progressed past the aggressive razors, and now appreciate the smooth efficient ones. The Gillette HDs and to a lesser extent the Aristocrat Jr are notoriously smooth and mild - and maybe considered a bit boring - although that's overlooking how good they really are.
This Myatt has little blade feel and silky smooth; but the shave feels everything as close as using my R41.

Attachments

• IMG_20220201_201059.jpg
    IMG_20220201_201059.jpg
    771.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220201_201410.jpg
    IMG_20220201_201410.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220201_201504.jpg
    IMG_20220201_201504.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 9
Nice! I am thinking about getting mine replated. The burgundy bakelite base would really look nice with a gold topper.

Interested in any trades...? Le Coq adjustable, Pomco slant with carbon fiber shaft...? I have various odds and ends.:biggrin:
And he laughs at me no less!:c1: I dont't know when you got it, but I suspect I might have been bidding against you, if it was from ebay. Those don't come along often!

And he laughs at me no less!:c1: I dont't know when you got it, but I suspect I might have been bidding against you, if it was from ebay. Those don't come along often!
:001_smile More a smile than a laugh @Rob72 :001_smile
Yes they are pretty rare, I have only ever seen two on Ebay. There was one with a case and one without - this was the earlier one without a case. My spreadsheet shows me September 2020.

Top Bottom