What's new

My1st cutthroat razor shave!

A friend from college that I hadn't seen since 2009, just gave me my first straight Razor shave. My face is much more presentable and feels better and it feels "clean"He had just graduated from barber school and I asked him if he could shave my face for me. a darn good shave & and haircut for 10 bucks! It wasn't for 2 bits(.50) Sorry no pics this time ☹️

Always fancied having a shave from a barber, even though I use a straight I would like to to just sit there and get pampered 😊 unfortunately here in the uk barbers can't use a straight only a shavette, so a bit envious of your storey 😁

Always fancied having a shave from a barber, even though I use a straight I would like to to just sit there and get pampered 😊 unfortunately here in the uk barbers can't use a straight only a shavette, so a bit envious of your storey 😁
That's probably the same in most countries now, isn't it? I've had a great shave in Thailand and an average one in Japan. In Japan it was a Feather razor and blade, in Thailand a cheapo shavette and half DE blade. Still two nice experiences, though, being pampered, as you say!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Many barbers claim that it is against regulations to shave a customer with a traditional SR. What they really mean is that they don't want to be bothered with disinfecting the SR between uses, don't know how to properly shave with one, don't know how to maintain one or just couldn't be bothered to maintain one.

I have had traditional SR barber shaves from older barbers in a few countries over the past three years. My regular barber in Australia will not do a shave of any kind for love or money. He says that he just couldn't be bothered.

Do they disinfect the inside of shavettes when they change the blade?

Many barbers claim that it is against regulations to shave a customer with a traditional SR. What they really mean is that they don't want to be bothered with disinfecting the SR between uses, don't know how to properly shave with one, don't know how to maintain one or just couldn't be bothered to maintain one.

I have had traditional SR barber shaves from older barbers in a few countries over the past three years. My regular barber in Australia will not do a shave of any kind for love or money. He says that he just couldn't be bothered.

Do they disinfect the inside of shavettes when they change the blade?

That seems like a good argument. Straights are just a particularly-fashioned bit of good quality steel, with no nooks and crannies. Shove the blade into boiling water, hold it there for a bit, and all the usual bugs are gone, excluding prions and the exotic things that make a tough spore.

Not so your shavette, if they just chuck away the blade, and let the customer dribble hang around. Yuck!

Another reason to love modern stainless steel 3-piece razors: for a hygiene reset, just disassemble and boil them.

Top Bottom