What's new

My (YMMV) comparison of different blades

Having an elbow issue is likely to alter the way you move the razor, so I suspect you will have to re-train your right hand. I know mine worked differently after I split the ulna as a kid by landing on the point of my elbow, took quite a long time to get it to fully rotate and flex.

I need to learn to use my left on the left side of my face, I'm having trouble getting all the stubble over there with my right hand. Shouldn't be too hard as I'm not strongly right hand dominant, but I'll probably get some rough shaves until I figure it out.

Peter

Using a computer mouse left handed for ten years has probably helped me a fair bit. (You would be amazed how useful it is, for various work, to use a mouse in the left hand and have access to the number pad of a keyboard with the right hand).

I started using a mouse left handed when I started to get symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome in my right hand. Works great.

One of the drawbacks to DE shaving is that you have complete control over angle and direction, which also means you can scrape your face pretty badly with fairly minor changes from ideal. Two sides of the coin, so to speak.

Peter

Shark shave two

Not so forgetful this time. Entirely left handed until right at the end. I decided to do the corners of my mouth right handed and have a little irritation there. I am not even going to do that much again.

Overall very little irritation. Much like the shave two days ago. Very good DFS approaching bbs.

I am considering whether I should scrap this thread. As far as razor blade comparison threads go it is a bit of a joke. I've gotten 4 pages and tried three blades. Not talking about abandoning the concept, just starting afresh with proper comparisons. I will do a few more days yet to make sure I have everything right anyway.

Also, just bought a bunch of tucks of sample blades, so all up I think I will have close to 20 to go through. I included a few from Lord having a preference for the shark blades so far and hoping they have something close yet mildly better??? Assuming I take a good couple of weeks trying out each blade it will be something like a year before I finish.

Lol, at this rate (more than 20 shaves on good blades like Astra SPs), it will take more than two years to get through my sample pack at one blade each! I'm assuming some of them will be duds like Derbys and I'll only get six or eight, and some will go longer.

All that said, I suspect I'll be pretty happy with anything from PPI or Moscow, and some of the Lord and Indian ones are OK as well.

Try the Lord Platinum class, I've heard good things about them, also the Racer Platinums.

Peter

I have picked and chosen which blades based on what i could find out about them. Lord platinum, chrome and big ben are among them. Couldn't get racer easily without paying a premium on shipping.

Ideally there are about 15 more that i would have liked to try out, but it gets ridiculous.

I have also bought a second tuck of seven oclock yellow as i really need to revisit it.

Ok 2 more blades to the mix:
Astra Blues: Not as sharp as sp and not as long lasting(about 3 shaves). Probably will not be buying anymore based on how many Nacets and polsilvers I have.

Rapira Platinum: Very nice, sharp, smooth. First shave today so don't know how long they last.

You have quite a similar range of blades to what I have available. I don't have all The Lord blades and have a couple more rapira blades to try. Don't have the German Wilkins, polsilvers or feathers either (but keep hearing good things about them). Once I get back properly on track I will have to try some that you consider good as I seem to have parallel experience with those I have tried.

Going back through the thread I had to comment on this: Since this post all the comments I have made have been changed. I will have the lord blades along with the german wilkis, polsilvers and feathers within about a month.

Ok 2 more blades to the mix:
Astra Blues: Not as sharp as sp and not as long lasting(about 3 shaves). Probably will not be buying anymore based on how many Nacets and polsilvers I have.

Rapira Platinum: Very nice, sharp, smooth. First shave today so don't know how long they last.

The little amount of experience I have with the Rapira Platinum agrees with yours. Very nice, sharp and smooth.

I look forward to getting to that point in blade testing now that I can actually manage it.

If your blade usage is like mine, it will take a long time -- I have five I'm testing, but since I seem to get a lot of shaves on each one, I will probably not discard any until sometime in January, and I think I'm getting better and shaving, so that means they will probably last longer, too.

I'll get all of them tested before I retire, I swear!

Peter

Second with Rapira platinum. This time used the Meuhle R-41. That is my go to razor for testing smoothness. Very nice bbs shave with no irritation. one small weeper that stopped by the 3rd pass.

Apologies to everyone.

I am going to abandon this thread temporarily. As long as I'm not comparing new blades quite yet it doesn't feel worthwhile stringing people along. I also want to go back and try a few razor options with the left hand to figure out just how much is the razor and how much is the left handed touch. I particularly want to re-try the weishi, the re-mei tech and the flat bottom tech with the same blade and same conditions.

I will keep my own notes on my own shaves and come back in 2-3 weeks when everything is back to perfection and start testing blades.

Apologies to everyone.

I am going to abandon this thread temporarily. As long as I'm not comparing new blades quite yet it doesn't feel worthwhile stringing people along. I also want to go back and try a few razor options with the left hand to figure out just how much is the razor and how much is the left handed touch. I particularly want to re-try the weishi, the re-mei tech and the flat bottom tech with the same blade and same conditions.

I will keep my own notes on my own shaves and come back in 2-3 weeks when everything is back to perfection and start testing blades.

I am also going to attempt a traditional 3 pass shave left handed. I had thought that the breakthrough was starting with a cross grain pass and cutting out the with the grain pass, where the actual breakthough was using my left hand. I will see if this affects how good a shave I get as well.

Ok so 3rd shave with platinum rapira with gillette red tip. Awesome smooth shave. This is a great blade.
Up there with nacet for sharpness and smoothness.

My beard is rough(multiple barbers in India have commented on how tough my beard is and I tell them not to do ATG when I go to India because the barber shavette tears up my face ATG.

You sound a lot like me, the combination of tough hairs and non-ATGable skin, so it looks like I should try some Sharks (which I already got a pack of with my last razor but haven't tried them yet), Lord Platinums, Nacets, Ladas, and German Wilkinsons sometime. :) Blades I've tried at least two of so far and had decent results include Feathers, Astra SP's, and Crystals, and I've tried and liked one each of Kai, Polsilver, and Personna lab blue so far. So far my favorite "money is no object" blade would be Kai and my favorite cheap blade is Crystal, although now I'm curious to see if Shark will end up knocking Crystal out of that position.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I am also going to attempt a traditional 3 pass shave left handed. I had thought that the breakthrough was starting with a cross grain pass and cutting out the "WTG" pass, where the actual breakthough was using my left hand. I will see if this affects how good a shave I get as well.
I haven't ever thought about cutting out the WTG pass. Quite interesting.
Apologies to everyone.

Last edited:
Ok, next blade:
Vidyut Super-Max Platinum.
Used Red-tip, Got 3 smooth nick free shaves. Really a good blade for the price. So cheap that I don't care about getting more than 3 shaves from it. I think it is as good as the shark chrome and Lords Platinum for me.

Top Bottom