What's new

My year long aftershave adventure: Part 2 - Citrus

Citrus is one of my favorite categories in both aftershaves and soaps, so here goes.

Pinaud Lime Sec: I love lime and Lime Sec is one of my favorite aftershaves. The first time I splashed some on I was like "Oh my, this is goooood"! Refreshing lime balanced by some sweetness. There is also a cologne like quality that seems to be uniquely Pinaud. The scent is relatively long lasting for a citrus scent which, in general, are short lived. It is labeled as an eau de cologne. I know some people have likened the sweetness to a lime jolly rancher, but to me it smells like Rose's sweetened lime juice used to make a gimlet cocktail. The face feel is nice. There is not any glycerine in this, but it makes my face feel very soft.

Pinaud Citrus Musk: This aftershave is very similar to Lime Sec, but with the addition of sweet lemongrass. Initially this creates a refreshing lemon lime effect, then dries down to what smells like an old fashioned candy lemon drop. It is also pretty long lasting. I can still faintly smell it on my hands at the end of my workday. Citrus Musk is labeled as an eau de cologne. Due to the similarity to Lime Sec, one might choose one or the other based on personal taste.

Gabel's Drops of Lime: Lovers of dry lime take notice! Gabel's Drops of Lime is the antithesis of Lime Sec. Crisp, dry, almost sparkling, this will wake you up in the morning. I love this stuff! Like cutting open a fresh lime. It does not last as long as Lime Sec, or anywhere near as long as Citrus Musk, but I have few aftershaves as refreshing as this one. To get the best of both worlds I often mix Gabel's with Lime Sec 50/50 in my hands. Kind of a yin and yang thing. The combo is outstanding.

Pinaud Eau de Portugal: This is actually a hair tonic, but many use it as an aftershave. It has basically the same ingredients as other Pinaud aftershaves. The scent is pure orange. Reminds me of getting a crate of oranges out of a walk in cooler. Very refreshing. It is also very fleeting, lasts about 5 minutes tops. My favorite way to use this is to mix it with bay rum. The initial effect is wonderful. For my last AS re-order I did not include this product and I wish I had.

Pinaud Clubman: This classic is found in many country club locker rooms, and for good reason. The burst of bergamot (a kind of bitter orange), orange, and lemon, combined with a cologne-ish quality is refreshing, classy, old school, and perfect for the 19th hole after a round of golf. It is pretty assertive on initial application, but tames on the dry down. Lasts quite a while too. Unfortunately my wife does not care for Clubman. She says it smells like her grandpa. I assume he used Clubman. I wish I could smell like my grandpa, but he was strictly a witch hazel man. Fortunately my wife also said "but you like it though" so it is in my regular rotation. My younger sister, on the other hand, loves Clubman. The first time she smelled it she could not stop sniffing the bottle and even put some on herself.

Master Checker Flag: I was excited to try this, but was very disappointed. I read a description on a barber/beauty supply website (not one of the well known ones) that it had the scent of tangerine. It is indeed tangerine, and I liked it smelling the bottle. But the dry down created the effect of a massive overdose of powdered sugar. Efficacy was fine. I just couldn't take that much sweetness. I PIF'd this to a friend. His mileage may vary.

The next scent category will be posted in a couple of days.

Shave early, shave often.

shaving-software-whole-sale-thomas-tew-after-shave-splash-1.jpg
Great Review. I have been a Citrus A/S lover for 60+ yrs. This is the best I have found. Scent of the Blood Orange is outstanding and long lasting. Not sweet.

Blood orange, ooh that sounds good. And long lasting? The reason I did not re-order Eau de Portugal was the very short longevity. Thanks for the recommendation!

Excellent, well written reviews @RhoCurly! I can’t agree with you more about your review of Checkered Flag..... Unfortunately, it’s really not very good(No wonder you PIFed it to me(Just kidding, thanks)). Looking forward to your next reviews!

You’ll have to try out Fine Italian Citrus(or RazoRock XXX basically the same scent), Fine L’orange Noir, Razorock Don Marco(has a nice bergamot punch) & Fine Platinum. They are all wonderful Citrus scents!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
View attachment 899715 Great Review. I have been a Citrus A/S lover for 60+ yrs. This is the best I have found. Scent of the Blood Orange is outstanding and long lasting. Not sweet.

Thomas Tew and Ghost Ship (also from Black Ship Grooming) are two of my favorite citrus aftershaves. Also, Delor de Treget and Fourth & Pine from Chatillon Lux.

Thomas Tew and Ghost Ship (also from Black Ship Grooming) are two of my favorite citrus aftershaves. Also, Delor de Treget and Fourth & Pine from Chatillon Lux.
Hey Scott: Have you tried Eleven Lime and Basil (fka Agrumes) or Maol Frankenlime? If so, how fo they compare to the Black Ship products. I’m looking for a citrus AS for the January resupply and these are possible contenders.

Hey Scott: Have you tried Eleven Lime and Basil (fka Agrumes) or Maol Frankenlime? If so, how fo they compare to the Black Ship products. I’m looking for a citrus AS for the January resupply and these are possible contenders.

Bob, I've got Eleven on my list, but haven't gotten there yet. I've tried to buy the Maol Frankinlime a couple of times, but Top of the Chain has been sold out (and they're the only source for US shipments). I do have the Heliopteris and Wilde Flowers aftershaves from Maol, both in the Frosted version, and find them both to be top tier.

Bob, I've got Eleven on my list, but haven't gotten there yet. I've tried to buy the Maol Frankinlime a couple of times, but Top of the Chain has been sold out (and they're the only source for US shipments). I do have the Heliopteris and Wilde Flowers aftershaves from Maol, both in the Frosted version, and find them both to be top tier.
Thanks. The Thomas Tew was on my list for this year but didn’t make the cut. And now these two have come along as well. It may be a tough decision.

Thanks. The Thomas Tew was on my list for this year but didn’t make the cut. And now these two have come along as well. It may be a tough decision.

The problem, Bob, is we're all literally awash in great aftershave choices. There are some in my den that are less impressive than others, but there are only a few that don't deserve regular use. Ugh. Not enough shaving opportunities...

I am coming around to the citrus aftershaves and just received the Eleven Lime Basil balm the other day. It has a very nice scent, though not overly strong, and the balm is not at all greasy.

I also have Maol Grooming Frosted Frankenlime on order from Stone Field shaving in Canada, but will have to wait some time before it gets here. Excited to try it out.

On another forum, Sean says he will be sending a restock to TotC next week. Stone Field Shaving also will ship Maol aftershaves to the USA. Maol is not listed in the brands on Stone Field website, but will come up if you search for "Maol" from the menu.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Citrus is one of my favorite categories in both aftershaves and soaps, so here goes.

Pinaud Lime Sec: I love lime and Lime Sec is one of my favorite aftershaves. The first time I splashed some on I was like "Oh my, this is goooood"! Refreshing lime balanced by some sweetness. There is also a cologne like quality that seems to be uniquely Pinaud. The scent is relatively long lasting for a citrus scent which, in general, are short lived. It is labeled as an eau de cologne. I know some people have likened the sweetness to a lime jolly rancher, but to me it smells like Rose's sweetened lime juice used to make a gimlet cocktail. The face feel is nice. There is not any glycerine in this, but it makes my face feel very soft.

Pinaud Citrus Musk: This aftershave is very similar to Lime Sec, but with the addition of sweet lemongrass. Initially this creates a refreshing lemon lime effect, then dries down to what smells like an old fashioned candy lemon drop. It is also pretty long lasting. I can still faintly smell it on my hands at the end of my workday. Citrus Musk is labeled as an eau de cologne. Due to the similarity to Lime Sec, one might choose one or the other based on personal taste.

Gabel's Drops of Lime: Lovers of dry lime take notice! Gabel's Drops of Lime is the antithesis of Lime Sec. Crisp, dry, almost sparkling, this will wake you up in the morning. I love this stuff! Like cutting open a fresh lime. It does not last as long as Lime Sec, or anywhere near as long as Citrus Musk, but I have few aftershaves as refreshing as this one. To get the best of both worlds I often mix Gabel's with Lime Sec 50/50 in my hands. Kind of a yin and yang thing. The combo is outstanding.

Pinaud Eau de Portugal: This is actually a hair tonic, but many use it as an aftershave. It has basically the same ingredients as other Pinaud aftershaves. The scent is pure orange. Reminds me of getting a crate of oranges out of a walk in cooler. Very refreshing. It is also very fleeting, lasts about 5 minutes tops. My favorite way to use this is to mix it with bay rum. The initial effect is wonderful. For my last AS re-order I did not include this product and I wish I had.

Pinaud Clubman: This classic is found in many country club locker rooms, and for good reason. The burst of bergamot (a kind of bitter orange), orange, and lemon, combined with a cologne-ish quality is refreshing, classy, old school, and perfect for the 19th hole after a round of golf. It is pretty assertive on initial application, but tames on the dry down. Lasts quite a while too. Unfortunately my wife does not care for Clubman. She says it smells like her grandpa. I assume he used Clubman. I wish I could smell like my grandpa, but he was strictly a witch hazel man. Fortunately my wife also said "but you like it though" so it is in my regular rotation. My younger sister, on the other hand, loves Clubman. The first time she smelled it she could not stop sniffing the bottle and even put some on herself.

Master Checker Flag: I was excited to try this, but was very disappointed. I read a description on a barber/beauty supply website (not one of the well known ones) that it had the scent of tangerine. It is indeed tangerine, and I liked it smelling the bottle. But the dry down created the effect of a massive overdose of powdered sugar. Efficacy was fine. I just couldn't take that much sweetness. I PIF'd this to a friend. His mileage may vary.

The next scent category will be posted in a couple of days.

Shave early, shave often.

Looking for info on Pinaud Eau de Portugal, just picked some up. One of the few I hadn't tried... And it IS a very pleasant orange aftershave. As a hair tonic (?!) It would probably dry out your scalp and result in dandruff! It's just alcohol!

AA

Top Bottom