What's new

My year long aftershave adventure: Part 1 - "Green" AS

For part one of this series I will review aftershaves in the "green" category, for lack of a better term. I am not a fragrance expert. I do not know what many of the terms used on sites such as Basenotes mean. My reviews will be in layman's terms for the most part. I picked this category because it was my first experience with aftershaves as a boy.

Skin Bracer: This is the aftershave my Dad used when I was a small boy. I can still remember watching him shave when I was about four or five years old. When he finished he would splash this on and I would then take the bottle and sniff it while he got dressed into a suit and tie for work. When I started shaving this was naturally the aftershave I used. That menthol and moisturizing goodness did the trick calming down the skin of a fifteen year old shaving novice. And it smelled so manly, just like Dad! This aftershave smells of fresh greenery and eucalyptus combined with a mild sweetness of vanilla to give it some class. Not pretentious, but not cheap smelling either. It is no wonder this has been popular for almost 90 years. A true classic.

Osage Rub: A true barbershop classic! Growing up this was what the barber would use after he shaved my neck and around the ears. Afterward he would take a barber towel and snap it around the neck to create a fan effect which heightened the cooling sensation. Made a sound similar to a shoeshine boy snapping his shoeshine rag. In some ways this is similar to Skin Bracer, but without the elegance of vanilla and other fragrances. It is straight up eucalyptus and super strength menthol, bracing and refreshing! The eucalyptus is genuine eucalyptus globulus oil. The scent does not last long, nor should it. This a a utilitarian tool in the shavers toolbox. I often use this to cool down a shave prior to applying a non menthol aftershave.

C.O. Bigalow Elixer Green AS Balm: This was given to me by my son for father's day when he was about seven years old. His mother took him to Bath and Body Works and let him pick it out. He is seventeen now (and shaves with a DE). I am not really a balm guy, but I use it on special occasions and always keep it on the bath counter for him to notice. I do like the scent. It reminds me of walking into a greenhouse at a botanical garden crossed with a distinct cologne quality. Very moisturizing. It has fairly strong projection and longevity, so I have to be careful not to use too much. I don't believe they make this anymore.

Sir Irisch Moosch Aftershave: This aftershave I have on loan from fellow B&B member Lueke2326. We happen to live in the same small town. This AS has a nice post shave feel. I do not detect any menthol, but it is bracing. The scent is herbal/piney with a strange, yet nice, spice scent I can't figure out. I think I read somewhere that coriander is one of the elements. I was not expecting this, but again, it is very nice. For me this is more of a nice occasion AS than an everyday AS. I prefer Skin Bracer.

The next installment in this series will be from one of the following categories: Citrus, Bay Rum, Spice, Floral, "Blue" (for lack of a better term), or Woody. I haven't decided yet. Will post come Monday.

Shave early, shave often.

Great reviews! Thanks!

You really should include Proraso green (one of my favorite ‘green’ AS)!

I have not tried Proraso Green yet. It is, and has been, on the short list of AS to try when the budget opens up. How would you describe it? I know it has eucalyptus, and I LOVE eucalyptus.

By the way, does anybody have any other recommendations in this category? I am all ears.

Thanks for the review. Excellent read.

Since you asked, I’d second adding Proraso green. Maybe speaking out of turn but it’ll probably take the top spot of your green splashes. It’s great (but scent dissipates rather quickly).

I don’t know if it fits your green category but Fine American Blend is also a very nice/traditional scented aftershave. Very simple ingredients and mentholated. (No eucalyptus though so maybe not green category)

By the way, does anybody have any other recommendations in this category? I am all ears.

I second @BigJ on Proraso green. It is not expensive, has a wonderful clean scent, and nice cooling properties. I cannot give a valid opinion on eucalyptus, because I'm not great at specific scents.

Since you asked, I’d second adding Proraso green. Maybe speaking out of turn but it’ll probably take the top spot of your green splashes. It’s great (but scent dissipates rather quickly).

I don’t know if it fits your green category but Fine American Blend is also a very nice/traditional scented aftershave. Very simple ingredients and mentholated. (No eucalyptus though so maybe not green category)

Not speaking out of turn at all. I am anxious to try Proraso Green. It as on the short list. I have also heard great things about Fine aftershaves and want to try them.

Not speaking out of turn at all. I am anxious to try Proraso Green. It as on the short list. I have also heard great things about Fine aftershaves and want to try them.
Snake Bite is your choice. Proraso green is pure alcohol smell,no cool effect.

You thank me later.

I have not tried Proraso Green yet. It is, and has been, on the short list of AS to try when the budget opens up. How would you describe it? I know it has eucalyptus, and I LOVE eucalyptus.

Eucalyptus, menthol, classic (Italian) barbershop, what’s not to like?? :a14::a14:

I have those Stirling scents in soaps, and they are great. I will have to get these in aftershaves in the future.

I have those Stirling scents in soaps, and they are great. I will have to get these in aftershaves in the future.

Haha. Don’t you love this forum? And people say they traditionally wet shave to save money.

Looking forward to your other AS categories.

Dollar General carries Barbasol Brisk and a Classic Splash brut clone. Both are green. The Brisk is similar to Skin Bracer but with more menthol and powder scent with less vanilla. The Brut clone is as you can imagine similar scent to Brut but way less. It only lasts about 30 minutes and it's gone. Brut lingers for hours. Which is great, but some days I don't want a lingering scent and reach for the clone.

Top Bottom