What's new

My year long aftershave adventure: Lilac/Floral

Some controversial aftershaves:

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal: The VEG! People either love or hate it, or I should say are chosen or un-chosen. Probably no other aftershave is as sensitive to skin chemistry as Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. I am happy to report that I am one of the chosen! I just splashed some on right before sitting down to write this review. This aftershave has been in production since 1880. Talk about old school. I have been using the Veg off and on since high school. The scent is both simple and complex at the same time. Lilac, green notes (vegetal), and a hint of musk I think. The dry down brings a slow metamorphosis. Initially I get about equal parts lilac and greenery with the musk buried down in there somewhere. As the day goes on the green notes fade (but never disappear completely) and the lilac and musk (again, I think this is what it is) stick around. And when I say stick around I mean it. I put some the other night before bed and I could still smell it on my hands the next morning. My only complaint is that I wish the green notes were more prominent (heresy I'm sure). That is my favorite part. For those that are un-chosen, there are other old school lilac options (see below).

Master Lilac Vegetol: Yes, it is spelled differently. Many people who hate Pinaud's version love Master's version. I myself do not care for it. That is not to say I do not like the scent. I do, just not on me. This has a more pure lilac scent. It is truly delightful, like putting your face into a bouquet of fresh picked lilacs. But I do not get much in the way of green notes like Pinaud's. That is why I do not care for it. Way too flowery for my style. But I do understand why others love it. The face feel of both Master and Pinaud are good, though neither have any glycerine. I PIF'd this to a friend.

Master Breeze: This is a an odd duck to me. When I sniffed this out of the bottle I thought what a weird smell. I get the same lilac scent as Master Lilac Vegetol, some green notes, and something else that ruins it for me. It reminded me of one of those oceany, beachy, breezy scented candles. On the other hand, the face feel is great as it has both menthol and glycerine in it. I PIF'd this to the same friend. To show how much mileage may vary he told me he likes it and his wife absolutely LOVED it on him! Vive La Diffe'rence!

Pinaud Eau de Quinine: This is actually a hair tonic that many use as an aftershave. It has been in production since the 1850s. It does a fine job as an aftershave, but it is not for me. The scent is a combination of florals (rose or geranium, I think), a little citrus, and quinine. The quinine was commonly thought to be good for the scalp back when people rarely washed their hair. This gives it a medicinal smell. I think it smells like Dr. Pepper mixed with cough syrup. When it did not work out for me as an aftershave I thought, oh well, I can still use it on my hair. Unfortunately, the smell in my hair still clashed with whatever aftershave I used. But again, many men like it so YMMV.

Next category review in a couple of days.

Shave early, shave often.

Thanks for this. I just received my first bottle of “The Veg” today from West Coast Shaving and I am happy to say that I am a chosen one as well. Neither my wife nor I cared much for the smell from the bottle but, when I put it on, (a small amount mind you) then scent was great and she thought so too.

I agree with the fact that it lasts. It has been 9 hours since I put it on. I have worked 5 of those and I still get whiffs of the scent. I can still smell it on my hands even after several washings. I work in maintenance so I wash frequently.

So far I am very pleased with it. I also ordered the regular Pinaud Clubman but it won’t come up in my rotation for a bit. I hope I enjoy it just as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Thank you for the time and effort that you put into these reviews. I really enjoy reading them.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
A good read; thanks!

Since the Veg's notorious industrial-bathroom/urinal-cake/funeral-home odor doesn't enchant me the way it should, other you mention pique my interest ...

AA

I bought the "Big ***" bottle of Veg from Bed, Bath and Beyond a few years back. It was noticeably greener in color as compared to the smaller bottle I bought back around the turn of the decade. It also smells greener to me, if that makes sense. You can actually smell the grassy notes, they're not overwhelmed by the astringent lilac notes.

I concluded that my older bottle must have "turned" at some point, and maybe this is the scent that some men are finding when they get their hands on a bottle that they find so objectionable. The newer bottle is much more pleasant to my nose.

$photostudio_1446164066701.jpg

Some controversial aftershaves:

Pinaud Lilac Vegetal: The VEG! People either love or hate it, or I should say are chosen or un-chosen. Probably no other aftershave is as sensitive to skin chemistry as Pinaud Lilac Vegetal. I am happy to report that I am one of the chosen! I just splashed some on right before sitting down to write this review. This aftershave has been in production since 1880. Talk about old school. I have been using the Veg off and on since high school. The scent is both simple and complex at the same time. Lilac, green notes (vegetal), and a hint of musk I think. The dry down brings a slow metamorphosis. Initially I get about equal parts lilac and greenery with the musk buried down in there somewhere. As the day goes on the green notes fade (but never disappear completely) and the lilac and musk (again, I think this is what it is) stick around. And when I say stick around I mean it. I put some the other night before bed and I could still smell it on my hands the next morning. My only complaint is that I wish the green notes were more prominent (heresy I'm sure). That is my favorite part. For those that are un-chosen, there are other old school lilac options (see below).

Master Lilac Vegetol: Yes, it is spelled differently. Many people who hate Pinaud's version love Master's version. I myself do not care for it. That is not to say I do not like the scent. I do, just not on me. This has a more pure lilac scent. It is truly delightful, like putting your face into a bouquet of fresh picked lilacs. But I do not get much in the way of green notes like Pinaud's. That is why I do not care for it. Way too flowery for my style. But I do understand why others love it. The face feel of both Master and Pinaud are good, though neither have any glycerine. I PIF'd this to a friend.

Master Breeze: This is a an odd duck to me. When I sniffed this out of the bottle I thought what a weird smell. I get the same lilac scent as Master Lilac Vegetol, some green notes, and something else that ruins it for me. It reminded me of one of those oceany, beachy, breezy scented candles. On the other hand, the face feel is great as it has both menthol and glycerine in it. I PIF'd this to the same friend. To show how much mileage may vary he told me he likes it and his wife absolutely LOVED it on him! Vive La Diffe'rence!

Pinaud Eau de Quinine: This is actually a hair tonic that many use as an aftershave. It has been in production since the 1850s. It does a fine job as an aftershave, but it is not for me. The scent is a combination of florals (rose or geranium, I think), a little citrus, and quinine. The quinine was commonly thought to be good for the scalp back when people rarely washed their hair. This gives it a medicinal smell. I think it smells like Dr. Pepper mixed with cough syrup. When it did not work out for me as an aftershave I thought, oh well, I can still use it on my hair. Unfortunately, the smell in my hair still clashed with whatever aftershave I used. But again, many men like it so YMMV.

Next category review in a couple of days.

Shave early, shave often.
Great reviews. Thanks

Top Bottom