What's new

My Yaqi-Pearl

So i have a Yaqi DOC. It's medium efficient. Whiskers get taken care of but lots of buffing involved, and the shave didn't last that long. It was 3 passes plus buffing, and it still wasn't perfect, but it was good. Someone showed it with an r41, and that sounded like a neat idea. I didn't want to buy an R41 though, because i had one and by itself it wasn't my favorite. Then someone else mentioned the pearl/cadet/insert private brand here. These were much cheaper. Then I found out you could get just the plate. These are waaaay cheaper. So $4 for the Yaqi + $6 for the pearl plate (both prices shipped) + a RR Barber Pole I already had = WOW. Talk about efficient and not scary all rolled into one.

I put a Nacet in it with 3 shaves on it. I had a small bump (maybe a small pimple, maybe ??) and found it on my first N-S pass. Small sting, knew it was a nick but I really wasn't concerned. Finished the pas and saw the little red dot. Like .25mm or less. Re-lather and pass two- S-N. So, if it wasn't for the swirling hair on my neck I could have called this done. But, alas i was licked by a cow and had to do a third pass, neck only. I never get full BBS on my neck because I won't shave sideways across my Adams apple, etc. It's just not worth the risk. That being said it was almost there after a diagonal pass, SE-NW. Very little feedback from the AS. That was 730 AM. It's now 530PM and I am just now getting some feelings of stubble on my cheeks, but barely, and only on my right side. If I had hit a third pass on it, it would still be smooth I bet.

This is on par with my much more expensive razors. All leave me smooth all day and into the evening. The difference is this razor can be had for $10 + handle. I would venture to say it is more efficient that my V2 Fatip, and BOCS. Anyone else using this frankenrazor regularly? I can tell you I will be!

So i have a Yaqi DOC. It's medium efficient. Whiskers get taken care of but lots of buffing involved, and the shave didn't last that long. It was 3 passes plus buffing, and it still wasn't perfect, but it was good. Someone showed it with an r41, and that sounded like a neat idea. I didn't want to buy an R41 though, because i had one and by itself it wasn't my favorite. Then someone else mentioned the pearl/cadet/insert private brand here. These were much cheaper. Then I found out you could get just the plate. These are waaaay cheaper. So $4 for the Yaqi + $6 for the pearl plate (both prices shipped) + a RR Barber Pole I already had = WOW. Talk about efficient and not scary all rolled into one.

I put a Nacet in it with 3 shaves on it. I had a small bump (maybe a small pimple, maybe ??) and found it on my first N-S pass. Small sting, knew it was a nick but I really wasn't concerned. Finished the pas and saw the little red dot. Like .25mm or less. Re-lather and pass two- S-N. So, if it wasn't for the swirling hair on my neck I could have called this done. But, alas i was licked by a cow and had to do a third pass, neck only. I never get full BBS on my neck because I won't shave sideways across my Adams apple, etc. It's just not worth the risk. That being said it was almost there after a diagonal pass, SE-NW. Very little feedback from the AS. That was 730 AM. It's now 530PM and I am just now getting some feelings of stubble on my cheeks, but barely, and only on my right side. If I had hit a third pass on it, it would still be smooth I bet.

This is on par with my much more expensive razors. All leave me smooth all day and into the evening. The difference is this razor can be had for $10 + handle. I would venture to say it is more efficient that my V2 Fatip, and BOCS. Anyone else using this frankenrazor regularly? I can tell you I will be!
I actually use that frankenrazor a few times a week. I have lovingly dubbed that particular combo as "Frankie Mk.III"
(Mk.I is a Merkur cap/Pearl baseplate, Mk.II is a Gillette Old cap/Pearl baseplate, and Mk.IV is the Merkur cap/Yaqi DOC baseplate, just in case anyone was wondering...) Definitely a good combination of efficiency and comfort.

Yep, Yaqi-Pearl guy here since February, great set up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Is my impression that the Razorock SLOC is supposed to be more aggressive than the Yaqui (or PAA DOC) correct? And has anyone tried the Razorock SLOC cap on the Pearl baseplate?

Finally grabbed a picture. Used it this morning. It is efficient and smooth and you can buff with it and still have no alum feedback, or AS feedback. It's fantastic. It's a fatip killer IMHO.

20180504_135448.jpg

Hmm... I'd like to try the combo, but not enough to buy two full razors, and I'm not finding anything like that on ebay now.

Finally grabbed a picture. Used it this morning. It is efficient and smooth and you can buff with it and still have no alum feedback, or AS feedback. It's fantastic. It's a fatip killer IMHO.

View attachment 883808

If it's a Fatip killer in smoothness & efficiency, then what would your thoughts be of this razor compared to the Karve in terms of smoothness & efficiency? I'm really interested in both these razors!

Top Bottom