What's new

My xtg technique remains my issue.

Well I am new in De shaving, almost one month. I am really enjoying and improving.

I do two steps, WTG (with) and XTG (across). I have found out that I get burns and nicks only during the XTG. Probably it is fault of my cartridge razor experience as I never did XTG with that.

I try to keep my skin tight during XTG and used a couple of different blades, but I am not improving as I want. Fortunately the nicks are really small and also the irritation.

I am using a cheap Wilkinson sword razor and Astra stainless blades. Today tried Astor Stainless which are less sharp but I got two minor nicks.

Is it normal,? Any tips on improving? Could it be the razor type?

You might try watching PaulHFilms videos on YouTube. He uses a technique of making a double chin which works well for him. My face isn't quite symmetrical, so it only works for me on one side--but it works well there. He also shaves with just about any kind of razor and blade there is, so I'll bet that you can find videos to match your combination.

Your angle and/or pressure is possibly out. You may have mastered it WTG. But as you say you never shaved XTG in your cartridge days so pulling a razor across you're face in an unfamiliar direction whilst maintaining correct angle/pressure may take a bit more time.

Try taking really short strokes. When I first started DE I found I was more tempted to go for longer strokes XTG than I was WTG because it's a longer pass going east-west/west-east than it is north-south.

There could be few reasons for this, but two of the most obvious ones are too much pressure (I'm betting on this one) and potentially not reducing enough in your first WTG pass.

My first comment is that XTG is not required!

If you chose to go XTG, then concentrate on razor angle and NO pressure!

I would say try lots of different blades, I have found a big difference between blades. Another suggestion is to try going the other direction XTG. For example, when I shave my head if I go back to front on the sides which for me is XTG I get irritation, but if I go front to back which is still XTG just the opposite direction I don't have any problems. I am positive that it has to do with blade angle and pressure, I guess it is just harder for me to mess it up going the opposite direction.

Great tips and feedback. So far that I feel confident based on your feedback are:

Better Angle
No Pressure
Short strokes

I will let you know!

I gave up on XTG years ago,
and I keep ATG to a minimum.

WTG is the Way To Go ... as many passes as needed, usually 2 for me.
Followed by touch-ups and fine-tunings and just a tad ATG if needed.

Your angle and/or pressure is possibly out.
This is very important, especially the angle. Been shaving DE for four years and three years ago I bought a little German travel razor. Seemed like a gimmick. So recently I acquired a new razor that I had to really dial in a new angle. With that my eyes opened up a bit and had the angle of my German razor so wrong.

From a really old horrible razor, I really looked at dialing in the angle with my German- really smooth, close shaves with no irritation. It scraped and hacked my face prior. I know this now and in hind sight I could of gotten such lovely shaves with it. And how lovely it shaves!

Because it took me four years and a new razor to figure this out, angle is so important to really concentrate on. And it changes with every different position of grip on the handle. The razor I learned on was so mild and easy, that I just never caught on. At least my Gillette Slim Twist gave me good shaves for four years, but I gave away another razor without really knowing it's potential.

The thing is that it was such an easy adjustment to get the blade from scraping, especially on the awkward XTG grip on my face. I never cut through the stubble and ended up applying pressure rather than shaving with a fairly aggressive light little razor.

I have to say that a few posts on B&B switched on the light bulb over my head.

Maybe this is not your case, but in a bit of embarrassment, after four years I managed to "learn how to shave" again with a basic DE principle that I missed completely.

Last edited:
How does some find the right angle?

Is the right angle the one that needs minimum pressure and cuts the same time ?

I am really good on Wtg so far and doing a double Wtg is working for me. Atg and xtg are still new territories still.

I am really good on Wtg so far and doing a double Wtg is working for me. Atg and xtg are still new territories still.
The general consensus is the razor at about a 30 degree angle to the skin.
If you go into Shave clinic & newbie check in>Wet shaving instruction & tutorials>Interactive DE thread>The DE shave>The inpact of blade angle>finding the correct angle you'll find some illustrations on blade angle (sorry for the long winded route I haven't mastered posting links to other threads)
But if by the Cheap Wilkinson Sword razor you mean the Wilkinson Sword Classic you might find that the margin of error in correct angle is smaller than other razors (at least in my experience). I put this down to the blade laying flat in the razor instead of curving when you load a three piece or TTO. But once I mastered the angle the shave was brilliant and I find myself reaching for this razor more than my Gillette Slim

Last edited:
+1 for try more blades

I still get a nick or two, but a simple dab with a styptic pencil fixes that within seconds and a dash of witch hazel-post shave will make you forget about it. Irritation and redness that lingers after the shave is the real enemy.

Trial and error really, there's no universal formula that works for all type of hair/face/razor/blade.

Try paying extra attention as you gently change the angle when you shave. You can start with exaggerated "handle almost parallel" to your face and gently move it away until you find the right angle. I bet you'll find the one that works the best for you fairly quickly. You should feel no tugging (assuming sharp blade) and will need very little pressure to cut hair. Your aftershave will burn less and less after as you get better at it.

Also, I'm sure you're aware that not everyone's skin likes and tolerates ATG, while WTG and XTG in my opinion are pretty safe in terms of irritation, ATG needs a bit more care and skill.

Top Bottom