What's new

My wife lovingly thinks I'm nuts over my growing collection!! How about you?

So I guess those rules only apply after acquiring a massive collection🤣
Well, depends on the objectives of the collection. If it is size then yes you're right. But if it's the historical significance and creative engineering. Then the size is actually not big. I have only about 150 razors. I compiled a list of razors to acquire and it's about another 150 razors over the span of 15 years. Just to give you an Idea about size. Renzo Jardella has 8000 and David Grant has 1200. My collection right now is not even 2% the size of Jardella's. And when completed it will be 3.5% of his. And that's in 15 years from now.

The real problem is forums like this. I've been a member for under two months although I did read B&B 10-12 years ago. The difference between being an observer and member is sharing your experiences as well as talking about merch. I already had 5 good brushes and 8 razors when I joined in the beginning of August (and three more brushes and some stuff at our other house). But since actually joining and participating, I've bought 3 new boar brushes, 1 synth brush, 4 vintage razors, 600 or so razor bleades, and a bunch of new shaving creams and splashes to try. I've also won two auctions of boxed Old Spice gift sets (I still mostly use vintage Old Spice as an aftershave). One box was a full cologne and aftershave bottle for about $20 +shipping and the other has not only the cologne and aftershave but talc (already have a bottle I don't use) and an unopened mug with a sealed puck of soap. That was $25 + shipping but the bottles were said to be about half full. Oh, and I bought a copper lather bowl after seeing the one one of our mods use.

I'm OK buying the consumable supplies but why I decided to buy three open comb razors, other than the cool to look at factor, is beyond. Actually, one ended up being free as there was undisclosed damage so the seller had me keep it and refunded the $10. However, I sent it to BRG and bought a restored Gillette The New while the Old Type was there. And now I sent that Old Type back after changing my mind and deciding replate it as all the plating was gone. Then, the other day, I bought another The New but this one has a ball handle. I'm hoping there's enough plating to simply clean and use. And lastly, I picked up a Slim to go with the 195 I've had for years.

Last edited:
Woman should expect that guys will collect crap, whether it's tools, books, knives, guns, razors, or music she hates. It's the nature of the beast they marry. I've been married almost 53 years and as long as I'm not collecting girlfriends or draining the bank account, she ignores my collecting knowing that in a few months or years it will be something new.

Woman should expect that guys will collect crap, whether it's tools, books, knives, guns, razors, or music she hates. It's the nature of the beast they marry. I've been married almost 53 years and as long as I'm not collecting girlfriends or draining the bank account, she ignores my collecting knowing that in a few months or years it will be something new.
It's the kids who have to clean up the mess we leave behind. As the trustee of the family trust, I had to go to California to do just that with my mom's house and sell it. Nobody wanted anything and, God bless my wife, she came with me and it took us a month to clean the place out and bring back the sentimental stuff. Only 4 days to sell the house but 4 weeks to clean it out. And we're heading in the same direction to do the exact same thing to our kids only we own two houses that are each twice the size of my mom's with about twice the stuff. Did I learn any lessons? Yes, don't do what I've done my whole life. Did I put any of those lessons into practice? Nope.

It's the kids who have to clean up the mess we leave behind. As the trustee of the family trust, I had to go to California to do just that with my mom's house and sell it. Nobody wanted anything and, God bless my wife, she came with me and it took us a month to clean the place out and bring back the sentimental stuff. Only 4 days to sell the house but 4 weeks to clean it out. And we're heading in the same direction to do the exact same thing to our kids only we own two houses that are each twice the size of my mom's with about twice the stuff. Did I learn any lessons? Yes, don't do what I've done my whole life. Did I put any of those lessons into practice? Nope.
Been there & done that. When my mom passed away in 2005, it took my wife and I 6 weeks to clean out her closets full of worthless moth-eaten clothes and shoes from the 50s & 60s. In 1964, I came home from my first semester in college to find she tossed all my 50s & 60s DC/EC comics and baseball cards. I'd be living the good life today if she only left my crap alone.

Been there & done that. When my mom passed away in 2005, it took my wife and I 6 weeks to clean out her closets full of worthless moth-eaten clothes and shoes from the 50s & 60s. In 1964, I came home from my first semester in college to find she tossed all my 50s & 60s DC/EC comics and baseball cards. I'd be living the good life today if she only left my crap alone.
I understand that! We moved to California when I was 7 in 1958. Had my parents let me keep my DC Superman comics, and baseball cards, well...

My wife thinks I am brilliant, handsome, funny, charming, witty and...wait a second, she's the one nuts!

Actually, she reads my daily GRUME, Shark Week, August Arko, Tabctober etc. post. She listens to my explanations about how I "need" another (fill in the space).
Bless her heart, I am a fortunate man and give thanks for her every day.

This thread is so wholesome! 🥲 You guys have amazing wives. (As a new wife, I could probably learn a thing or two from this.)

Yup, my husband also thinks I'm nuts.😂 To be fair, I run to him three times a week yelling "FEEL MY LEGS" so he can judge the results of a shave with another safety razor.😆 Incredibly, he doesn't mind that I'm weird. Likes it, even. Sometimes I can't believe my luck. I'm grateful for my husband every day.

This thread is so wholesome! 🥲 You guys have amazing wives. (As a new wife, I could probably learn a thing or two from this.)

Yup, my husband also thinks I'm nuts.😂 To be fair, I run to him three times a week yelling "FEEL MY LEGS" so he can judge the results of a shave with another safety razor.😆 Incredibly, he doesn't mind that I'm weird. Likes it, even. Sometimes I can't believe my luck. I'm grateful for my husband every day.
When women ask us to feel their legs we tend to think we're lucky. (don't tell him I gave away the secret)

I have been able to keep it manageable. Three vintage Gillette DE's (I2 Slim, D1 Flare Tip Super Speed and M1 Black Handle Super Speed), three brushes and a half dozen or so soaps/creams.

Small (36") vanity. I have a rack that holds all three, the soaps take up the bottom drawer though, along with extra blades.

She uses a disposable razor, my Atomic Rocket brush, and mostly the Fine American Blend to shave rather canned go. Only downside is we go through it faster....

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I have been able to keep it manageable. Three vintage Gillette DE's (I2 Slim, D1 Flare Tip Super Speed and M1 Black Handle Super Speed), three brushes and a half dozen or so soaps/creams.

Small (36") vanity. I have a rack that holds all three, the soaps take up the bottom drawer though, along with extra blades.

She uses a disposable razor, my Atomic Rocket brush, and mostly the Fine American Blend to shave rather canned go. Only downside is we go through it faster....

Ooooooo, what kind of rack do you have for your razors? I ask because I recently got one from a seller on Etsy, that does well for me. Here's a couple photo's showing it recently populated.

proxy.php
proxy.php

My partner shakes her head at me and the fact that I always seem to be sharpening something (not always a razor...but often...) and that there seems to be a vintage straight almost anywhere you look...however I think she's glad that they take up less room than vintage cameras (I've thinned my collection down a lot!) and she's well aware that they are cheaper and smaller than many other things in interested in!

My wife is pretty good. Only thing she doesn’t want is too many razors in the house. As long as everything fits neatly in my shaving den she is happy.

Jason.

My wife is OK with my collecting and refinishing vintage straights. I've let her know that my vice isn't gambling, drugs nor affairs. I don't collect expensive big things like sports cars and I've assured her that I pick them up cheap and can ditch them one day for more than they cost. Deep down, I know that she feels my buying razors gives her license to shop more often, so she's inclined to accept it.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I was wet shaving when I met my wife in 1975. She has always known I enjoyed a close shave and that I shave every day. When I discovered B & B, I think she was amused when I got a new razor, soap, and brush since I have always been frugal and got thirty years out of my last brush. As I ponder a second razor, she is surely wondering why.

Top Bottom