What's new

My wife lovingly thinks I'm nuts over my growing collection!! How about you?

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
have no idea what to do with all this crap! Don't live in a major metro area and am loathe to ship something like a '61 Fender Concert or a Martin D-42.
Just give me your address and put those items two out on the porch. I will come get them, and no strangers will go in your house. 😎😜🤪

All kidding aside, downsizing and decluttering are very hard and painful in many ways. But once you get through it, it is very energizing and spiritually uplifting. The wife and I have one year left before becoming nomads. I estimate I’ve rid myself of more than half my material possessions now. So I’ve got a good ways to go yet. But we are getting there.

I'm not too proud to admit I like chick flicks and romance novels ha! My wife doesn't like either; go figure...
Und, how long haff you had ziss problem? (A thick Austrian accent is hard to project in print).

(Remember, this 'analysis' is costing you $180.00 per hour, so you'd better keep your answers short and to the point).

Well,
I received a Gold Tech today. I took it out of the box and left it laying on the vanity. Oh No!!
My wife walked into the bathroom and saw it. The Gold color gave it away!!
She asked if I got another razor and I said Yes! She said: "You're nuts!" LOL!!
And I have another 5 razors coming in this week!:oops:
Lets see how that goes. I'm gonna have to give it a break for a while! (for real!)

I was just looking at my collection this morning. Really just looking. And all she said was “no - you have enough!” There is a new one on the way from the US :blush:

And then I said I do have a nose for bargains, so I could turn it into a business. To which she replied “the essence of a business is called buying and selling, not buying and hoarding” - and I stood corrected…:biggrin1:

Guido

It's a bell curve for me; at first, she was supportive and happy that I found a nice hobby. As it became harder and harder to intercept UPS deliveries and stuff was spilling out of bathroom drawers and falling on her head from closet shelves, she became concerned and voiced her opinions. Now that we have a will and she knows just how much my collection is worth when I croak, she is gleaming with joy and encourages me to keep "saving" er-- uh "investing" I mean -- um "indulging" in my hobby. 🤑

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
I recently purchased a Tiffany 925 sterling silver razor.
IMG_20220905_165416.jpg

"You owned Tiffany before me!!" my wife said.
Luckily she doesn't really mind, I have a perfect wife.

But I've already promised to buy Hermes perfume for her...

Tough times here, and she is probably right. Collecting is an emotional thing. We have to make a little more rational.
I personally set out objectives for my vintage safety razor collection.
  1. Historical significance
  2. Justified rarity
  3. Engineering beauty
  4. Beautiful presentation
  5. No need to collect them all (I am collecting razors not Pokemons)
  6. Strict Yearly budget limitations If you want to exceed, sell something.

Tough times here, and she is probably right. Collecting is an emotional thing. We have to make a little more rational.
I personally set out objectives for my vintage safety razor collection.
  1. Historical significance
  2. Justified rarity
  3. Engineering beauty
  4. Beautiful presentation
  5. No need to collect them all (I am collecting razors not Pokemons)
  6. Strict Yearly budget limitations If you want to exceed, sell something.
That's a great way to do it and fair for both sides. But to accomplish #5 & #6 takes and incredible amount of discipline.
Glad you've achieved all those steps!

That's a great way to do it and fair for both sides. But to accomplish #5 & #6 takes and incredible amount of discipline.
Glad you've achieved all those steps!
I don't have a choice, once your collection reaches a certain size and some of its objectives what is left to acquire is rare and when it is available it's expensive.

Most of my purchases now come from collectors that want to reshuffle their collection or thin the herd.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I was completely content with just my Claymore Evolution for 5 months. Then I started my brush buying frenzy. Along the way, I noticed @Cal using the same DE razor every almost day. So I decided to try a British Flat Bottom Tech. What’s the harm?

Fast forward just a few weeks and I have two of those and 4 other DE razors waiting for me to get home. LOL

I was just looking at my collection this morning. Really just looking. And all she said was “no - you have enough!” There is a new one on the way from the US :blush:

And then I said I do have a nose for bargains, so I could turn it into a business. To which she replied “the essence of a business is called buying and selling, not buying and hoarding” - and I stood corrected…:biggrin1:

Guido
I know that line!

Top Bottom