What's new

My Whisky Collection

Nice! I have a small collection of 22 bottles. Mostly unopened but I recently started to indulge. I started with a goal of 18 bottles two years ago. I resisted opening any till I reached my goal. I have multiple bottles of some of my favorite ones. Such as Balvenie 12, Oban 14, Lagavulin 16. I never want to run out of those. I drink blends usually and save my single malts for weekends or special occasions.

What is the cost of Lagavulin 16 in the U.K.? In California it goes for $65.

Every once and a while I'll get a coupon for $10 off a $50 purchase from a large wine and liquor store. That's when I will splurge on something extra nice. I have my eyes on Oban Little Bay next time I get my hands on a coupon.

Buster check out the price of Little Bay now. I picked one up for $40 this past weekend and i live in CT where a Lagavulin 16 runs about $90. I think Oban slashed the Little Bay prices drastically because it wasn’t moving at the initial offering price. I think the fact that it’s a non-age statement scotch turns people off. Doesn’t bother me in the least so I picked some up and was pleasantly surprised. It’s quite spicy which i like and I think it’s a steal at $40.

Sadly, I have about 70 to 80 bottles in my collection, which should have been enjoyed instead of parked in the cellar. It must be noted that many are 3 to 4 bottles of the same brand and variety.

This thread inspired me to start my own “wall o’ scotch.” Going to take me some years but i’m duly impressed!

I tried to collect once.

It did not come out well.

proxy.php

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I was putting together a collection, but I got a bit worn out on it. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I a smaller handful of bottles that covered a variety suitable enough to please myself and any guests. I'm winnowing the current collection down to that.

I'm sure I'll get a wild hair every now and than and pick up something else, and I wouldn't be surprised to receive the occasional gift, and there always will be room on the shelf for that. That's just the point of the winnowing, too. There will be room.

I was putting together a collection, but I got a bit worn out on it. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that I a smaller handful of bottles that covered a variety suitable enough to please myself and any guests. I'm winnowing the current collection down to that.

I'm sure I'll get a wild hair every now and than and pick up something else, and I wouldn't be surprised to receive the occasional gift, and there always will be room on the shelf for that. That's just the point of the winnowing, too. There will be room.

Tex what’s your current stock count? I’ve always tried to keep a fully stocked bar and only recently (because of this post actually) considered going the full “scotch wall” route. I currently have about 10 whiskeys, a couple vodkas, couple gins, 3 tequilas, 2 mezcals and assorted vermouths and mixers. That’s the level i’d consider “stocked” as far as being able to cater to any guest and having enough variety that i can drink or mix whatever i want. Some of the stuff has been there for a few years but the whiskeys and mezcals tend to go quickly so i feel like i’d need at least 20 bottles to start getting into the realm of a collection.

I started a scotch collection 2 years ago. Had 25 bottles at one time. I had a pretty diverse mix of bottles. As I sampled my way through them I found some less appealing and didn’t restock those. I now keep Islays, Highlands, and Spayside scotch’s. Those three regions appeal to my taste buds moods. I’m slowly adding bottles to back stock my favorites with an occasional something special from certain distilleries. Currently waiting for Oban 18 to be stocked so I can add that to my special occasion bottles.

I saw this article recently that might interest you all? This man rents a house to hold his whiskey collection.

You Been to JB’s Whiskey House? | PUNCH

I started a scotch collection 2 years ago. Had 25 bottles at one time. I had a pretty diverse mix of bottles. As I sampled my way through them I found some less appealing and didn’t restock those. I now keep Islays, Highlands, and Spayside scotch’s. Those three regions appeal to my taste buds moods. I’m slowly adding bottles to back stock my favorites with an occasional something special from certain distilleries. Currently waiting for Oban 18 to be stocked so I can add that to my special occasion bottles.

I saw this article recently that might interest you all? This man rents a house to hold his whiskey collection.

You Been to JB’s Whiskey House? | PUNCH

Thanks for the article! That’s an awesome idea. Wish i knew enough scotch drinkers to make something like that a reality.

Macduff, try things and collect what ya like. I have a friend who prefers bourbon and he’s got quite a collection. Just enjoy the journey.

Brings back memories..... Especially seeing the bottle of Ardbeg which was one of my favourites, the Bartok of Scotches.

Haven't drunk a single malt for years now. Drink very little - a small beer from time to time or a glass of wine if I'm dining out.

Nice collection!! I have few very rare whiskeys and scotches along with a few aging bottles of Reisling....the idea is to drink them one day when the time is right, like a 10th or 25th aniversary or a special occasion.

Its just hard to uncork it when you know their probably isnt another bottle of it in the world.....

Uncork... you could die before you get the chance or you may smash it by accident, either way you will regret it.

The right time is now...

Drink it and create memories!

I drank my Dad’s entire wine collection with my Dad, and to this day, they are some of the best memories...

We can no longer buy the wines, but we have the memories.

I have wines put aside in wooden boxes for my sons, not for auction or to increase in value, but to create memories going forward.

And every now and then, I pull out a treasure out of my collection and share it with my Dad!

I hope my sons will share their collection with me...

Top Bottom