What's new

My Wet Shaving Journey

So I wanted to start a thread about my journey into wet shaving for anyone else starting out or at the very least to document my journey. I had never shaved with anything other than a cartridge razor until about a month ago. I found the wet shaving world from following a link to the one blade razor and doing some research from there. Found a world I didn't know existed. An boy oh boy is it a rabbit hole.

So from some recommendations I started with a Edwin Jagger DE89 and a Mamba .70. I ordered some Stirling soap. With great trepidation and careful preparation I did my first wet shave with an Astra SP in the DE89 and a Plissoft Bruce brush. It was quite an experience. Lost some blood, but the whole experience was great, the shave felt good after about an hour and i was hooked. As guys I think we shy away from enjoying the process of hygiene for the most part and look at shaving as a chore to do as fast and efficiently as possible. Thats a mistake I feel now.

I didn't mesh well with the DE89. I didn't like the handle and I just couldn't gel with it. I tried Astra SP, Gillette 7 o clock yellows and Gillette Silver Blue. I didn't care for the brush either. So I did one of the cardinal sins and switched it up about a week in. I tried the Mamba with a 70/30 badger boar blend brush. The brush is heaven for me. And the razor, while it felt much smoother and more effortless, the shave was inferior. Barely a DFS, nowhere near a BBS. It got to where I would use a lot of pressure and a lot of passes and buffing to get a decent shave leading to blood and lots of discomfort. I think it was a combo of a mild razor and a very specific angle it required. I started to get disheartened. Thinking it would be comfort or efficiency, never both.

Fast forward to finding a good deal on a Rex Envoy. That was the best shave of my short career. It was effortless, intuitive, smooth, and insanely efficient. I used a Gillette Silver Blue razor. 3 pass and it was my first ever true BBS. And I didnt even try. I used zero pressure, payed attention to what I was doing, and enjoyed it. What a razor. Best shave of my life without a doubt. Zero blood, no irritation, and a smooth face.

I guess what I have learned so far is there is no "best razor" for you. I read that so many times to begin with but I did not understand it until now. Not saying the DE89 is a bad razor, I learned a lot from it and what I wanted from a razor. But it wasn't for me. And I had to experience it to understand. Nothing I read could tell me what using it told me. The same goes for brushes. I didn't know what I like until I experience it for myself. A variety of brushes can be had for not a ton of money. Try them. You will quickly learn what you like. I quickly learned what i like. Backbone and scrub. Some of my cheapest brushes are my favorite. And I'm sorry but for me, nothing artificial can replace real hair, at least not yet. Just my opinion.

I also thought I would for sure bowl lather. Not any more. I had to experience it. I can get a perfect lather in the bowl, but the quality of the shave for me is not the same as when I face lather. I may not get the perfect lather consistency every time, but the process of scrubbing the soap on your face adds to the experience, the scent, but most importantly, for me anyway, the smoothness and efficiency of the shave in general. Again, I had to experience it myself to know what I liked. I read everything I could get my hands on. Got some excellent advice from someone I met here, who I now consider a friend @Chan Eil Whiskers . But nothing anyone could say replaced figuring it out for myself. And I think thats part of the fun. Well, most of the fun lol.

Im just beginning, but I am figuring out what I like and I think everyone should experience that. Yes there are some universal truths and some great starting points that are accepted. But I look forward to keeping this log for myself and for others as I move along in my journey. Maybe it will be helpful for someone, maybe not. But either way I hope to pay back some of the time and help I was given by a great group of guys here.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Nice post. I expect this to develop into a fun and helpful thread.

1589314297854.png

It's a razor I know very little about, but it sure has a great looking, grippy looking, and nicely fat handle. I just read its specs and they sound good, too, according to what I tend to like, which doesn't of course mean I would like it.

I also like that it's made from real metal (SS).

Don't forget, my friend, what I was told by Rave @Raven Koenes and Cal @Cal and others: It's not real without pictures.

FOCS.Chubby-in-Best.Vitos.5-12-20.480.JPG

Here's another really good all metal (brass) razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

proxy.php

True. I gotta remember to include the picture. I tell ya what the handle is worth the price of admission. It is the handle all other handles will be measured by in my book. I intend to use it with all my other razors as well. Perfect size and weight and the grip is incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Envoy is an incredible shaver, I was convinced enough to pick up the Ambassador. To many happy shaves to come, Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_2092.jpg
    IMG_2092.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
Rex.jpg

Had a great shave.

What I liked: This razor is so superior to anything I have used to this point it blows my mind. The handle is the handle I feel all other handles should be measured against. I don't want a razor blade slipping in my fingers. The weight is perfect. The ease of finding the angle with this razor is incredible. It is so intuitive. I have a Timeless Ti .95 coming and if I dont love it, I might sell it and get the ambassador if this is any indication of this razor company and their razors. I got easily a BBS shave without even thinking about it. I may sound like a salesman and I havent tried a ton of razors, but this thing is just amazing.

I also love the Gillette Silver Blue blade. It will punish you if you dont pay attention, but it is glass smooth. I am on shave number 5 with it and it seems to be only getting better. I got a 100 pack of them and at this rate my son will have to finish them off.

Stirling soap lathers so easily and it is so consistent. Hard not to like it.

What I didn't like: While I liked the smell and the performance, Im not sure I like menthol in my shave soap. I rely a lot on the face feel of how Im shaving if that makes sense. And the Menthol seems to numb some of that so I cant feel it as well. More experimenting will be needed. Im not sure where on the spectrum orange chill falls on menthol.

Also being rush and having time constraints is not ideal for wet shaving. I was kind of rushed and found myself not paying attention but thinking about the next step forgetting things. Fortunately this razor is wonderful so it didnt make me pay.

What I learned:
- I like a grippy handle.
- Every other day shaving is perfect for my face and hair growth.
- Its best to set aside enough time to shave without worrying about the time.

IMG_6944.jpg

It just keeps getting better.

What I liked: As much as I was impressed with the Envoy over the DE89 & Mamba, Im that much more impressed with this Timeless ti .95. Best shave I've had. I feel like I say that alot. But this is a premium razor and provides a premium shave. Its very light. Almost feels like plastic its so light for the size. I put my go to GSB blade in it and went to cautiously shaving. It was absolutely effortless. There is more blade feel but its as smooth as butter. Highly efficient but not uncomfortable. I did almost no buffing 3 pass shave and it was 100% BBS. First time I've gotten one everywhere, even in my problem areas under my chin. And with zero effort. I used no pressure and by the 3rd pass was shaving faster than I did with any other razor and not even so much as a weeper. The strangest part was with the aftershave Ive always gotten a good burn. There was zero burn. Like there was no alcohol in it. So I got the closest shave of my life with absolutely no irritation. I think I can safely sell all my other razors. I dont know what else I would ask from a razor. And as always, Stirling soap was a solid performer and this is my favorite scent so far. The TDR 26mm Fanchurian was luxurious. So soft and so easy to lather. Good backbone and scrub.

What I didn't like: That the shave ended. Seriously, there was nothing I disliked about this shave.

What I learned: That to a certain extent, you get what you pay for. Diminishing returns was not the case with this razor. Not to say it isnt that way all the time. Im still learning the best way for me to lather. Ive started blooming the soap a little with a few drops of warm water shortly before I lather. Just enough to may the top of the soap wet. Seems to load easier. Even with a large brush like this I still cant make it 3 passes without adding some soap to the brush. Not sure if thats normal or not.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
View attachment 1102131

It just keeps getting better.

What I liked: As much as I was impressed with the Envoy over the DE89 & Mamba, Im that much more impressed with this Timeless ti .95. Best shave I've had. I feel like I say that alot. But this is a premium razor and provides a premium shave. Its very light. Almost feels like plastic its so light for the size. I put my go to GSB blade in it and went to cautiously shaving. It was absolutely effortless. There is more blade feel but its as smooth as butter. Highly efficient but not uncomfortable. I did almost no buffing 3 pass shave and it was 100% BBS. First time I've gotten one everywhere, even in my problem areas under my chin. And with zero effort. I used no pressure and by the 3rd pass was shaving faster than I did with any other razor and not even so much as a weeper. The strangest part was with the aftershave Ive always gotten a good burn. There was zero burn. Like there was no alcohol in it. So I got the closest shave of my life with absolutely no irritation. I think I can safely sell all my other razors. I dont know what else I would ask from a razor. And as always, Stirling soap was a solid performer and this is my favorite scent so far. The TDR 26mm Fanchurian was luxurious. So soft and so easy to lather. Good backbone and scrub.

What I didn't like: That the shave ended. Seriously, there was nothing I disliked about this shave.

What I learned: That to a certain extent, you get what you pay for. Diminishing returns was not the case with this razor. Not to say it isnt that way all the time. Im still learning the best way for me to lather. Ive started blooming the soap a little with a few drops of warm water shortly before I lather. Just enough to may the top of the soap wet. Seems to load easier. Even with a large brush like this I still cant make it 3 passes without adding some soap to the brush. Not sure if thats normal or not.
Well done! You’re a better badger man than I am; I cannot get even two solid passes of soap with badgers, let alone three.

As a side note 24 hours later my face is equally as smooth as it was immediately after shaving with a cartridge razor. That and zero irritation. What’s not to like. Timeless makes a fine razor.

IMG_6967.jpg

First shave with Barrister & Mann.

What I liked: Barrister & Mann. Soap was the star of the show. I love barbershop scents. Stirling being my favorite. I was initially off put by the scent on the puck. But after a couple shaves with B&M I have learned that they are not your typical soaps and the scent changes considerably when lathered. That was the case here and the scent is simply heavenly. I can see why they call is God's barbershop. I now have a new favorite barbershop. Performance was simply second to none. It lathered so easy, takes a ton of water and is incredibly slick. The post shave feel is also a big highlight. I now totally see why B&M is used by many. The aftershave is potent but smells and performs great.

The other big performer was the brush. Loving the TDR handles and the Fanchurian knots. Holds tons of lather, handle feels great, good weight. The brush itself is incredibly soft with good backbone and scrub. Whats not to like.

What I didn't like: Not a single thing.

What I learned: I really like B&M soap. I think the other soaps are going to get a backseat for a while as I have 6 different B&M soaps to try. I also thought I liked smaller brushes until I tried a 26mm. That seems to be a really good size. I also learned soaps can hold a ton of water. Makes the soap really last through all 3 passes. I needed to take more time to face lather.

IMG_6971.jpg

What I Liked: First time using the reserve base soap. It seems to have a big learning curve. Nice soap, great smell, excellent performance. I've heard it takes a lot of water and Im not sure I had enough. Even kind of thin compared to other soaps lather, it still had excellent performance. And the post shave feel is great. Very impressed with B&M thus far. I really like Stirling and still do. Some of the scents are just fantastic like Haverford and Barbershop. But if pressed I'm not sure what they do better than B&M except maybe price, but at the rate I use the soap thats not a huge concern. Razor was great. Aftershave is fantastic. TDR brushes are just incredible.

What I didn't like: Going from the Ti Timeless to the Rex Envoy will take some practice as its so much heavier I have to get used to using no pressure. Im going to make it a point to switch every other time just to see if I can get used to it or Ill pick one or the other but the timeless is going nowhere lol. If I didnt like the Rex handle so much it would be an easy choice. I did get frustrated with the reserve base soap, but thats on me and I need to learn how to use it.

What I learned: I still have a lot to learn. Especially about soap and how to lather. It seems like such a simple thing but it isnt. Variety is good. Sometimes Ill get a soap scent and think this is the best smell Im only going to use this. But that never lasts as variety seems to be one of the best things about wet shaving. Picking the scent, brush, and razor to fit the mood of the day is part of the fun.

img_6972-jpg.1108243
IMG_6986.jpg

Been really busy so Ive gotten behind.

What I Liked: Never in a million years did I think that I would enjoy a shave soap scented like earl gray tea. Another one that was off putting for me off the puck. But once lathered its simply amazing. Has become one of my favorites which I seem to say after every new B&M soap. Sunny Lane also was a fantastic sweet happy spring smell. Every once in a while I still get a bit of the smell so it hangs on for a while. Performance was just incredible as always. I really enjoyed it and will probably save it for nice sunny days that I will be outside. I also tried Voskhod blades for the first time. Very nice blades. Very smooth and sharp. Got an easy BBS. Couple weepers but I think thats normal for a new blade. I think they may be a notch better than my current favorite GSB. Great shaves.

What I Didn't Like: In among these shaves I also tried out Nacet blades. They did not agree with me. Used one for a couple shaves and was not a fan. Kind of tuggy and not as smooth. Not as close of a shave. Funny how individual blades are. I am also becoming unsure of Proraso pre shave. Its pretty over powering and I just dont know if I like Menthol. I thought it was assisting me in getting a close comfortable shave by being a preshave, so I tried shaving without it and everything went just as good so I dont think I will be buying more proraso pre shave. YMMV.

What I Learned: I did not believe that blades were so individual. I read it so many times but thought, come on, blades are blades. Not true. Im becoming a B&M fan boy. Have yet to have anything but a stellar experience with them.

As a side note, and please take this with a grain of salt. I am not saying anything negative about any company. But I started shaving with Stirling soaps. They are great soaps. Even better company. Prices are just crazy good. I will always have Stirling in some form in my Den. I was scared to try B&M but once I did try their Excelsior soap I was blown away. So I did a back to back shave with Stirling and then B&M and for me anyway, B&M just excelled in every way. The smell, the ease of getting a lather, the slickness, and the post shave feel even hours later put it on top. Obviously to each their own. Both have amazing products and amazing scents.

Attachments

• IMG_6972.jpg
    IMG_6972.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 404
I am also becoming unsure of Proraso pre shave. Its pretty over powering and I just dont know if I like Menthol. I thought it was assisting me in getting a close comfortable shave by being a preshave, so I tried shaving without it and everything went just as good so I dont think I will be buying more proraso pre shave.

That's the best way to judge everything. If it helps you to get a more comfortable, closer shave use it, if it doesn't, don't. And if you ever have a problem with comfort you can always try it again. Proraso preshave allows me to use soaps that would otherwise cause a bit of irritation and delivers exceptional, moisturised post shaves. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't bother with it.

That's the best way to judge everything. If it helps you to get a more comfortable, closer shave use it, if it doesn't, don't. And if you ever have a problem with comfort you can always try it again. Proraso preshave allows me to use soaps that would otherwise cause a bit of irritation and delivers exceptional, moisturised post shaves. If that wasn't the case I wouldn't bother with it.

You know you might be on to something. Maybe it’s best used with non top tier soaps. All I use is stirling and b&m so maybe it isn’t really beneficial. I hadn’t thought of that.

Top Bottom