What's new

My Week with the Durham Dorset

I noticed a mention somewhere around the forum that Tryablade stocks the Personna Pathology blades that fit the various Durham razors. I have several (Duplex, DuBarry, Dorset, 300) and have been disappointed in the Personna carpet blades that up until now were the only blade available to me - so I ordered a few pathology blades and gave one a spin this week in my aluminum-handled Dorset:

$SAM_0428.JPG
$SAM_0426.JPG
$SAM_0433.JPG

I've never been able to pull off the Durham Shuffle with this razor, it's easier for me to use it like a single edge razor, using the more aggressive side of the head each day and flipping the blade around between shaves. I used it for 6 days, three shaves per edge, and found it to be a wonderful razor.

The pathology blades are carbon steel, so it's very important to keep them dry between shaves. I was also careful to strop them after shaving, either palm stropping or with my Ingersoll dollar stropping outfit. I was careful to put a mark on one quadrant of the blade with a sharpie to keep the orientation straight so I wouldn't confuse myself when removing and replacing the blade.

Shaves one and two were great - ultra smooth, very intuitive blade angle (to the point that I didn't really need to pay much attention to it). One nice thing about the Durham heads is that they are so mild as to seem bladeless - you can even apply some pressure without causing irritation - yet are very aggressive at mowing down whiskers. These first shaves were super-bbs if there is such a thing; I caught myself feeling my face all day long.

Shaves three and four (second shave on each edge) were still smooth and comfortable. I performed a quick strop with the Ingersoll after drying the blade each day.

Shaves five and six were still quite good, but I could tell the edges were approaching the point where stropping wasn't going to revive them enough to ensure bbs - there are maybe 1 or 2 df shaves left in each edge. I have a Stag honing kit coming soon and I'll experiment with that to see if blade life can be extended. Still, 6+ quality shaves from one blade is pretty good.

I'm anxious to try these blades in the OC 300 and the Duplex as well as the black-handled Dorset; the DuBarry's angle with a perpendicular handle is hard for me to master for some reason.

If you have one of these great razors by all means try them with a pathology blade - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: JSW
I tried my newly acquired DuBarry and 300 today for the first time using a New Old Stock Duplex blade. I did not strop it first. I was not amused...lol
It pulled and hurt like a Chinese Dollar store disposable . I guess I will give it a go trying to strop one of them.... Possibly I am just to used to BBS shaves with Gem single edge and Astra double edge blades with no hassle to enjoy these razors. I did order some pathology blades : I pondered running down to Home Depot to buy some carpet cutters. I don't think they could be any worse than the NOS blades.

Are the Duplex blades really that bad or am I doing something wrong here ? I was hoping for at least a Gem Single edge quality to the Duplex blades.

I tried my newly acquired DuBarry and 300 today for the first time using a New Old Stock Duplex blade. I did not strop it first. I was not amused...lol
It pulled and hurt like a Chinese Dollar store disposable . I guess I will give it a go trying to strop one of them.... Possibly I am just to used to BBS shaves with Gem single edge and Astra double edge blades with no hassle to enjoy these razors. I did order some pathology blades : I pondered running down to Home Depot to buy some carpet cutters. I don't think they could be any worse than the NOS blades.

Are the Duplex blades really that bad or am I doing something wrong here ? I was hoping for at least a Gem Single edge quality to the Duplex blades.

I suspect that the edges on your NOS blades have deteriorated beyond redemption, I doubt that stropping will help unless you have a pasted strop. The carpet blades are stainless steel, I've not been able to strop one and get it any smoother than it is out of the package, which is to say they are okay but nothing special and not particularly comfortable.

I'll give it a go with the pathology blades when they arrive. Is it possible for a NOS blade that is still in the wrapper and free of rust to deteriorate significantly, and if so , why ? Serious question , as I believe you may be correct . Lacking a good microscope , I have no real way to look , but I am very curious . I am 55, and when I switched to Double edge wet shaving 5 years ago, my father , who is now 81 said "You'll be a bloody mess!"... I teased him about it , but then I tried some 50's and 60's off brand carbon steel blades which made me think that is why he said that . Had the same experience with them as the Duplex NOS blades. I see there are several threads regarding this topic so I will read through them ....

Last edited:
I'll give it a go with the pathology blades when they arrive. Is it possible for a NOS blade that is still in the wrapper and free of rust to deteriorate significantly, and if so , why ? Serious question , as I believe you may be correct . Lacking a good microscope , I have no real way to look , but I am very curious . I am 55, and when I switched to Double edge wet shaving 5 years ago, my father , who is now 81 said "You'll be a bloody mess!"... I teased him about it , but then I tried some 50's and 60's off brand carbon steel blades which made me think that is why he said that . Had the same experience with them as the Duplex NOS blades. I see there are several threads regarding this topic so I will read through them ....

I've read that unused vintage carbon blades that look good to the naked eye are too rough to shave with. I've tried a couple of old Valet blades that looked perfect and shaved like sandpaper.

So today I shaved with the Personna Pathology Blades from TRYABLADE.COM and I had much better results. It was a DFS plus. The Pathology blades seem to be much sharper than a NOS Durham blade straight out of the wrapper.

I had to rethink my initial reaction to the Durham. In it's day, I'm sure it was a very good alternative for men who didn't want or couldn't maintain a straight razor, but were used to the straight razor design. I also think comparing it's shave and blades to a Modern Double edge razor with a feather blade are comparing apples to oranges. The Durham and pathology blades are thicker. Thicker than a Gem style single edge , and way thicker than a double edge . To expect the same kind of shave from a blade right out of the wrapper in that style of razor and thickness of blade is asking a lot .

I got a DFS + so I'll hang on to my Durham and pull it out once in a while just for the fun of it. I may try to hone up and strop one of the old carbon steel blades one of these days and see what kind of edge I can get with some time and effort.

I think by the time Durham introduced the Dorset just after WWII, they had figured out that most safety razors had changed, and they tried to make other DE razors sound sissified. They advertised the Dorset as a manly razor: "The New Durham Dorset -- The first razor made expressly for outdoor beards... takes on wiry shiskers and gives you more power.... Farmers, ranchers and other outdoor workers... [with] he-man whiskers. These men's beards demand more shaving power than ordinary safety razors can deliver." Etc. etc.

So if that old carbon steel blade hurts and slices you up, take it like a man and wear your bandages with pride! It's not supposed to feel good. Leave comfort to hairdressers, mail room clerks, and the like. Something like that....

I noticed a mention somewhere around the forum that Tryablade stocks the Personna Pathology blades that fit the various Durham razors. I have several (Duplex, DuBarry, Dorset, 300) and have been disappointed in the Personna carpet blades that up until now were the only blade available to me - so I ordered a few pathology blades and gave one a spin this week in my aluminum-handled Dorset:

I've never been able to pull off the Durham Shuffle with this razor, it's easier for me to use it like a single edge razor, using the more aggressive side of the head each day and flipping the blade around between shaves. I used it for 6 days, three shaves per edge, and found it to be a wonderful razor.

The pathology blades are carbon steel, so it's very important to keep them dry between shaves. I was also careful to strop them after shaving, either palm stropping or with my Ingersoll dollar stropping outfit. I was careful to put a mark on one quadrant of the blade with a sharpie to keep the orientation straight so I wouldn't confuse myself when removing and replacing the blade.

Shaves one and two were great - ultra smooth, very intuitive blade angle (to the point that I didn't really need to pay much attention to it). One nice thing about the Durham heads is that they are so mild as to seem bladeless - you can even apply some pressure without causing irritation - yet are very aggressive at mowing down whiskers. These first shaves were super-bbs if there is such a thing; I caught myself feeling my face all day long.

Shaves three and four (second shave on each edge) were still smooth and comfortable. I performed a quick strop with the Ingersoll after drying the blade each day.

Shaves five and six were still quite good, but I could tell the edges were approaching the point where stropping wasn't going to revive them enough to ensure bbs - there are maybe 1 or 2 df shaves left in each edge. I have a Stag honing kit coming soon and I'll experiment with that to see if blade life can be extended. Still, 6+ quality shaves from one blade is pretty good.

I'm anxious to try these blades in the OC 300 and the Duplex as well as the black-handled Dorset; the DuBarry's angle with a perpendicular handle is hard for me to master for some reason.

If you have one of these great razors by all means try them with a pathology blade - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Hi Salty, I just noticed your thread from January and thought I would post. I too own several versions of the Durham razor and have tried them all. As a matter of fact I just shaved with my Duplex this morning loaded with a NOS Durham blade. Wonderful and comfortable shave for me.

What I wanted to mention to you and others is my experience with blades. I have tried the Personna pathology blades and I too find that they deteriorate after five to six good shaves but my vintage Durham blades that I strop on a pasted paddle strop once every so often and strop on a leather strop before and after each shave using the blade. I find this blade to be very keen and a smooth shaver.

I currently use two different blades in rotation when using my Durham razors being careful to mark which edge I used to shave as I try to use the other edge for the next shave. It works wonderfully for me.

Have you tried stropping one of the NOS blade yet and if so how were the results?

I have a bunch of NOS blades, an Ingersoll Stropping outfit that will accept the blades, and a complete Scott's ball bearing blade sharpener, but I haven't gotten around to trying to bring a NOS blade back to life yet. One of these days....

Top Bottom