What's new

My view on the Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream (Sandalwood)

A very warm good afternoon to all.

I have used the aforementioned shaving cream a few times (both with my Mach3 and DE razors) and it does indeed give a nice smooth shave. However in my experience it felt a bit 'lumpy' and I found the smell overbearing at times. I would like to try another Taylor Of Old Bond Street cream so can anybody recommend some alternative fragrances that are not too strong?

Having said the above it DOES indeed give a much better quality shave. I'll try some other fragrances and see if there is one which I like.

Jason.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Jermyn Street is a scent I just love, but I would describe the scent as strong (subjective). I am about to reload a tub of their Rose shaving cream. Guys either LOVE rose or hate it, I don't think there is much middle ground, but Taylor's Rose cream is a classic of the genre. I may not reload immediately when I run out, but over ten years it is present in my den, I'd say 80% of the time.

The problem with scents, Jason, is they are so subjective. One guy loves a scent to death, others cannot stand to be in the same room with it. It's a conundrum. Some of us are lucky enough to live near shaving gear shops where we can go and smell the samples. I don't know if you are, but do some research and check.

Other Taylor's scents which I like, but you may not, are ...

Avocado: To me it actually smells more like cucumbers or freshly cut wet grass, not avocadoes, but it is very light and refreshing to me. It does have avocado oil in it, and to my recollection I've never heard anybody having a reaction to it, and it is probably in the top 10% of any shave product for sensitive skin and after shave face feel.

Jermyn Street is also known as good for sensitive skin, and I love the smell, but it is not what I'd describe as subtle.

Royal Forest is one of my all-time favorite scents, based on Creed's Green Irish Tweed. Currently, I am using a Sterling soap with this fragrance, but this Taylor cream is one I can highly recommend. Supposedly, Creed created the scent for Cary Grant, and it is used by Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood. I don't know if that is true, but it is my top #1 scent in shaving, with no close second.

Cedar Wood is a scent I have not tried, so cannot offer an opinion on, but it highly rated by many shavers.

If you don't want to take a chance on not liking a scent, Taylor makes something called "Organic Shaving Cream" which has no scent, and aloe and jojoba so it probably pretty skin friendly.

Here is their site if you want to read their scent descriptions. Good luck!!

Royal Forest is one of my all-time favorite scents, based on Creed's Green Irish Tweed. Currently, I am using a Sterling soap with this fragrance, but this Taylor cream is one I can highly recommend. Supposedly, Creed created the scent for Cary Grant, and it is used by Robert Redford and Clint Eastwood. I don't know if that is true, but it is my top #1 scent in shaving, with no close second.
RF is supposed to be based on Creed Aventus (2010).

Indeed, SW is their most intense scent, ime.
Their Tobacco Leaf and Lime Zest are very nice, and relatively restrained.

Thanks to all for your replies. I'll try another fragrance from Taylor Of Old Bond Street and let you know how I get along with it.

Jason.

Sorry can you explain in more detail please? I am a bit lost with your reply.

Jason.
The performance of the cream is good, but i find i difficult to get all the residue off afterwards. The feeling on the skin is not as some of the better soaps. Maybe it is just me. I get the same with proraso cream. I usually use soaps.

Ahh I see. Many thanks for your reply. As mentioned before; the cream did indeed give better results with my Mach3 but in my subjective opinion; I found the smell rather overpowering. This is another question which is purely subjective, but I really want to know what gives a better more lubricating lather, cream or soap?

Jason.

Good evening all and thanks for your kind replies. Every reply is carefully considered.

I have a combination of very tough chin hair and sensitive skin. What I am looking for is a cream/soap that provides a nice thick dense lubrication without the smell being too overpowering. As mentioned in one of my previous messages; the Taylor Of Old Bond Street Sandalwood cream does indeed provide a nice lubrication and I cannot fault it for that; its just the smell of it I didn't like as to me it was too overpowering.

My shaving arsenal consists of my Mach3 and my Beautytrack DE safety razor which I have mentioned elsewhere on this forum.

The salesperson recommended that my first serious upgrade would be to get a shaving brush. I don't have one at the moment. However my wife knows how much I take my shaving seriously so she is looking to get something really nice for my birthday (which is in this month September). She is liasing with her friend to get me something really nice for my birthday so watch this space!

Absolute warmest regards to everyone on this thread.

Jason.

...what gives a better more lubricating lather, cream or soap?
The main difference between a (soap-based) cream and hard soap is water content.
In terms of lather quality or lubrication ability, there should be essentially no difference (if both cream and hard soap are top-notch).

I don't have one at the moment.
Ah, now I understand. I didn't get it when you said the cream is a bit lumpy. These creams are meant to be applied with a brush, after lathering them up. Two ways to go about it, some make lather in a bowl, and some face lather. I prefer the face lather way, I dab some on my damp brush then start brushing my face, adding small amounts of water on the brush, until satisfied that the lather is just-right. Perfection comes with practise, but it is not difficult to get it right.

Brushes don't have to be expensive. I am very happy with a Yaqui synthetic, very easy to use.

Smell is subjective, I love the Eton College, but it is quite strong. If you want to experience a range of them, get the sample packs to see what you like.

Ah, now I understand. I didn't get it when you said the cream is a bit lumpy. These creams are meant to be applied with a brush, after lathering them up. Two ways to go about it, some make lather in a bowl, and some face lather. I prefer the face lather way, I dab some on my damp brush then start brushing my face, adding small amounts of water on the brush, until satisfied that the lather is just-right. Perfection comes with practise, but it is not difficult to get it right.

Brushes don't have to be expensive. I am very happy with a Yaqui synthetic, very easy to use.

Smell is subjective, I love the Eton College, but it is quite strong. If you want to experience a range of them, get the sample packs to see what you like.
Good evening.

I have a basic synthetic brush which does the job for now. I haven't tried it with shaving cream yet but I am interested in trying the Geo F Trumper coconut soap or cream as I rather like the smell. I didn't know sample packs exist; thanks for that. I'll do some searching around and try some other scents.

Jason.

Top Bottom