What's new

My view on the Taylor Of Old Bond Street shaving cream (Sandalwood)

A very warm good afternoon to all.

I have used the aforementioned shaving cream a few times (both with my Mach3 and DE razors) and it does indeed give a nice smooth shave. However in my experience it felt a bit 'lumpy' and I found the smell overbearing at times. I would like to try another Taylor Of Old Bond Street cream so can anybody recommend some alternative fragrances that are not too strong?

Having said the above it DOES indeed give a much better quality shave. I'll try some other fragrances and see if there is one which I like.

Jason.
Try Eaton college and Mr Taylor!

Ah, now I understand. I didn't get it when you said the cream is a bit lumpy. These creams are meant to be applied with a brush, after lathering them up. Two ways to go about it, some make lather in a bowl, and some face lather. I prefer the face lather way, I dab some on my damp brush then start brushing my face, adding small amounts of water on the brush, until satisfied that the lather is just-right. Perfection comes with practise, but it is not difficult to get it right.

Brushes don't have to be expensive. I am very happy with a Yaqui synthetic, very easy to use.

Smell is subjective, I love the Eton College, but it is quite strong. If you want to experience a range of them, get the sample packs to see what you like.
Get a brush from whipped dog. I have several and they work just as well as my 3 to 4 hundred dollar brushes. Thanks to all you guys for the help you’ve given me through the years. You are a great bunch of enablers!

Good evening.

I have a basic synthetic brush which does the job for now. I haven't tried it with shaving cream yet but I am interested in trying the Geo F Trumper coconut soap or cream as I rather like the smell. I didn't know sample packs exist; thanks for that. I'll do some searching around and try some other scents.

Jason.
Buy a tub of the coconut, you won’t regret it. It’s about $18 on Amazon right now!

I have used the aforementioned shaving cream a few times (both with my Mach3 and DE razors) and it does indeed give a nice smooth shave. However in my experience it felt a bit 'lumpy' and I found the smell overbearing at times. I would like to try another Taylor Of Old Bond Street cream so can anybody recommend some alternative fragrances that are not too strong?

Having said the above it DOES indeed give a much better quality shave. I'll try some other fragrances and see if there is one which I like.

Jason.
Eaton college, Mr Taylor, St James. The rose is very nice but not everyone likes it.

Ah, now I understand. I didn't get it when you said the cream is a bit lumpy. These creams are meant to be applied with a brush, after lathering them up. Two ways to go about it, some make lather in a bowl, and some face lather. I prefer the face lather way, I dab some on my damp brush then start brushing my face, adding small amounts of water on the brush, until satisfied that the lather is just-right. Perfection comes with practise, but it is not difficult to get it right.

Brushes don't have to be expensive. I am very happy with a Yaqui synthetic, very easy to use.

Smell is subjective, I love the Eton College, but it is quite strong. If you want to experience a range of them, get the sample packs to see what you like.
You can’t go wrong with whipped dog brush ( around $40 ). I have Thater, simpson,Lee Sebrini and I use my whipped dog brushes more than the others. Larry is a damn fine person!

A great lather for me from the TOBS Rose Cream and Phoenix StarCraft brush. It’s so comfortable on my face I don’t want to shave it off. But I do. It’s a lovely shave if you like the scent.

My wife loves the Rose cream. As I pass her by, she pecks my cheek, inhales the scent and says, “mmmm you are always so well groomed.”
What more can you say? 😌🙂

7178D307-0D11-40AF-AF7B-E012DF6814C3.jpeg

Last edited:
A great lather for me from the TOBS Rose Cream and Phoenix StarCraft brush. It’s so comfortable on my face I don’t want to shave it off. But I do. It’s a lovely shave if you like the scent.

My wife loves the Rose cream. As I pass her by, she pecks my cheek, inhales the scent and says, “mmmm you are always so well groomed.”
What more can you say? 😌🙂

View attachment 1532444
Great looking EJ razor. Love that handle!

What's the razor? Oops, just found a post of your saying it's a DE89 but is the handle something from EJ or?
Hi @CCS
You’re right, It’s an Edwin Jagger DE89 with barley handle that they sell as a gold plated version. It’s a lovely shave and looks beautiful. It’s a mild razor and uses the same head, I believe, as the Mühle R89 only it’s gold plated.
I agree about the handle . 😊👍

Hi @CCS
You’re right, It’s an Edwin Jagger DE89 with barley handle that they sell as a gold plated version. It’s a lovely shave and looks beautiful. It’s a mild razor and uses the same head, I believe, as the Mühle R89 only it’s gold plated.
I agree about the handle . 😊👍
IIRC, the handles from EJ razors fit Gillette razors. It looks similar to the old Gillette ball end handles from the early razors. I have a chrome DE89 with the lined handle. Might be nice to replace it with this one!

IIRC, the handles from EJ razors fit Gillette razors. It looks similar to the old Gillette ball end handles from the early razors. I have a chrome DE89 with the lined handle. Might be nice to replace it with this one!
@CCS
Here’s my take on the Gold version which I posted in a different thread. It’s definitely more comfortable than the chrome version for me. 😊👍

Post shave balm: Nivea Skin Energy
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: Phoenix StarCraft
Cream: TOBS Rose
Razor: Edwin Jagger Gold DE89 Barley Handle
Blade: Derby Extra 3rd use

This gold razor definitely feels different on my face and I notice the shave is exceptionally comfortable. There’s a lot of nickel content in stainless steel and also in chrome plating and I know I’m allergic to this metal. I once had a cheap Flute with a nickel plating on the head and lip plate (where you blow into the flute) and it burned my chin area under my lower lip. Itchy red patches appeared there after I played for an hour or so. Nickel allergy is quite common so perhaps a stainless steel razor blade and head or chrome plated razor heads might contribute to shaving irritation for those who are allergic to this metal? Perhaps some of the coatings on stainless steel Razor blades helps minimise nickel irritation and is the reason that Derby Blades in particular suit me. Who knows. An interesting thought.

Reactions: CCS
@CCS
Here’s my take on the Gold version which I posted in a different thread. It’s definitely more comfortable than the chrome version for me. 😊👍

Post shave balm: Nivea Skin Energy
Bowl: Fine Accoutrements
Brush: Phoenix StarCraft
Cream: TOBS Rose
Razor: Edwin Jagger Gold DE89 Barley Handle
Blade: Derby Extra 3rd use

This gold razor definitely feels different on my face and I notice the shave is exceptionally comfortable. There’s a lot of nickel content in stainless steel and also in chrome plating and I know I’m allergic to this metal. I once had a cheap Flute with a nickel plating on the head and lip plate (where you blow into the flute) and it burned my chin area under my lower lip. Itchy red patches appeared there after I played for an hour or so. Nickel allergy is quite common so perhaps a stainless steel razor blade and head or chrome plated razor heads might contribute to shaving irritation for those who are allergic to this metal? Perhaps some of the coatings on stainless steel Razor blades helps minimise nickel irritation and is the reason that Derby Blades in particular suit me. Who knows. An interesting thought.
Thanks for that. I can get one for $68 but already have so many razors. However, I like EJ's old school design with this handle. I had trouble getting a good shave with the one I'd had for 10-11 years but @alumladd gave me a couple hints which were obvious when he told me but not obvious enough that I figured them out on my own. Lotta people don't like gold but, if it's done well, I'm a sucker for it. Hmmmm... ;)

Thanks for that. I can get one for $68 but already have so many razors. However, I like EJ's old school design with this handle. I had trouble getting a good shave with the one I'd had for 10-11 years but @alumladd gave me a couple hints which were obvious when he told me but not obvious enough that I figured them out on my own. Lotta people don't like gold but, if it's done well, I'm a sucker for it. Hmmmm... ;)
@CCS Well I’m conscious we might be going off topic on this thread so I apologise in advance.

I’d be interested to hear the hints for the razor you got from @AlumLadd.
You might want the gold version but you certainly don’t need it. Although according to the Borg, “Resistance is futile.” 😳

@CCS Well I’m conscious we might be going off topic on this thread so I apologise in advance.

I’d be interested to hear the hints for the razor you got from @AlumLadd.
You might want the gold version but you certainly don’t need it. Although according to the Borg, “Resistance is futile.” 😳
His advice was mostly about angle. All but two of my razors are vintage Gillettes and I've been so used to them, I didn't really adjust the EJ properly because my muscle memory was embedded in the Gillettes and rarely used the DE89 anyway. Once he said it, I had the "of course!" moment. Now, it works fine for me. I find it a bit humorous as I've been wetshaving for more than half a century and something so simple was something I wasn't doing with that razor.

Meanwhile, love TOBS Sandalwood! One of my first creams and still one of my favorites.

BTW, most of what I own I don't need but that never stopped me. ;)

His advice was mostly about angle. All but two of my razors are vintage Gillettes and I've been so used to them, I didn't really adjust the EJ properly because my muscle memory was embedded in the Gillettes and rarely used the DE89 anyway. Once he said it, I had the "of course!" moment. Now, it works fine for me. I find it a bit humorous as I've been wetshaving for more than half a century and something so simple was something I wasn't doing with that razor.

Meanwhile, love TOBS Sandalwood! One of my first creams and still one of my favorites.

BTW, most of what I own I don't need but that never stopped me. ;)
@CCS
Thanks for the angle feedback. Back in the 60’s I had a Gillette adjustable. Hated it. Grew a beard and stuck a flower in my hair.😂
Just buy the EJ Gold Razor and have done with it. 😎💪

Of the TOBS creams it’s Rose 1st. Coconut 2nd. Those are my only recommendations. There are some great alternatives…Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar or 1805. Good enough for the late Duke of Edinburgh and good enough for me.
Castle Forbes 1445 is bordering on Supernatural Magic and TOBS Rose is in 2nd place to that as it’s simply Nirvana.
😊👍🍺

Last edited:
I liked TOBS Sandalwood the first few times I used it, but after a while, all I could smell is chemicals. Eventually, I found the scent completely inauthentic and discarded the tube.

However, I really like their almond cream.

YMMV...

@CCS
Thanks for the angle feedback. Back in the 60’s I had a Gillette adjustable. Hated it. Grew a beard and stuck a flower in my hair.😂
Just buy the EJ Gold Razor and have done with it. 😎💪

Of the TOBS creams it’s Rose 1st. Coconut 2nd. Those are my only recommendations. There are some great alternatives…Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar or 1805. Good enough for the late Duke of Edinburgh and good enough for me.
Castle Forbes 1445 is bordering on Supernatural Magic and TOBS Rose is in 2nd place to that as it’s simply Nirvana.
😊👍🍺
I have a number of T&H creams, including 1805, Trafalgar, and Grafton. I also have their Rose (discontinued), Almond (discontinued), and Went Indian Limes. My coconut is GFT. Some years ago, I had samples of CF creams. They all worked OK but nothing better than what I was using and the lime they are so famous for was unpleasant to my nose.

BTW, I did order the Gold Barley Handle EJ. :rolleyes: ;)

Last edited:

Jason.
Mr Taylor

Top Bottom