What's new

My Vielong horse brush review

Hey guys, I thought I might share some thoughts on my horse brush experience, it might be helpful to people like me who have never before owned a horse brush. A month ago I got my first horsie, a brown pony Vielong B1409 for like 12 euros.

First off, this is the softest brush I have ever tried. Granted, I've never had a badger brush, but it's hard for me to imagine there is anything softer than this. It's like having a pillow on your face, there is no scritch at all.

Keeping that in mind, I found that it's perfect for face lathering. It creates lather quickly, it holds it well and shares it well, and it doesn't eat it. In bowl lathering, I found that it's slow to create lather because you're not supposed to press a lot when swirling. The lather generated on the face is richer and easier to create. It dries quickly, almost like a synthetic.

That leads us to the next point about horse brushes: tangling
So far, I have had zero issues with it. The instructions on the box say ''swirl with light pressure on the soap and massage it on the face'' and that's what I've been doing. Don't mash it in a bowl or you will get into trouble.

I would encourage people with sensitive skin to try it out. I don't feel the urge to go back to my boars and my T2 synthetic. I'm really highly satisfied and impressed with the performance of the brush. Imo, it's the ultimate face lathering brush if you're looking for something soft.

I haven’t tried a Vie-Long but I have a few Zenith horse brushes and they’re very much my thing. The Zeniths come in two grades - Extra Soft (100% mane hair - as soft as a synthetic and it’s quite a floppy knot) and 50/50 mane and tail hair (more backbone, very slight scritch/scrub, but still a soft knot). I like them both. They lather well, feel gentle on the skin, and the don’t tangle.

It’s good to hear the brown Vie-Long seems to be in the same ballpark. It’s hard to find information about the Vie-Longs, and what the differences are between different horse knots - black, brown, grey and white - and if there are different grades or mixes in addition to the different colours. Does anybody know of a source for this information? There doesn’t seem to be anything on the Vie-Long website.

It’s hard to find information about the Vie-Longs, and what the differences are between different horse knots - black, brown, grey and white - and if there are different grades or mixes in addition to the different colours. Does anybody know of a source for this information? There doesn’t seem to be anything on the Vie-Long website.
That is true. I got the brush from Gifts and Care. The site itself only had the model number. I googled the model number and a few sites said that it's pony tail hair., it doesn't mention mane hair at all.

I remember also someone on Youtube said it's from Spanish horse breed, those horses are brown. There are certainly differences. There are some reviews of Vielong brushes complaining about scritch and out right needle pin sensation on the face. There's problems with tangling also. I can only vouch for the one I have, I can't say how others behave. I wish we had more info, that's why I made this thread, to try to share share some info from first hand use.

That is true. I got the brush from Gifts and Care. The site itself only had the model number. I googled the model number and a few sites said that it's pony tail hair., it doesn't mention mane hair at all.

I remember also someone on Youtube said it's from Spanish horse breed, those horses are brown. There are certainly differences. There are some reviews of Vielong brushes complaining about scritch and out right needle pin sensation on the face. There's problems with tangling also. I can only vouch for the one I have, I can't say how others behave. I wish we had more info, that's why I made this thread, to try to share share some info from first hand use.

Vie-Long horsehair brushes with the least scritch tend to have a higher percentage of mane hair with the white color. The longer lofts can get floppy. I have one which is a white 50/50 mane/tail hair approx 24mm with 50mm loft which is a good face lathering brush IMHO. Overall, I prefer boar and badger, but the horsehair brush is a nice change of pace.

I have a Cremo horsehair brush (made by Vielong). I might use it a couple of times a year. It works well enough, especially for the price. I think the experience approaches that of a finest badger. Approaches, but not there. It is still a little to scritchy for my taste. I also have one with a knot from Virginia Sheng. It is unusable. It is way too floppy and tangles easily.

I have a $15-$20 Vielong horse hair and Simpson best badger that cost more like $100. There’s nothing wrong with the Simpson, it’s a fine brush and looks beautiful. The Vielong, however, is better in every other way.

I just got one of these a little while ago and have gotten a handful of shaves in with it. It's a really nice brush, but very thirsty compared to my badger so getting used to that. It's ridiculously soft though. A few shampoos and I cleaned the smell out fairly well. I am definitely satisfied with it.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have the red handled Vie Long. I tried it a couple weeks ago just to see what it was like after synthetics for months. I find it much to floppy now.

I have the red handled Vie Long. I tried it a couple weeks ago just to see what it was like after synthetics for months. I find it much to floppy now.
Ha! Timely post.

I used my red handled Horse today for the first time in well over a year. It is floppier than a Kent Silvertip now. I thought that was weird as I didn’t remember it being that way previously. Also, it still has that horsehair stank after a dozen or so uses and a year or two on a shelf airing out. Lathers and holds soap very well though…

DD83D20A-A7FD-47DA-B020-DFEB32EFC93A.jpeg

After trying multiple synthetics for travel, I got the Vielong as well. It smelled but there's a quick fix for that, which i learned on this site. Easy to find thru the search. I love the softness of the horsehair and it dries very quickly which is great when traveling out of a dopp kit. Haven't had the floppy problem and i only use it a 3-4 weeks a year when traveling. Plus I have yet to find a synthetic that i like as much. All my synthetics are either too firm or don't lather well for me.

After trying multiple synthetics for travel, I got the Vielong as well. It smelled but there's a quick fix for that, which i learned on this site. Easy to find thru the search. I love the softness of the horsehair and it dries very quickly which is great when traveling out of a dopp kit. Haven't had the floppy problem and i only use it a 3-4 weeks a year when traveling. Plus I have yet to find a synthetic that i like as much. All my synthetics are either too firm or don't lather well for me.
Try the RR Plissoft. It is a lathering beast. It sees soap, and starts lathering.
Keep them far apart when not in use!

Top Bottom