What's new

My Very First SR Modification

I've just recently gotten into the Straight razor side of shaving after a 4-5 year stretch with my walmart Double edge safety razor. I picked up a beginners kit with a gold dollar 208 I'm no expert at this straight razor shaving but I've never felt my face this smooth and I do NOT see myself going back to the DE or a cartridge. Today I decided to go into my garage and mess around and walked out with 2 sets of roughly cut out Walnut scales in my hand. There are 2 sets here doubleside taped together so I"m not worried that they don't match each other. My question to you all is what can I use for a pin I was thinking some sort of sex bolt but I may have trouble finding them small enough. I don't want to order something and have to wait for it to arrive in the mail I want to head to my local homedepot or lowes tomorrow to get what I need and get this project looking somewhat better.
20190506_120816.jpg

Micheal's or Hobby Lobby may have 1/16" brass rod. Some Ace hardware stores have trees from Hob-bits with 2-56 and 1-72 hardware.

good to know thank you all for the replies I'll look into it and see if we can't jazz up this gold dollar!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Have you thought about entering the 2019 Gold Dollar Mod competition? Some nice prizes up for grabs.

No I haven't thought about it. Maybe I should you never know what can happen until you try right?

I did some searching around at hardware stores near me... Can't seem to find the needed washers smallest I've seen are #4 and those are too big, HobbyLobby has the 1/16 brass rods so that is good to know Ace only had them online in store they only went down to 1/8 and didn't have the washers either. So today I ordered a kit from TheShaveMercantile. I'm one excited man right now. This is finally going to happen :)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
www.microfasteners.com

They have size 0 washers. Get two different outside diameters so you can stack. They also have 0-80 brass bolts and nuts. I have pinned with them. They are particularly useful for trial pinning. The right stuff is nickel/silver rod, 1/16" diameter. Brass is a bit soft. I use a large spoon for peening the ends down. Much better than a hammer. You can't miss the pin and ding up the scale like with a teensy weensy hammer.

My original idea was a barrel nut, barrel bolt, Chicago screw they have many names but I didn't want to order the wrong size and I have no idea what size hole in in my actual razor until I take it apart and this is the only straight I have so I don't want it out of commission. My pin kit should be here on Monday so either Friday night or some time Saturday I'll get to finishing it up I"ll pin everything together finishing sanding and put some oil on them to get it looking all purdy and I'm not worried about the hammer factor I've been a carpenter for the past 15 or so years but the spoon trick is a darn good idea I wouldn't have thought about that. This is a trial run if all goes well I'll order up another gold dollar and do some steel work on it and see what my demented little mind can come up with for scales.

I'm very happy with how it turned out... I'll consider my first attempt at a rescale on my very first SR a success! :a29:
20190511_182953.jpg

Top Bottom