What's new

My Very First SE shave With a Gem Macromatic Clog Pruf

I'd been speaking to B&B member Deelyte (Derrick) and he encouraged me to give an SE razor a try.

This past Saturday I was out for a drive and decided to take in a few antique shops. In a consignment/second hand store, I found a very nice Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf razor that cleaned up quite nicely.:)

gemcleanedwithblades.jpg

As you can see from the photo, I stopped in at a local CVS and picked up a package of their SE blades.

The razor was cleaned and sanitized, I had the blades. All systems were go for an A.M. SE shave!

(So, this morning was THE morning).
Wow! Just, Wow! What a remarkably close and comfortable shave! I'm stunned! As I sit here and type this, I pass my hand across my face and cannot believe how smooth it is! Let me break it down.

The first pass had me searching for the proper angle. There was plenty of audio feedback to let me know when I was on the dime. Once I hit the mark, the shave was VERY close! The razor and blade looked formidable. I mean, there was so much blade exposure visible, it looked downright scary. A youtube video I viewed last night remarked that the Gem Micromatic razor is the closest thing to a straight razor shave without having to use an actual straight razor. Well, that comment had me concerned just a bit. Yet, the shave was smooth. It yielded no cuts, nicks, or irritation of any kind! Safe! Close! Comfortable! Downright remarkable!

I used Proraso Green and a Semogue Boar Brush. I had a good lather to work with. I did three passes. WTG, XTG, ATG. The first pass, again, had me adjusting the angle. By the time I hit the second pass, I was getting the hang of it. The third pass really paid off!

During clean up, I opened the razor and took out the blade and saw this:
seblade-jpg.799753

I’m wondering how long before it starts to rust? It appears I need to tend to them a bit more than a regular coated DE blade. Perhaps simply drying will do the trick? Too bad more variations of SE blades aren’t offered. However, I did just read that Treet offers Carbon Steel With A PTFE. (Note: I did order from Amazon Gem Stainless Steel blades by Personna. I'm thinking the Stainless steel will eliminate this issue).

All I can say is, thank you so much to Derrick for all the information! It inspired me to keep an open mind and a lookout for a Gem razor.:) So very glad I listened to all his information and advice!:) And very fortuitous that I stumbled on this Gem Micromatic. (With original case and blade holder, only 12 dollars!)

A really, really nice shave! I’m just hoping the blade will last four to five shaves without starting to rust.

Bottom line, I'll start looking for another Gem razor!:)

Last edited:
And Lucifer captures another soul. Hehehehe. Congrats on the cool find.

Later Micromatics had a little dot on the door of the head (the "Guiding Eye") to remind users to keep the angle very shallow with the head sliding along the face. That search for the proper blade angle must have become a marketing challenge for them. Sounds like it took you less than one full shave!

Sounds like it took you less than one full shave!

Yes, I guess so.:) Online someplace it was stated that the angle to use is probably 20 degrees. I simply shaved until I felt it cutting and heard some audio feedback.:)

I'm looking forward to my second shave.:)

Glad you first shave with the MMCP went well!

The CVS blades are carbon, you "must" dry them after each shave!

As far as the angle, I've been following the manufacturer's instructions. They recommend putting the flat part of the razor flat on your face and...

...that's it...

Simply slide the razor. I got my best results following the manufacturer's instructions for the MMOC and Valet. It doesn't say anything about balancing the razor on your pinky...no offense...

These razors were not meant to be complicated to use.

Nice job on the clean up!

I'd been speaking to B&B member Deelyte (Derrick) and he encouraged me to give an SE razor a try.

This past Saturday I was out for a drive and decided to take in a few antique shops. In a consignment/second hand store, I found a very nice Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf razor that cleaned up quite nicely.:)

View attachment 799811

As you can see from the photo, I stopped in at a local CVS and picked up a package of their SE blades.

The razor was cleaned and sanitized, I had the blades. All systems were go for an A.M. SE shave!

(So, this morning was THE morning).
Wow! Just, Wow! What a remarkably close and comfortable shave! I'm stunned! As I sit here and type this, I pass my hand across my face and cannot believe how smooth it is! Let me break it down.

The first pass had me searching for the proper angle. There was plenty of audio feedback to let me know when I was on the dime. Once I hit the mark, the shave was VERY close! The razor and blade looked formidable. I mean, there was so much blade exposure visible, it looked downright scary. A youtube video I viewed last night remarked that the Gem Micromatic razor is the closest thing to a straight razor shave without having to use an actual straight razor. Well, that comment had me concerned just a bit. Yet, the shave was smooth. It yielded no cuts, nicks, or irritation of any kind! Safe! Close! Comfortable! Downright remarkable!

I used Proraso Green and a Semogue Boar Brush. I had a good lather to work with. I did three passes. WTG, XTG, ATG. The first pass, again, had me adjusting the angle. By the time I hit the second pass, I was getting the hang of it. The third pass really paid off!

During clean up, I opened the razor and took out the blade and saw this:
seblade-jpg.799753

I’m wondering how long before it starts to rust? It appears I need to tend to them a bit more than a regular coated DE blade. Perhaps simply drying will do the trick? Too bad more variations of SE blades aren’t offered. However, I did just read that Treet offers Carbon Steel With A PTFE. (Note: I did order from Amazon Gem Stainless Steel blades by Personna. I'm thinking the Stainless steel will eliminate this issue).

All I can say is, thank you so much to Derrick for all the information! It inspired me to keep an open mind and a lookout for a Gem razor.:) So very glad I listened to all his information and advice!:) And very fortuitous that I stumbled on this Gem Micromatic. (With original case and blade holder, only 12 dollars!)

A really, really nice shave! I’m just hoping the blade will last four to five shaves without starting to rust.

Bottom line, I'll start looking for another Gem razor!:)

A like the clean up. Glad you enjoyed your first time out.

Watch out for that rabbit hole

Whoops! I forgot to edit the title of the post. Apologies again.

For some reason, the edit function disappears after a period of time. I can no longer edit the original post. Hmmm.

You're good. No one was confused by the micro/macro thing.

Your Clog-Pruf looks like it's all brass. I'm pretty sure there were early MMOC razors that were unfinished brass, but I'd never seen a Clog-Pruf like that. Looks great.

Glad you first shave with the MMCP went well!

The CVS blades are carbon, you "must" dry them after each shave!

As far as the angle, I've been following the manufacturer's instructions. They recommend putting the flat part of the razor flat on your face and...

...that's it...

Simply slide the razor. I got my best results following the manufacturer's instructions for the MMOC and Valet. It doesn't say anything about balancing the razor on your pinky...no offense...

These razors were not meant to be complicated to use.

Nice job on the clean up!

A like the clean up. Glad you enjoyed your first time out.

Watch out for that rabbit hole

Thank,s guys!:) I was very happy with the way it came out.:) Looks so much better!

I always dry my blade after every shave. So it was by habit that I dried this blade after shaving with the Micromatic.:)

Flat against the face so that the handle is almost parallel with the ground? As I understand it, this has been an ongoing point of discussion.

I'll have to investigate this a bit more.:)

You're good. No one was confused by the micro/macro thing.

Your Clog-Pruf looks like it's all brass. I'm pretty sure there were early MMOC razors that were unfinished brass, but I'd never seen a Clog-Pruf like that. Looks great.

Thank you very much!:)

I had told myself (and posted in the DE forum) that I was going to make an effort to visit local antique shops, etc. for vintage razors. Looks like I got VERY lucky.

Again, if it hadn't been for Derrick's patience in giving me a history and understanding of Gem and SE razors, I may very well have passed this up! Because of him (and all on this forum), I was able to see exactly what I held in my hand. The only thing I was unaware of was price. Was the price I paid under, over, or right on the money? Regardless, I love this thing!

If you have the flat part of the head flat on your face, the handle would still be angled downward.

You can get away with angle adjustments with the MMCP and later GEMs, the MMOC is not so forgiving!

You can get Moderator to change the title!

Last edited:
If you have the flat part of the head flat on your face, the handle would still be angled downward.

You can get away with angle adjustments with the MMCP and later GEMs, the MMCO is not so forgiving!

You can get Moderator to change the title!

What's an MMCO? :001_tongu

Thank you very much!:)

I had told myself (and posted in the DE forum) that I was going to make an effort to visit local antique shops, etc. for vintage razors. Looks like I got VERY lucky.

Again, if it hadn't been for Derrick's patience in giving me a history and understanding of Gem and SE razors, I may very well have passed this up! Because of him (and all on this forum), I was able to see exactly what I held in my hand. The only thing I was unaware of was price. Was the price I paid under, over, or right on the money? Regardless, I love this thing!

$12 for the razor, case and blade box was about right; I've seen them go higher on ebay. I think you ordered the right blades from Amazon - just be aware that Personna paint scraper blades look just like the ones for shaving but are not acceptable for shaving.

Dorco makes a SE blade for shaving that you can find at some Dollar stores - they are lousy. Stick with the Gems. I find the lack of SE blade variety to be a blessing - no chasing after the One True Blade like we do with our DE razors.

Aaaaaaaaaaand another DE shaver sees the light.....

Thanks for sharing your experience!

After enjoying the newer artist club blades format I'm eager to try my GEM style SEs.

I have a MMCP, a Contour II, and a G-Bar, but no blades. Are the CVS carbon steel blades worth a try?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom