What's new

My Very First SE shave With a Gem Macromatic Clog Pruf

Watch out for that rabbit hole

Funny you should mention that. On my way home from work this evening, I stopped by the local antique store. I walked in, looked to my left and, in a display case, spotted a what looked to be a Gem Micromatic Open Comb Razor in very good shape.:) I looked at the price of 5 bucks, and snapped it up.

Just got done cleaning and sanitizing.:) Might need a bit of polish. What are the odds? A Clog Pruf on Saturday, an Open Comb on Monday.

IMG_20170627_170034.jpg
IMG_20170627_170054.jpg
IMG_20170627_170129.jpg
IMG_20170627_170149.jpg
IMG_20170627_182650.jpg
IMG_20170627_182723.jpg
IMG_20170627_182835.jpg
IMG_20170627_182914.jpg

Walgreen's, they had the stainless steel

I'm leaning toward the SS. The next time I'm there, I'll check it out.:)

I just don't like the fact that a shaving blade will build rust. Seeing the currently spotty surface after only one shave makes me not want to use it for second shave.

Funny you should mention that. On my way home from work this evening, I stopped by the local antique store. I walked in, looked to my left and, in a display case, spotted a what looked to be a Gem Micromatic Open Comb Razor in very good shape.:) I looked at the price of 5 bucks, and snapped it up.

Just got done cleaning and sanitizing.:) Might need a bit of polish. What are the odds? A Clog Pruf on Saturday, an Open Comb on Monday.

View attachment 799890 View attachment 799891 View attachment 799892 View attachment 799893 View attachment 799894 View attachment 799895 View attachment 799897 View attachment 799898
That's a fine looking razor Mark. It's more aggressive than your MMCP.

GEM by Personna Stainless Coated Single Edge Razor Blades

Scratching my head...how is that you bought SE blades made in the USA from the United Kingdom, but we can't find that exact blade here in the states?? Unless the SS Gems I purchased on Amazon are PTFE coated.

The blades are also available from Ted Pella (www.tedpella.com) Prod # 121-3 if you're okay with buying 200 blades or more at a time. They're actually slightly more expensive than from Connaught Shaving (even with shipping), but I'm just down the freeway a hundred miles or so from Ted Pella so I can have my blades in a couple of days rather than a couple of weeks.

--Bob

The blades are also available from Ted Pella (www.tedpella.com) Prod # 121-3 if you're okay with buying 200 blades or more at a time. They're actually slightly more expensive than from Connaught Shaving (even with shipping), but I'm just down the freeway a hundred miles or so from Ted Pella so I can have my blades in a couple of days rather than a couple of weeks.

--Bob

Mine took 10 days from England, they're excellent. I ordered from them twice, same results, they ship fast.

Great razor. I toss the towel dried carbon Blue Star blades on a dessicate packet after use and have had zero problem with rust.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Great razor. I toss the towel dried carbon Blue Star blades on a dessicate packet after use and have had zero problem with rust.

I'm now using pre-shave oil. I coat the blade with just a little bit before and after a shave. Even though, I'm still using my very first blade (two shaves so far), it appears to help.:) Plus, it's an oil you place on the face, so should also help with the shave.:) Time will tell.

Top Bottom