What's new

My Very First Razor-Burn

Gillette-Razor-SP-Open.jpg
Gillette-Razor-SP-Packing-1.jpg
Gillette-Razor-SP-Packing-2.jpg

Romer-7-Ricardo-1.jpg
Romer-7-Ricardo-3-piece.jpg
Romer-7-Ricardo-Box.jpg

My office has kept me busy, hence no SOTDs I posted in a while. Here is a quick one:

I have never had a razor burn in my life. Today I paired Gillette Super Platinum (the black one) with Romer-7 Ricardo (aggressive) and I learned how sharp this blade is. Yes, Gillette Permasharp (the green one) is sharp but the black one has confidence in its ability to cut and also knows that its sharpness is not going away anytime soon. It was on 2nd use and it was so sharp. I had 48 hours of beard growth and my beard is thick and quite hard. It's not easy to cut it. Certain parts of my face where I used a tiny bit of pressure (yes, only a tiny bit which is fie with other blades) it was burning for hours. Now I know why they call it a razor-burn. We all have an experience of touching something hot e.g. a boiling water pot, skin becomes red and that body part still feels super-hot for 1-2 days. This razor burn was like that.
For the first use I paired it with Gillette Super Platinum razor (yeah, that black plastic one). And this blade shines there. For me, my face loved this combination.
With blades+razor combinations it is always YMMV and for me:
  • the best mild combination is either of Permasharp with Permasharp (both razor and blade are green) and Super Platinum with Super Platinum (both blacks)
  • the best aggressive combination is Romer-7 Ricardo with Permasharp blade for 48+ hours growth. It cuts that growth so fine. For less than 48 hours, I am still experimenting with blades.
So yeah, Gillette Super Platinum is very, very sharp. And I am never ever pairing it with any aggressive or open-comb razor.
Also, the more I am shaving , the more am liking aggressive razors. Just staying a bit away from milder shaves. The only time I do mild is when I have 24 hours growth. But for that too I want to try some medium aggressive razor. I currently only have two mild and one aggressive razor. Blade and razor combinations take time and patience, not a quick and easy task. It's been two months and I just started figuring things out. One thing I can say for sure is:

We can read as much as we want but the experience of a DE shave is what teaches us about the reality

So yeah, Gillette Super Platinum is very, very sharp. And I am never ever pairing it with any aggressive or open-comb razor.
I have heard that is a good blade; sharp and smooth. Not all open comb razors are aggressive though, so you get to know a razor after a few shaves, as you have found.

The 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) blades are excellent blades. However, they can be misleading. They come with a fairly thick coating that makes them super smooth, but only mid-sharp, out of the wrapper. As the coating wears off, the blades become every bit as sharp as Feather blades. If you are not aware of this tendency, you can be fooled into thinking that you can shave with pressure. The result will be skin irritation or even blood loss. By the second shave, the blades are sharp enough to slice and dice you if you are not careful.

If a razor is so aggressive that you would be hesitant to use a Feather blade; use something other than a Super Platinum (black). I love the 7 O'Clock blacks in mild to mid-aggressive razors, but I would be afraid to use one in my Muhle R41.

View attachment 1623972 View attachment 1623974 View attachment 1623976

View attachment 1623977 View attachment 1623978View attachment 1623980

My office has kept me busy, hence no SOTDs I posted in a while. Here is a quick one:

I have never had a razor burn in my life. Today I paired Gillette Super Platinum (the black one) with Romer-7 Ricardo (aggressive) and I learned how sharp this blade is. Yes, Gillette Permasharp (the green one) is sharp but the black one has confidence in its ability to cut and also knows that its sharpness is not going away anytime soon. It was on 2nd use and it was so sharp. I had 48 hours of beard growth and my beard is thick and quite hard. It's not easy to cut it. Certain parts of my face where I used a tiny bit of pressure (yes, only a tiny bit which is fie with other blades) it was burning for hours. Now I know why they call it a razor-burn. We all have an experience of touching something hot e.g. a boiling water pot, skin becomes red and that body part still feels super-hot for 1-2 days. This razor burn was like that.
For the first use I paired it with Gillette Super Platinum razor (yeah, that black plastic one). And this blade shines there. For me, my face loved this combination.
With blades+razor combinations it is always YMMV and for me:
  • the best mild combination is either of Permasharp with Permasharp (both razor and blade are green) and Super Platinum with Super Platinum (both blacks)
  • the best aggressive combination is Romer-7 Ricardo with Permasharp blade for 48+ hours growth. It cuts that growth so fine. For less than 48 hours, I am still experimenting with blades.
Also, the more I am shaving , the more am liking aggressive razors. Just staying a bit away from milder shaves. The only time I do mild is when I have 24 hours growth. But for that too I want to try some medium aggressive razor. I currently only have two mild and one aggressive razor. Blade and razor combinations take time and patience, not a quick and easy task. It's been two months and I just started figuring things out. One thing I can say for sure is:

We can read as much as we want but the experience of a DE shave is what teaches us about the reality

’..experience of a DE shave (or most anything else) is what teaches us about the reality.’ Definitely!! :a21:

Top Bottom