What's new

My Turkey Gun

Almost everything about me is vintage. I hunt upland birds with a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge that was made in 1914, deer with a several vintage Winchester lever action rifles, and my home defense gun is a 1926 S&W Hand-Ejector in .44 Special. My turkey gun is a Winchester Model 1897 12 gauge, which was made in 1914. I love guns with hammers, been using them all my life.

Thanks
Cliff
Model 97.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's just like Granddad's old goose gun! Except for the thingy around the wrist of the stock and the sling. His had a full choked 30" barrel.

Wish I had one.

That's just like Granddad's old goose gun! Except for the thingy around the wrist of the stock and the sling. His had a full choked 30" barrel.

Wish I had one.
Yep, it's a whopper at 30" with a full choke. Since I hike and hunt for turkey I put that sling on it. It can get pretty heavy after a couple of miles. I use my much lighter 16 gauge for upland birds over my English setter. Thanks.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Almost everything about me is vintage. I hunt upland birds with a Winchester Model 12 16 gauge that was made in 1914, deer with a several vintage Winchester lever action rifles, and my home defense gun is a 1926 S&W Hand-Ejector in .44 Special. My turkey gun is a Winchester Model 1897 12 gauge, which was made in 1914. I love guns with hammers, been using them all my life.

Thanks
CliffView attachment 1131351

Have you had the 16 gauge modified or will it handle a 2-3/4 shell?

I love that 1897.

Thanks for your question. I had my Model 12 modified to handle a 2-3/4" shell. It works perfectly. It involved lengthening the forcing cone/chamber and the guy also lazered the ejection port just a little bit to enlarge it so shells would eject ok. I have another Model 12 16ga made in 1917 that I decided to leave unmolested, and I purchase 2.5" shells for it. They're not that hard to find, unless you need non-tox. I love my 97, just don't like carrying it mile after mile.

Cliff

Top Bottom