What's new

My Top Seven Razors!!!

Gents,

I love my Wacker razors, and there are other standouts in my collection that I enjoy immensely.

However, these are probably my favorite 7 razors of the bunch! They are all in mint condition, and are tremendous shavers (though I believe the Sub Cero to be unused).

Left row starting at top:

- Unused Second Generation Filarmonica 14 Sub Cero. I am growing a two week beard for its first shave, and will be fixing this situation a week from Monday. This razor came from an elderly lady in Michigan via EBay.

- First Generation Filarmonica 14 Doble Temple with gold on face still intact!

- Filarmonica 14 (JMP) reground to extra hollow by Salamanca with the Salamanca Stamp on the back of the tang. The cutlery shop that reground this razor 70+ years ago is still in business today! I am not sure if this was first or second generation...probably end of first, or beginning of the second based off the tang markings.

- Kron Vest 14 Gran Mogol Triple Medalla. There are not too many of these around, and this came to me in new old stock condition.

Right Row Starting at top:

- Circa 1924 French LE Hyalin 7/8 Frame-back...horn scales with the bark left on, and Sterling silver pins and washers. The gentleman I purchased this razor from bought it from a gent in Germany who took the time to restore it. The German had tremendous talent...the fit, finish, and look are simply stunning! I will also say that this particular razor is one of my top shavers.

- Circa 1850 The Celebrated For Barbers Use 9/8 Wade and Butcher; restored by Max Sprecher and dressed in his Blue Paua Shell Scales. Max did a tremendous job, and is a gentleman of tremendous talent. I cherish this razor.

- Heljestrand approximate 7/8 MK 133

I would assess the Le Hyalin, Kron Vest, and Salamanca to be irreplaceable. The other four would be very difficult, and costly to replace!

Vr

Matt
835857A1-F783-45A6-A12A-CC72965EFC60.jpeg
7B17025E-D09F-4408-9EF6-5499CBA841CE.jpeg
C50CFCAD-B1C8-41B5-89D5-2B8EECD5B6D1.jpeg
2FBC1D62-2252-4EA1-89B0-F3A3F1E17E8B.jpeg

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The case was made by Ferns Finewood Furniture in Cebu, Philippines. I did the design (that I do for free for B&B members). The timber is Philippines Mahogany. PM me if you are interested in one for a set of two or more SR's.

Ferns Finewood are currently making another case for my second set. Should be ready in a few days. Each case takes 2 to 3 weeks to make.

The case was made by Ferns Finewood Furniture in Cebu, Philippines. I did the design (that I do for free for B&B members). The timber is Philippines Mahogany. PM me if you are interested in one for a set of two or more SR's.

Ferns Finewood are currently making another case for my second set. Should be ready in a few days. Each case takes 2 to 3 weeks to make.

Very cool! I might just have to do that!

Thanks!

Vr

Matt

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Very cool! I might just have to do that!
I probably can't help with any engraving that you might want. I use Suarez & Sons here in Cebu for my engraving (not etching). They charge about USD 7 per SR. Freight for SR's to and from the Philippines would probably be a killer.

Most good experienced engravers should be able to do the job, even on rounded surfaces like my SR spines. My Vesperum was done using an X-Y laser engraver with dynamic auto-focus. My seven-day set was engraved mechanically by hand as their laser engraver was busy on other jobs at the time. Very hard to notice any difference in quality between the two methods.

nice razors gents!!!!

I'm about getting to be where I want to be.......but on the hunt for a couple of makers.

although I have a lot of German made razors, Aust will become a priority when possible.

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Here is my next set of seven. I am hoping that they will be even better shavers than the above.
IMG_20200724_120351.jpg
They are Titan 1918 ACRO T.H-70 SR's at about USD 80 each plus shipping. My second case is for these SR's.

My third set of seven will be Gold Dollar W59's because I love their Spanish point design. I already have 3 (at USD 10 each) to go and am just waiting on my supplier to get some more stock so that I can order the other 4.

Last edited:
nice razors gents!!!!

I'm about getting to be where I want to be.......but on the hunt for a couple of makers.

although I have a lot of German made razors, Aust will become a priority when possible.

camo

Ralf Aust makes a superb razor! You will be happy with that purchase I am sure!

Vr

Matt

Very nice collection Matt. :thumbup:

Those Fili 14s are fantastic shavers. I am surprised the Old Sheffield didn't make the cut. Tough competition.

Thanks Gabe! As far as shave, fit, and finish go, I think that the Wacker Old Sheffield’s are certainly in the top tier all the way with these razors.

However, something about these Spanish razors...I think the grind and the steel might be slightly more fine. I am certain that the Salamanca has the finest grind, and the thinnest blade of any that I have seen or used.

They just feel different on the stones, and on my face.

The others made the cut because they shave beautifully, are a bit unique, and aren’t as easily replaced as my Wackers.

Have a great week!

Vr

Matt

I love this picture! What a fun shave that was with one of the OSs.

AFF736EB-D4B2-4EEB-8A8D-1FF6834D100E.jpeg

Top Bottom