What's new

My top 5 sexiest razors.

My 5 most "sexy looking" razors would be these (random order):

Gillette Slim
1909 Gillette ABC
1936 Gillette Aristocrat
Merkur Futur
1934 Barbasol (non-floating, old style head with an art deco handle. It looks like stainless steel.)

Sorry. No pictures as I have no digital camera.

Feather-man, the ABC razor essentially is a thin cap Gillette Old Type razor with an ultra fancy handle. Shaves well, but the sweet spot angle is narrow, and the tips of the comb feel more pointed (and uncomfortable) than the standard Old Type

If talking about those from my own collection:

Gillette no 77 RFB. I really like the the raised flat bottom design.
Wolfman WR1-OC. Everyone, by now, would have heard of this. It is incredibly well-made.
Gillette Fatboy. I like both my Slim and my Fatboy but I prefer the Fatboy's design.
Razorock Stainless Steel Stealth Slant.
PAL adjustable injector. Another stainless steel razor but a SE.

Now for what I consider to be the sexiest razors ever made:
Darwin Deluxe. Probably the most beautiful razor ever made.
Kirby Beard & Co Razor
Gillette Toggle
Cobra Classic
Gillette Aristocrats. The whole bunch of 'em. Real beauties.

Here's my Top 5:
1916 Bell End Aristocrat
Gillette Silver Bulldog
Early Knob New Improved Aristocrat
1934 Aristocrat
1949 Executive
-----------------------------------------
Honorable Mention:
NEW De Luxe Belmont Gold
ABC Double Ring Silver (Shell Pattern)

I like to associate my top 5 sexiest (all contemporary) with Hollywood stars:

1. Muhle R41 Gold (Marilyn Monroe)
  2. Edwin Jagger Kelvin (Judy Garland)
  3. Merkur Future Gold (Geena Davis)
  4. King Cobra Classic (Audrey Hepburn - must be that black handle thing)
  5. Mongoose Chrome Polished with Heavy Dub Handle (Vivien Leigh)

An honorable older mention would be my Gillette Fatboy (Arnold Schwarzenegger). :biggrin1:

Why not ATT or Ikon? I think they're very utilitarian, and not sexy at all. Very good razors, though.

Great idea. of my personal collection, I'd have to say my sexiest razor, although not necessarily my best razor, is the Futur. That thing is really pretty. My O4 Super long handle is very pretty, the black and gold together are amazing (and it's one of my top 3 razors). The New Long Combs are very pretty too and very good razors. Beyond that, I'd have to sit down and take a look.

I also own a 30's Aristocrat like your Number One. I have some questions, though..if you don't mind.
1. How did you determine that it was a 1936? Were there blades with the razor and you used the date codes on the blades to date your razor? (Mine had no blades with it.)
2. Mine has no end cap and the rivet work is showing on the arms that open the doors. (As does yours) In later production of the 30's Aristocrat the rivet work did not show. Do you know when this change was made?
3. I know that they were offered in two cases--the gold Greek key case (like mine) and a leather case. Did one case pre-date the other, or were they both offered at the same time? Which do you have?
4. My blade case comes apart lengthwise and has the matching design as the case. Any help dating the razor by this feature?

I have had this razor for a few years and I agree--it is beautiful. I haven't done a lot of polishing on either the razor or the case because I don't want to loose the original gold. It shaves okay, but as you said, it is certainly not my favorite shaver, but I use it in a semi regular rotation just because it's so cool. Any help you, or anyone else can give me to date my razor will be greatly appreciated, because despite reading everything I can find, I haven't been able to nail down the year. Thanks!! Here's a pic:
$DSCN9983.jpg

In no particular order & from my stash.

1934 Aristocrat
ATT S2 Titan (yes I got it before the name change and I refuse to change)
EverReady 1912
NEW LC
Senator

I also own a 30's Aristocrat like your Number One. I have some questions, though..if you don't mind.
1. How did you determine that it was a 1936? Were there blades with the razor and you used the date codes on the blades to date your razor? (Mine had no blades with it.)
2. Mine has no end cap and the rivet work is showing on the arms that open the doors. (As does yours) In later production of the 30's Aristocrat the rivet work did not show. Do you know when this change was made?
3. I know that they were offered in two cases--the gold Greek key case (like mine) and a leather case. Did one case pre-date the other, or were they both offered at the same time? Which do you have?
4. My blade case comes apart lengthwise and has the matching design as the case. Any help dating the razor by this feature?

I have had this razor for a few years and I agree--it is beautiful. I haven't done a lot of polishing on either the razor or the case because I don't want to loose the original gold. It shaves okay, but as you said, it is certainly not my favorite shaver, but I use it in a semi regular rotation just because it's so cool. Any help you, or anyone else can give me to date my razor will be greatly appreciated, because despite reading everything I can find, I haven't been able to nail down the year. Thanks!! Here's a pic:
View attachment 612790
That is a 1936 aristocrat. Because it has a dome shaped head.

Top Bottom