What's new

My top 10 General Lathering Tips

Thank you for the advice. As a newbie (or revert, really), I struggled to get a good lather with soap until I learned face lathering. It works very well for me. (I'm a newbie in the sense that I returned to DE shaving after a long diversion into the multi-blade gizmos and always used foam from a can until recently).

Quite possibly the best post I have seen on lathers. You hit the nail on the head by not posting pics so people strive for your lather that in the end is a personal thing but to go out there and experiment and find there own winning formula.

Thank you.

I think there is an optimum, with maybe a wide latitude, but it is true that there can be different ways to get there, and a person needs to find their lather. Good post.

Number 10 is the key. Lots of times lather can look great but completely lack substance. Besides, the lather from various soaps and creams looks different from each other when they have reached their peak consistency. No two soaps are the same in this regard.

Couldn't agree more with both of you.
Ther are not two soaps equal and is also true that with the same soap you can achieve deferent results depending on the brush used, technique applied, face or bowl lather, amount of water, etc.

That said I would recommend you not to give up on a soap or cream until you tested it several times and under diferente conditions.

Soaking the boar little above the knot base results into more backbone so you could do that with boars.
Bloom the puck if it is a hard soap, easier loading, much better lather.
And from mantic59, Lather "upside down"

You can get a better lather more quickly by getting more water to stay in the center of the shaving brush. One way to do that is to hold the brush so the bristles are sideways or upright.

Last edited:
You can get a better lather more quickly by getting more water to stay in the center of the shaving brush. One way to do that is to hold the brush so the bristles are sideways or upright.
If it works for you great. If I personally have to lather a soap upside down or sideways, I'll use a different soap.

The only reason I will lather a soap sideways, is to catch the drippings and proto-lather in my mug or bowl.

Great post that helped me when I started a few weeks ago. Reviewing it again today was equally helpful, as I understand the tips much more with a bit of experience under my belt. Thank you!

Good post. This video here really helped me get my lather dialed. Once I got a feel for it, I got it perfect in my bowl/face.

Top Bottom