What's new

My Thoughts Opinions On Williams Mug Soap

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Williams is as basic a soap as can be had. It is an excellent example of “form follows function”. I don’t use it more than once a month but I still use it and really don’t have any difficult lathering it. I got around the large bubbles and thin disappearing lather by squeezing the water out of my brush and working up a good paste then face lathering adding water as I go. It has a very nice slickness and it works but that’s about it. The other bare bones basic soap, Arko, is a better all around performer and is just as cheap.

I know I'm late to the part on this one but I'll add my comments for future readers on how to get nice lather quickly and easily from your William's soap.
  1. Put the William's Mug Soap puck at the bottom of a bowl/mug and fill it enough warm water to cover the top of the puck and then 1/2 inch more.
  2. Let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the Williams soap to hydrate fully.
  3. Using a shaving brush with most of the water removed, begin loading the brush for about 15 to 20 seconds. It should start to lather nicely at this point.
  4. After loading, face lather, hand lather or use a bowl to whip it up to desired consistency.
I typically use a boar bristle brush for loading as it is generally more stiffer. When loading, you should be seeing nice lather forming fairly quickly. If you get a soapy, thin lather when loading, then you probably have too much water in the brush. Also, the warmer the water, the shorter the soak time.

If you follow the instructions and guidelines above, you should almost always get a nice, thick lather that is quick to create. Of course, you may have to adjust the parameters above slightly but Williams soap can be used to good effect.

I know I'm late to the part on this one but I'll add my comments for future readers on how to get nice lather quickly and easily from your William's soap.
  1. Put the William's Mug Soap puck at the bottom of a bowl/mug and fill it enough warm water to cover the top of the puck and then 1/2 inch more.
  2. Let it sit for 2 to 3 minutes, allowing the Williams soap to hydrate fully.
  3. Using a shaving brush with most of the water removed, begin loading the brush for about 15 to 20 seconds. It should start to lather nicely at this point.
  4. After loading, face lather, hand lather or use a bowl to whip it up to desired consistency.
I typically use a boar bristle brush for loading as it is generally more stiffer. When loading, you should be seeing nice lather forming fairly quickly. If you get a soapy, thin lather when loading, then you probably have too much water in the brush. Also, the warmer the water, the shorter the soak time.

If you follow the instructions and guidelines above, you should almost always get a nice, thick lather that is quick to create. Of course, you may have to adjust the parameters above slightly but Williams soap can be used to good effect.
the old williams soak trick works if you have a good puck

I wouldn't know if I have a good puck or not. This has worked for me for a number of pucks, which would be about in the 20 to 25 range since the early 2000s.

Have you tried treating a puck with aftershave? You grate it first and then let the shreds absorb the splash.
There was a fun 3017 group effort here, a couple of years ago right around this time.

The _____ Willy, 3017 Williams Mug Soap Challenge V2.0
I was in that, with my "Brutus Vilius" (Brut + Williams).
The mistake was in using it exclusively until the puck is gone - 29 shaves in a row. That ended up with me not using Brut as an aftershave for almost a year, because I got sick of the scent that I had previously liked.
I'm over it now, and Brut is back in the rotation.

The challenge did at least show me the benefits of "Stickified Williams", for face lathering.

To avoid shipping charges, I buy Williams 25 pucks at a time. I have not noticed any differences in the 10 years I have been using it. I have noticed that 2 year old Williams is harder to lather on its first use. After that it seems the same as a fresh puck. I always soak mine in a mug of hot water for a few minutes because I prefer a warm lather.

To avoid shipping charges, I buy Williams 25 pucks at a time. I have not noticed any differences in the 10 years I have been using it. I have noticed that 2 year old Williams is harder to lather on its first use. After that it seems the same as a fresh puck. I always soak mine in a mug of hot water for a few minutes because I prefer a warm lather.
i love warm lathering

Top Bottom