What's new

My Thoughts Opinions On Williams Mug Soap

Months ago I tried Williams mug soap. I bought them at a grocery store on sale for 99 cents lol i know my wallet is hurting. Well I know some people have a hard time lathering or have performance issue and in my opinion iv had some pucks lather good and some dont even soaked in warm water. My opinion speculations is that you can get good or bad lathers depends on the luck with the puck but hey for $1-2 what do you expect I still like Williams.

Months ago I tried Williams mug soap. I bought them at a grocery store on sale for 99 cents lol i know my wallet is hurting. Well I know some people have a hard time lathering or have performance issue and in my opinion iv had some pucks lather good and some dont even soaked in warm water. My opinion speculations is that you can get good or bad lathers depends on the luck with the puck but hey for $1-2 what do you expect I still like Williams.
Not sure if it's the quality of the puck or lathering technique that makes it challenging to lather (I'm one of those who kept trying and failing). It took me quite a while to figure out how to lather Modern Williams; but now that I can, I like it, get decent lather, and very good slickness. At right around $1US a puck that lasts longer than 50 shaves, it's a great deal!! I just wish it came in different scents.

Not sure if it's the quality of the puck or lathering technique that makes it challenging to lather (I'm one of those who kept trying and failing). It took me quite a while to figure out how to lather Modern Williams; but now that I can, I like it, get decent lather, and very good slickness. At right around $1US a puck that lasts longer than 50 shaves, it's a great deal!! I just wish it came in different scents.
I can lather well its just some pucks i think have varying quality i had one puck great and one puck not so great yea at a dollar great deal

It’s a good usable soap,does exactly what it is intended for perfectly. It’s all just soap, don’t overthink it.

Give it a good soaking, pour off the water and whip it good, whip it real good. Sometimes, add a little cream to it but give it a good thrashin'. Like a young mountain boy, the more you whoop it, the better it acts. You need to get your penny's worth.

Give it a good soaking, pour off the water and whip it good, whip it real good. Sometimes, add a little cream to it but give it a good thrashin'. Like a young mountain boy, the more you whoop it, the better it acts. You need to get your penny's worth.
haha

I have the exact opposite experience. Lathering is aggressively leads me to big bubbles and a thin, dissipating lather.

Slow, gently lathering leads me to thick, yogurt like lather.

Very good slickness in this soap. The only problem I still have is that its not as forgiving as other soaps if you are pressing too hard with your razor. Some may refer to this as how “protective” a soap’s lather is. I’m pretty sure that Williams requires low-presure (lower than the typical low pressure needed). I get more weepers with it than other soaps.

I still like it though. It took me a while to get the lather proper, but I’m glad I did.

I have the exact opposite experience. Lathering is aggressively leads me to big bubbles and a thin, dissipating lather.

Slow, gently lathering leads me to thick, yogurt like lather.

Very good slickness in this soap. The only problem I still have is that its not as forgiving as other soaps if you are pressing too hard with your razor. Some may refer to this as how “protective” a soap’s lather is. I’m pretty sure that Williams requires low-presure (lower than the typical low pressure needed). I get more weepers with it than other soaps.

I still like it though. It took me a while to get the lather proper, but I’m glad I did.
I have a theory opinion on how to combat weepers. Try holding your razor tighter in your handle and mild to no pressure. i notice if i slide even a little bit to the side thats how i get cuts try it out.

I can lather well its just some pucks i think have varying quality i had one puck great and one puck not so great yea at a dollar great deal

I have come to this same conclusion, there seems to be some variation from batch to batch. I used a puck of modern Williams that I bought on amazon that was awesome, next puck which I found in a local store gave me nothing but trouble.

The good
proxy.php

The bad

trust me, it was ugly :117:

I have come to this same conclusion, there seems to be some variation from batch to batch. I used a puck of modern Williams that I bought on amazon that was awesome, next puck which I found in a local store gave me nothing but trouble.

The good
proxy.php

The bad

thanks thats exactly what i was trying to tell everyone! puck quality can be hit or miss for me

I have a theory opinion on how to combat weepers. Try holding your razor tighter in your handle and mild to no pressure. i notice if i slide even a little bit to the side thats how i get cuts try it out.

I definitely can see how sliding to the side will give weepers and I fully admit that I am likely doing this. I’m just sayin that some other soaps allow for this a bit without weepers. I still like Williams though and will try what you suggest. Thanks!

The good
proxy.php

The bad

You, Sir, are the one whose youtube method helped me get past the bubbles. Thank you!

It's been several years since I bothered to even try using Williams. I have no doubt good results can be had, but to me, life is too short to spend it trying to force a good lather out of it. I've got plenty of soaps that work great without the hassle.

oh i forgot to mention something about the sliding it can even cause burn what i would suggest is trying a slight dry lather sliding really can be bad if your not good with technique on slick lathers especially against the grain nobody brings up sliding but its what helped me noticing my errors.

Thanks!! That's a great thread with a dizzying array of suggestions!! Love this Wet Shaving Adventure!!

I've recently revisited Skin Bracer - would make a great 1st attempt at that!!
i smelled skin bracer smelled awesome i have to pick up my first bottle.

Top Bottom