What's new

My thoughts on branching out vs. staying comfortable.

Warning: you've read this all before, many, many times. Many others have posted almost identical stories and revelations. I just had to throw my hat in the tired ring, hahaha.

So, I get into a mode sometimes where I find something I like that works pretty good and just staying there. When I got my EJ de86bl, I ordered a small sampler, found that Derby's worked best with it, and stayed with that for years. Then I got into straight shaving, and fell in love with that. After 5 or 6 blades I found my match, a Japanese made 6/8 near wedge with French point. Not as close a shave as the DE, but less rash and irritation and, surprisingly, cuts. I forced my brothers to try out straights, one bit hard, the other didn't, so I traded him back the straight for the EJ since it went largely unused anyway. Then I found myself in a situation where I needed to shave more often and in a quicker manner. I got back into DE's and wound up with the two loves of my wet shaving life, my Gillette Slim and my Maggard Razors v2 open comb. Both are superb. Decided to try out some new blades and boom, Mr.Polsilver came into my life. Absolutely perfect with both of those razors. I used Chiseled Face soaps and AS for a long time, and through great timing was able to trade with a member for some Captain's Choice soaps and AS. Boom, Cat o' 9 Tails. The best eva(so far). On a whim I decided to try out the Chiseled Face scents that I had neglected, and as an afterthought tossed in a puck of Haslinger Sheep's Milk. Oh, damn. That stuff is amazing. Like, really amazing. So, my current trifecta is Maggard Open Comb or Gillette Slim(set on 8) with a Polsilver blade, Haslinger soap and CC Co9T splash. Super close, smooth, and almost completely cut and rash/irritation free.

The point of this wall of text is that getting comfortable can be great, but also may stunt your growth or leave you bereft of a potentially much better shave. My progression has been over the course of several years, and nothing I bought was really expensive. Maggard has a program where you pay $20 and you get free shipping on any and all orders for six months. This is incredible when you only have a few bucks but want to try out a soap, blade or aftershave that can cost a whole lot more when bought whole instead of a sample. You can frugally experiment, and you can often recoup at least a portion of what you spent by selling what you find you don't like. There's also PIF's galore here, so sometimes you can try something out totally free of charge. All that was a roundabout way to say that I wish I didn't get stuck in my ways so often, and that it can be a very good thing to try new ones.

Thanks for sharing, Sir! - Well, as you said it might have been written before but I for one find it fascinating to read your personal story. I am really impressed by the journey that you have taken and inspired by the learnings - and reflections - you have picked up along the way.

Actually, my recent thinking at this point of my shaving journey is contradictory to yours! - Because every time I try out something new which turns out to be less good than my old stuff, I ask myself - why don't I stop trying out new stuff that sometimes disappoint me and at least for a while stay with the stuff that I have found that really works for me!?

It's actually not about cost but about trying to make sure that every single shave is a great one!

I have only been DE shaving for 4 months but have dearly loved wet shaving for 30 years. The DE has been a true revelation and I have gone all in and spent north of 1,200 bucks so far (don't tell my wife!!) on six expensive razors along with a plethora of new creams, aftershaves and fragrances. Wonderful.

HOWEVER - Here in Denmark it's hard to get hold of samples so making a mistake and buying something (at full price) that you don't care for once you try it is annoying. In my case, buying a Fine Platinum aftershave that I had such high hopes for, but which turned out a true disappointment, spurred a thought that maybe I need now to take a pause and enjoy what I have.

My learnings so far:
* Re Razors: I really love my AS-D2 and my adjustables, and I further have a new and beautiful Aristocrat that bit me seriously the first time I used it - so I need to practice on getting that right for now.
* Re creams and aftershaves: I am absolutely crazy with the Proraso Green combo of cream and splash. I'll enjoy that for now, and once in a while switch to the others I already have!

My final clarity was brought on by reading your reflections - so thanks again for sharing!

....And then, later today, I will pick up one last package of TOBS Peppermint cream, Cella AS and Pitralon Classic AS - all new stuff to me. BUT THEN I'm done for now - really.... or else I need to look up Shaving Addiction Anonymous :302:

Last edited:
Great post! I'd be extremely interested in the Maggard shipping program but couldn't find any info on their website.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Branch out, but always come home for a visit!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I understand the point, I think. There is growth, achievement, and excitement from experimentation.

But OTOH once one has reached the top of the mountain, is there really a benefit to trying to climb higher?

I can see both sides of the issue.

We all need hobbies. Hobbies are good for our mental health. Hobbies can be expensive, but if they keep a person out of the psychiatrist's office, they are cheaper than psychiatry. :001_smile

Dear Adrian,

As enablers tend to be in the top strata of the B&B membership...
Here is your medal:
upload_2017-3-28_20-40-24.png

for one of the most subtle enablement posts I've seen. Bravo!

Yours truly,

I have often wondered why I am still trying new things when I already have setups that I know work well for me.
However, I recently popped in a Treet Platinum blade and have been very impressed with it! There are still some undiscovered (by me) gems out there in other areas as well, I'm sure!

Top Bottom