What's new

My Tech's Age?

Hi, All. I'm curious about when my Tech was made. The top plate says "Gillette" in block letters. The baseplate has a diamond-shaped cutout. There's a "P" in the upper left corner and a "3" in the upper right corner. The handle is 3" long with cross-hatching and a ball end.

From the charts here on B&B and elsewhere, it looks like my razor may have been made in the 3rd quarter of either 1945 or 1970. Either way, it's a terrific shaver.

Which is it, or is there another answer?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, All. I'm curious about when my Tech was made. The top plate says "Gillette" in block letters. The baseplate has a diamond-shaped cutout. There's a "P" in the upper left corner and a "3" in the upper right corner. The handle is 3" long with cross-hatching and a ball end.

From the charts here on B&B and elsewhere, it looks like my razor may have been made in the 3rd quarter of either 1945 or 1970. Either way, it's a terrific shaver.

Which is it, or is there another answer?

Thanks in advance.
1970. There were no date codes in 1945. Enjoy!

Thanks! That scratches the itch. As a follow-up, would an older Tech shave differently from my 1970 model?

Thanks! That scratches the itch. As a follow-up, would an older Tech shave differently from my 1970 model?
You might look for what’s known as a pre-war Tech. They are a bit more aggressive than the post wars. There’s no date code, but they are easily identified by the triangular lather slots.
9C5910DC-72F3-4857-85E6-B3B471316550.jpeg

Pre war on left. Flat bottom English Tech in middle. NEW/Hybrid Tech on the right.

Thanks. It's funny. My 1970 model looks like the pre war head except for the date code. But I'll check out a pre war. BTW, do the English Techs shave differently from the USA ones?

Top Bottom