What's new

My Tatara Impression

Continue from my previous post: Envoy or Nodachi, opinions needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/envoy-or-nodachi-opinions-needed.607728/
My previous post is in the journey of deciding which razor I want to get, this post is my journey with Tatara.

Acknowledgement:
Thanks to all your help, I have narrowed my selection to Tatara. I further private chat with @JPO to ask for advice regarding Nodachi and Muramasa, since both are attainable by me. Watching them side by side for a long time, it is clear that I like the minimalist aesthetics of Masamune more. @JPO mentioned I could use the remaining to get their brush which tempted me, and so I did.

Acquisition:
So I acquired Full Nodachi CC on Masamune handle + Masamune CC plate + Badger brush (my first animal hair brush). The express shipping took only 6 days and with reliable tracking (FedEx in my case). Upon unboxing, the badger brush doesn't smell anything weird for me (maybe the smell is covered by the cork smell instead haha). But it is so tiny (similar size to Omega S Brush), never imagine it is this tiny... Although I haven't use it, its handle feels solid and ergonomic in hand. Perfectly fine for my Asian small hand.

DSC_3801.JPG

Razor first use:
Today I use the Nodachi with Astra Green blade, using my Yaqi Tuxedo knot brush with B&M Cologne Russe. I come to think that did they give me the wrong top cap? I verify it has shorter blade post, so it is indeed the Nodachi cap. I thought it would be more aggressive than my only razor 6C @ 6, but it is the opposite. Even when using my 6C @ 6 with Astra Green blade, I can still cut myself during ATG on mustache area if my technique slip, and requires a very light touch. So I still have to be extra mindful during ATG with it. But I don't feel worry doing ATG with the Nodachi, it is so much smoother, and more controlled. Reminded me of what Shane from Blackbird told me when I asked him about the Blackbird aggressiveness. Shane told me that I shouldn't worry about it because the Blackbird is more refined and controlled than 6C/6S. Guess I shouldn't really worry about the Blackbird being too aggressive. Attached below Shane's reply.

1624415807706.png

Continue from saying Nodachi is much smoother and controlled, I think it is also due to Masamune handle's weight. It is lighter than 6C so it is so much easier to control pressure and angle, especially during ATG. With heavier razor like 6C, a very very light touch is required when doing ATG, which is harder to control (but I definitely improved my technique to control pressure from using it too). Grip on Masamune handle is very well, its slimness aside from its weight also helps in control and precision (like a fine writing/painting instrument). Nodachi being smoother might be due to better blade clamping, but I don't know how that feels yet. In my first shave, I also feel that Nodachi has less blade feel compared to 6C @ 6. Weird, I know. FYI, the reason I switch from plate 5 to plate 6 on 6C is because it is much smoother for me. Now the Nodachi is even smoother than that!

Nodachi is very smooth and controlled, not aggressive for me. I even buff it on my mustache area, but no irritation. The Masamune handle is like what I imagine, nimble and precise. Nimble like a sports car instead of heavier razor that is like touring car. The benefit to that nimbleness is very pronounce when you do XTG and ATG, fun like a sports car indeed. It is also a well balanced razor, so very intuitive to use from the first moment. I love it!

Congratulations on the new acquisition and thank you for the wright up! I have similar Semogue knot and I love it so much I was just considering getting the Tatara because mine is an irreplaceable limited edition.

Badger brush (my first animal hair brush)
Just an FYI since it is your first animal hair brush, don't use Lavanille or any Vanilla soaps with it. They will permanently stain it. Check the website of any soap you buy, they usually provide plenty of warning if you know to look. I just noticed you used a B&M soap. Also, you can probably go a tiny bit sharper than an Astra since the Tatara is so smooth for you. You might want to see why everybody is raving about Wizamet on here and if it's a little too sharp then you have a range. I recommend Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Swords, if you can find them! Or Lord and Treet Platinums.

Last edited:
Just an FYI since it is your first animal hair brush, don't use Lavanille or any Vanilla soaps with it. They will permanently stain it. Check the website of any soap you buy, they usually provide plenty of warning if you know to look. I just noticed you used a B&M soap. Also, you can probably go a tiny bit sharper than an Astra since the Tatara is so smooth for you. You might want to see why everybody is raving about Wizamet on here and if it's a little too sharp then you have a range. I recommend Chinese Gillette Wilkinson Swords, if you can find them! Or Lord and Treet Platinums.
Thanks, I am not so sure what to do with the brush so I didn't use it yet. I just directly use my synthetic brush even it is brand new. Then I heard you have to wash it or so when it is brand new. I guess I will just lather the badger brush on my palm and let it dry before using it on my face. I use the Astra because I was afraid Nodachi is more aggressive than 6C @ 6, turns out not lol. My more aggressive blade available now is Perma sharp, and Rapira. I will try those you recommend too.

Now my soaps are Proraso Green and BM Cologne Russe, they should be fine right?

Thanks, I am not so sure what to do with the brush so I didn't use it yet.
There are differing opinions, I was comfortable enough just using it straight away. There is a different technique to using it than synthetic because of the way it holds water. You should probably search how to go about loading it and building your lather or I can help get you started. Mostly you need to be careful how you care for it. Warm water not hot, shake dry then gently rub on a towel and leave to dry. Etc.
Now my soaps are Proraso Green and BM Cologne Russe, they should be fine right?
Yes, it was just a warning because it's not a cheap brush.

Just pulled the trigger on a Muramasa Adjustable...figured that it covers
both the Masamune and Nodachi and the various permutations within its
range...while staying super smooth throughout.

I was looking for a razor that put a premium over comfort and smoothness
ad I already have some of the world's most hyper-efficient razors.

Just pulled the trigger on a Muramasa Adjustable...figured that it covers
both the Masamune and Nodachi and the various permutations within its
range...while staying super smooth throughout.

I was looking for a razor that put a premium over comfort and smoothness
ad I already have some of the world's most hyper-efficient razors.
Congrats. I think it is a completely different razor compared to Masamune/Nodachi because of its different weight, also better blade clamping according to "John shaves" on Youtube, and smoother according to both "John shaves" and "Kevy shaves" on Youtube. But I don't need the luxury of adjustability on the fly and many settings. Most importantly, I buy things follow my heart whether its design captures me. And knowing all of them perform well (just different), Masamune is the one that speaks to me.

Tatara has this unmistakable house style, whether its Masamune, Nodachi or Masamura –
they all look like they're cut from the same cloth. Whichever one you buy, chances are
you'll love the looks if you're sold on the house style.

I did some calculations....the Nodachi +Masamune heads with Masamune handle add up
to US$412.50 before shipping.

Muramasa was a no brainer (though still crazy exp) at US$389 inclusive of shipping).

Enjoy your Masamune it sure looks nice.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Continue from my previous post: Envoy or Nodachi, opinions needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/envoy-or-nodachi-opinions-needed.607728/
My previous post is in the journey of deciding which razor I want to get, this post is my journey with Tatara.

Acknowledgement:
Thanks to all your help, I have narrowed my selection to Tatara. I further private chat with @JPO to ask for advice regarding Nodachi and Muramasa, since both are attainable by me. Watching them side by side for a long time, it is clear that I like the minimalist aesthetics of Masamune more. @JPO mentioned I could use the remaining to get their brush which tempted me, and so I did.

Acquisition:
So I acquired Full Nodachi CC on Masamune handle + Masamune CC plate + Badger brush (my first animal hair brush). The express shipping took only 6 days and with reliable tracking (FedEx in my case). Upon unboxing, the badger brush doesn't smell anything weird for me (maybe the smell is covered by the cork smell instead haha). But it is so tiny (similar size to Omega S Brush), never imagine it is this tiny... Although I haven't use it, its handle feels solid and ergonomic in hand. Perfectly fine for my Asian small hand.

View attachment 1285934

Razor first use:
Today I use the Nodachi with Astra Green blade, using my Yaqi Tuxedo knot brush with B&M Cologne Russe. I come to think that did they give me the wrong top cap? I verify it has shorter blade post, so it is indeed the Nodachi cap. I thought it would be more aggressive than my only razor 6C @ 6, but it is the opposite. Even when using my 6C @ 6 with Astra Green blade, I can still cut myself during ATG on mustache area if my technique slip, and requires a very light touch. So I still have to be extra mindful during ATG with it. But I don't feel worry doing ATG with the Nodachi, it is so much smoother, and more controlled. Reminded me of what Shane from Blackbird told me when I asked him about the Blackbird aggressiveness. Shane told me that I shouldn't worry about it because the Blackbird is more refined and controlled than 6C/6S. Guess I shouldn't really worry about the Blackbird being too aggressive. Attached below Shane's reply.

View attachment 1285935

Continue from saying Nodachi is much smoother and controlled, I think it is also due to Masamune handle's weight. It is lighter than 6C so it is so much easier to control pressure and angle, especially during ATG. With heavier razor like 6C, a very very light touch is required when doing ATG, which is harder to control (but I definitely improved my technique to control pressure from using it too). Grip on Masamune handle is very well, its slimness aside from its weight also helps in control and precision (like a fine writing/painting instrument). Nodachi being smoother might be due to better blade clamping, but I don't know how that feels yet. In my first shave, I also feel that Nodachi has less blade feel compared to 6C @ 6. Weird, I know. FYI, the reason I switch from plate 5 to plate 6 on 6C is because it is much smoother for me. Now the Nodachi is even smoother than that!

Nodachi is very smooth and controlled, not aggressive for me. I even buff it on my mustache area, but no irritation. The Masamune handle is like what I imagine, nimble and precise. Nimble like a sports car instead of heavier razor that is like touring car. The benefit to that nimbleness is very pronounce when you do XTG and ATG, fun like a sports car indeed. It is also a well balanced razor, so very intuitive to use from the first moment. I love it!

The new razor sounds very interesting. I'll follow along with your adventure and learning curve.

I have a Blackland Blackbird and have not learned to enjoy it. Perhaps that is my fault as I've certainly not used it consistently enough to climb any sort of learning curve. It shaves close. I don't mind the blade feel and I'd call it smooth feeling. However, it has a tendency to jump up out of nowhere and bite me. Perhaps I really should use it every day for a few weeks but I've not worked up the nerve.

For the record, I can shave with most razors I've tried including the 2013 R41, the Karve G, etc. There are others that I experience as occasional biters, such as the Wunderbar and the iKon Tech.

I've gotta be an atypical Blackbird user. It is certainly a much loved razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The new razor sounds very interesting. I'll follow along with your adventure and learning curve.

I have a Blackland Blackbird and have not learned to enjoy it. Perhaps that is my fault as I've certainly not used it consistently enough to climb any sort of learning curve. It shaves close. I don't mind the blade feel and I'd call it smooth feeling. However, it has a tendency to jump up out of nowhere and bite me. Perhaps I really should use it every day for a few weeks but I've not worked up the nerve.

For the record, I can shave with most razors I've tried including the 2013 R41, the Karve G, etc. There are others that I experience as occasional biters, such as the Wunderbar and the iKon Tech.

I've gotta be an atypical Blackbird user. It is certainly a much loved razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You certainly have to stick with one razor until you learn to love it. At least that's what I think, because I think we can master any razor given the time even it is not so lovely in the beginning. Unless you are in extreme case such as very sensitive skin, then you should just change your razor to something milder. If the Blackbird doesn't cause you irritation (which is what they call smooth), but bite instead. Then you are fine with that razor, bite is user error and poor technique I think. Take note of where it bites you, is it so random or just a specific area? For my case, I tend to and only get bitten on my mustache area during ATG. So that's the place I have to be extra mindful about.

You are far more experienced than me with so many razors in your den. I only started wet shaving this year on March, 6C is a great beginner razor and helped me figure out the kind of razor I like.

Last edited:
Tatara has this unmistakable house style, whether its Masamune, Nodachi or Masamura –
they all look like they're cut from the same cloth. Whichever one you buy, chances are
you'll love the looks if you're sold on the house style.

I did some calculations....the Nodachi +Masamune heads with Masamune handle add up
to US$412.50 before shipping.

Muramasa was a no brainer (though still crazy exp) at US$389 inclusive of shipping).

Enjoy your Masamune it sure looks nice.
Initially I like the Muramasa and thought the Masamune design is plain. But then it grows on me, end up appreciating its minimalist design. It looks like a Japan shrine ⛩ to me in a way too. Muramasa is bolder, definitely live up to its name. Because Muramasa is said to be more superior swordsmith, but also associated with being cursed, blood lusting and demon katana.

Oh yes, Muramasa is definitely cheaper if you consider it has five settings, and when you want all 4 settings from Masamune.

Enjoy yours too!

Allow me to make some corrections to my post. I mentioned you determine whether the cap is Nodachi or Masamune by looking at its blade post length, a shorter one is Nodachi. This is what is mentioned in this blog.

Maybe it is one way to differentiate, but not what Tatara do to differentiate it. I asked Joao from Tatara to verify whether what I get is really Nodachi top cap. He asked me to show photos of it from the side of the thread, and he verified that it is. He mentioned they do a shorter thread on Masamune top cap, and that's how they differentiate them. It can be seen in the customise razor page easily, or accessories page. Attached below the picture showing the top cap side by side from razor customisation page.

1624460241820.png

And here is the photo of mine.

1624460433426.png

I even count the number of threads to verify, and it is 11 to my count. 8 for the Masamune cap.

The reason I do this is because I still can't believe how smooth the Nodachi is contrary to most saying it is very aggressive, and often compared to Blackbird on youtube channel. Anyway, I learnt something new and hopefully you guys too.

So you finally made the decision! Well done and well chosen.

I agree it is smooth with the astra green but a feather may change your mind.
I never use a Feather yet. What I was trying to say is comparing it to 6C @ 6 with Astra Green, it has less blade feel and much smoother. A combination of factor due to rigid blade, and lighter weight I think.

Top Bottom