What's new

My Tatara Impression

I have a black Nodachi waiting for me at home when i get back from my trip, wasnt impressed with the Masamune when i had it due to how mild it was, but im still looking forward to this one

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
The new razor sounds very interesting. I'll follow along with your adventure and learning curve.

I have a Blackland Blackbird and have not learned to enjoy it. Perhaps that is my fault as I've certainly not used it consistently enough to climb any sort of learning curve. It shaves close. I don't mind the blade feel and I'd call it smooth feeling. However, it has a tendency to jump up out of nowhere and bite me. Perhaps I really should use it every day for a few weeks but I've not worked up the nerve.

For the record, I can shave with most razors I've tried including the 2013 R41, the Karve G, etc. There are others that I experience as occasional biters, such as the Wunderbar and the iKon Tech.

I've gotta be an atypical Blackbird user. It is certainly a much loved razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
I have the same experience as you. You are not alone. Got the blackbird during the original campaign and kept it for years. Every time I shaved with it, my face felt raw for days. Finally sold it. Now I regret that as I feel my technique changed a bunch since. But I could shave with more aggressive razors and get less irritation than with the BB. I have yet to try any Tatara razor, but I always follow these threads with great interest. One day I will try one.

I have the same experience as you. You are not alone. Got the blackbird during the original campaign and kept it for years. Every time I shaved with it, my face felt raw for days. Finally sold it. Now I regret that as I feel my technique changed a bunch since. But I could shave with more aggressive razors and get less irritation than with the BB. I have yet to try any Tatara razor, but I always follow these threads with great interest. One day I will try one.
Just go for it now to fill the empty hole in your hearts ;) I too consider getting Blackbird instead of Tatara, it is beautiful. But the Masamune minimalist and Japanese design ⛩ just grown on me over time.

If you could afford it, the Blackbird Titanium is very interesting. Its lighter weight makes it more nimble and easier to control, which will results in smoother shaves.

Today I am using the badger brush without washing it before, I am directly using it brand new. I will talk about its condition when it is dry first. Unlike synthetic brush which has soft tips, the finest badger when it is brand new has scratchy tips but its hair along its length is very smooth. I smell something, but not unpleasant and not strong. Backbone is strong on this.

I soak it in warm water like I do with synthetic brush while I shower first. But damn, now I know the odor people wants to get rid of. When it is wet, it starts to smell strong stink. Still strong backbone, but a little scratchy at first when face lathering that I don't mind. I think I don't load enough soap in it, I have to load it longer the next time. Also, I am still not very good in lathering so I got less lather out of it compared to my synthetic brush. I don't notice how it retains heat and water, or should I soak it in warm water longer? I think I did soak it in just around 5 minutes. Only 4 months into wet shaving, I find myself learn to shave very quick but still struggle with lathering.

Any tips are welcome.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Continue from my previous post: Envoy or Nodachi, opinions needed. - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/envoy-or-nodachi-opinions-needed.607728/
My previous post is in the journey of deciding which razor I want to get, this post is my journey with Tatara.

Acknowledgement:
Thanks to all your help, I have narrowed my selection to Tatara. I further private chat with @JPO to ask for advice regarding Nodachi and Muramasa, since both are attainable by me. Watching them side by side for a long time, it is clear that I like the minimalist aesthetics of Masamune more. @JPO mentioned I could use the remaining to get their brush which tempted me, and so I did.

Acquisition:
So I acquired Full Nodachi CC on Masamune handle + Masamune CC plate + Badger brush (my first animal hair brush). The express shipping took only 6 days and with reliable tracking (FedEx in my case). Upon unboxing, the badger brush doesn't smell anything weird for me (maybe the smell is covered by the cork smell instead haha). But it is so tiny (similar size to Omega S Brush), never imagine it is this tiny... Although I haven't use it, its handle feels solid and ergonomic in hand. Perfectly fine for my Asian small hand.

View attachment 1285934

Razor first use:
Today I use the Nodachi with Astra Green blade, using my Yaqi Tuxedo knot brush with B&M Cologne Russe. I come to think that did they give me the wrong top cap? I verify it has shorter blade post, so it is indeed the Nodachi cap. I thought it would be more aggressive than my only razor 6C @ 6, but it is the opposite. Even when using my 6C @ 6 with Astra Green blade, I can still cut myself during ATG on mustache area if my technique slip, and requires a very light touch. So I still have to be extra mindful during ATG with it. But I don't feel worry doing ATG with the Nodachi, it is so much smoother, and more controlled. Reminded me of what Shane from Blackbird told me when I asked him about the Blackbird aggressiveness. Shane told me that I shouldn't worry about it because the Blackbird is more refined and controlled than 6C/6S. Guess I shouldn't really worry about the Blackbird being too aggressive. Attached below Shane's reply.

View attachment 1285935

Continue from saying Nodachi is much smoother and controlled, I think it is also due to Masamune handle's weight. It is lighter than 6C so it is so much easier to control pressure and angle, especially during ATG. With heavier razor like 6C, a very very light touch is required when doing ATG, which is harder to control (but I definitely improved my technique to control pressure from using it too). Grip on Masamune handle is very well, its slimness aside from its weight also helps in control and precision (like a fine writing/painting instrument). Nodachi being smoother might be due to better blade clamping, but I don't know how that feels yet. In my first shave, I also feel that Nodachi has less blade feel compared to 6C @ 6. Weird, I know. FYI, the reason I switch from plate 5 to plate 6 on 6C is because it is much smoother for me. Now the Nodachi is even smoother than that!

Nodachi is very smooth and controlled, not aggressive for me. I even buff it on my mustache area, but no irritation. The Masamune handle is like what I imagine, nimble and precise. Nimble like a sports car instead of heavier razor that is like touring car. The benefit to that nimbleness is very pronounce when you do XTG and ATG, fun like a sports car indeed. It is also a well balanced razor, so very intuitive to use from the first moment. I love it!
Those are beautiful! Look like pieces of art.

I think I did soak it in just around 5 minutes. Only 4 months into wet shaving, I find myself learn to shave very quick but still struggle with lathering.
Sorry about telling you to use it straight away! I am a cold water shaver, my bad. You want to saturate it or soak it and let it sit, as you did, for 5 minutes. Take a deep breath, slow down just for a minute, concentrate. Squeeze out the excess water, shake it a bit, gently. You want to wet just the ends, dip it if you are a sink filler. I use a spray bottle so I can get repeatability. 3 sprays, ymmv. Scoop out your soap with the back of your finger, about a thumbnail full. Smoosh it into the bottom of your bowl and spread it evenly. Calm down, this only takes a few minutes to get it right then you can speed through your shave. Now, take your brush and gently swirl around your bowl clockwise then anti-clockwise a few circles each direction. Keep repeating for about a minute. Is it getting really thick and kind of resisting swirling? Dribble or spray a little water in and swirl a little more. Still not enough water? Add a bit more, remember how much you used. It will go faster next time. I think you can take it from there, but remember to apply it to a wet face before each pass. Good luck.

Sorry about telling you to use it straight away! I am a cold water shaver, my bad. You want to saturate it or soak it and let it sit, as you did, for 5 minutes. Take a deep breath, slow down just for a minute, concentrate. Squeeze out the excess water, shake it a bit, gently. You want to wet just the ends, dip it if you are a sink filler. I use a spray bottle so I can get repeatability. 3 sprays, ymmv. Scoop out your soap with the back of your finger, about a thumbnail full. Smoosh it into the bottom of your bowl and spread it evenly. Calm down, this only takes a few minutes to get it right then you can speed through your shave. Now, take your brush and gently swirl around your bowl clockwise then anti-clockwise a few circles each direction. Keep repeating for about a minute. Is it getting really thick and kind of resisting swirling? Dribble or spray a little water in and swirl a little more. Still not enough water? Add a bit more, remember how much you used. It will go faster next time. I think you can take it from there, but remember to apply it to a wet face before each pass. Good luck.
Thanks for the tips. But I only do face lathering though. I did squeeze out excess water and only the tips are wet. Then I swirl around in the soap container, but only in one direction. I should try the other direction next time and see. I think I don't load enough for this brush, that's why.

Thanks for the tips. But I only do face lathering though. I did squeeze out excess water and only the tips are wet. Then I swirl around in the soap container, but only in one direction. I should try the other direction next time and see. I think I don't load enough for this brush, that's why.
I will admit I have never face lathered. But it sounds like you are on the right track. Regardless of method, every soap needs a certain amount of hydration and agitation. If you have the tips adequately wet, you should be swirling until you feel like you need more water. But in the case of face lathering, you would then finish on a wet face until you get the consistency right. I use hard soaps as well and they clearly stop giving soap at a certain point. Worse case, you use too much soap and need to use less water on the brush next time.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

There are lots of ways to do it.

I never squeeze out any water, but just shake the brush a couple of times. I also run hot tap water on the end of the brush right before using it (it's already been soaked), just very briefly, and shake it again, then load and lather.

It's just what works for you and for your brushes.

For the record, my hot tap water isn't terribly hot (and some hot tap water can be way too hot). Be careful with hot water on your badger brushes.

I'm a 100% face latherer.

Most of the badger brushes I've acquired new had no stink, but some have smelled bad. They can be soaked and washed in Dawn and water a number of times to help get rid of the smell. Eventually it will go away. They can also be lathered with shaving soap (palm lathered) and allowed to sit all lathered up for a few hours, then rinsed and lathered again, and again and again, which can hurry the process. Some take many washings to get rid of the smell. I've had only one which was pretty horrible and quite difficult to get "clean" smelling.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Today I am using the badger brush without washing it before, I am directly using it brand new. I will talk about its condition when it is dry first. Unlike synthetic brush which has soft tips, the finest badger when it is brand new has scratchy tips but its hair along its length is very smooth. I smell something, but not unpleasant and not strong. Backbone is strong on this.

I soak it in warm water like I do with synthetic brush while I shower first. But damn, now I know the odor people wants to get rid of. When it is wet, it starts to smell strong stink. Still strong backbone, but a little scratchy at first when face lathering that I don't mind. I think I don't load enough soap in it, I have to load it longer the next time. Also, I am still not very good in lathering so I got less lather out of it compared to my synthetic brush. I don't notice how it retains heat and water, or should I soak it in warm water longer? I think I did soak it in just around 5 minutes. Only 4 months into wet shaving, I find myself learn to shave very quick but still struggle with lathering.

Any tips are welcome.
Just remember that the handle of the brush is a solid chunk of steel. If the handle is cold, that will probably affect the brush to.
Do not soak the entire brush:)
I have also noticed that larger and denser knots retain heat better by trapping the water deeper into the knot. But some dense knots do not allow good enough flow through the brush, so that can be an issue.
Also try the so called "Marco Method"

Just remember that the handle of the brush is a solid chunk of steel. If the handle is cold, that will probably affect the brush to.
Do not soak the entire brush:)
I have also noticed that larger and denser knots retain heat better by trapping the water deeper into the knot. But some dense knots do not allow good enough flow through the brush, so that can be an issue.
Also try the so called "Marco Method"

Thanks, may I know why don't soak the entire brush? I always do that with all my brushes. And the Marco method seems interesting, will try it next!

@JPO, I see why you don't submerge the entire brush including handle in water for the fear of damaging the adhesives. So just soaking like half of the knot length will do?

I found good tips from this link. I admit that I squeeze out too many water from the brush too, although still gentle squeeze. Maybe try out loading soap with inverted brush too. A lot of tips on lathering, I guess I still struggle because I don't really do my research.

Another question I have in mind. Do you clean your brush with the tip facing the running water? Because I always do that haha, but with my hand holding the knot in place so it don't splays too much.

@JPO, I see why you don't submerge the entire brush including handle in water for the fear of damaging the adhesives. So just soaking like half of the knot length will do?

I found good tips from this link. I admit that I squeeze out too many water from the brush too, although still gentle squeeze. Maybe try out loading soap with inverted brush too. A lot of tips on lathering, I guess I still struggle because I don't really do my research.

Another question I have in mind. Do you clean your brush with the tip facing the running water? Because I always do that haha, but with my hand holding the knot in place so it don't splays too much.
You just clean it like any other brush. Just get all the soap you can out of it.
I like to soak it in a cup. I try to avoid water at the base. I am not sure it matters. I just like to think it helps:)
It also helps to dry it on a towl before you put it away. I use a dehumidifier, but that is just because my shave den is in the basement where there is one. Again i am not sure if it helps, but if you only have one brush you use, it is constantly moist.

A brand new pre bloom vs Yaqi 26mm Tuxedo.

DSC_3807.JPG

After first shave (14 hours after in fact) vs 26mm Yaqi Tuxedo.

DSC_3808.JPG

It does get as wide as a 26mm bulb knot as mentioned by others. I'd consider it a bulb knot too, anyone agree? Both are dense brush, maybe the Tatara is denser. Because I tried sticking my finger into the knot on the Tatara to see if it has dried up inside (it is still a little tiny bit moist), but it is harder to do compared to the Yaqi which just opens up instantly. The Yaqi synthetic hair is very straight even when it splays, so my fingers enters the knot easier. The badger hair individual hair is not as straight I think, kinda tangles around each other. I guess that's its water holding characteristics. Am I right?

Congrats on your choice, and the Tatara razors really are shaving art! FedEx delivered the Muramasa this morning, my first impressions after first shave (by no means a detailed review, posted by others elsewhere, better and more detailed). But what a razor. Outstanding in engineering, construction, fit, finish and function. I have a considerable stable of modern and vintage DE razors, and this one I believe will replace them all. One razor on my bathroom counter - a liberating feeling! Shaved on 2 (Astra blade that I use - or used - with all new razors), the setting which to me almost duplicates the AS-D2 with more efficiency. An effortless, extremely comfortable, BBS shave. Settings are positive, smooth, and locked in - and infinite between numbers. Blade alignment and stability is perfect. The minimalist design and positive grip and balance just ice the cake. I hadn't really expected a game-changing razor (no reference intended), but this is it. If you like an extremely efficient razor, I don't know what the 5 setting will get you, and that's the limit on the Muramasa so it might not be your cup of tea, but for me it has the perfect range, the perfect balance, and the perfect feel. I might fiddle with 3 or even 4, but I can't imagine I'll need anything else, so I suppose this is my Grail razor - and I have a Masamune as well that will languish, and a Rex that will stay in its case, along with a pile of other adjustables. My sincere thanks and a shout-out and salute to João and company for this superb instrument.

20210625_132658[3587].jpg

Last edited:

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The new razor sounds very interesting. I'll follow along with your adventure and learning curve.

I have a Blackland Blackbird and have not learned to enjoy it. Perhaps that is my fault as I've certainly not used it consistently enough to climb any sort of learning curve. It shaves close. I don't mind the blade feel and I'd call it smooth feeling. However, it has a tendency to jump up out of nowhere and bite me. Perhaps I really should use it every day for a few weeks but I've not worked up the nerve.

For the record, I can shave with most razors I've tried including the 2013 R41, the Karve G, etc. There are others that I experience as occasional biters, such as the Wunderbar and the iKon Tech.

I've gotta be an atypical Blackbird user. It is certainly a much loved razor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
You may find my comparison of Tatara and Blackbird interesting

Congrats on your choice, and the Tatara razors really are shaving art! FedEx delivered the Muramasa this morning, my first impressions after first shave (by no means a detailed review, posted by others elsewhere, better and more detailed). But what a razor. Outstanding in engineering, construction, fit, finish and function. I have a considerable stable of modern and vintage DE razors, and this one I believe will replace them all. One razor on my bathroom counter - a liberating feeling! Shaved on 2 (Astra blade that I use - or used - with all new razors), the setting which to me almost duplicates the AS-D2 with more efficiency. An effortless, extremely comfortable, BBS shave. Settings are positive, smooth, and locked in - and infinite between numbers. Blade alignment and stability is perfect. The minimalist design and positive grip and balance just ice the cake. I hadn't really expected a game-changing razor (no reference intended), but this is it. If you like an extremely efficient razor, I don't know what the 5 setting will get you, and that's the limit on the Muramasa so it might not be your cup of tea, but for me it has the perfect range, the perfect balance, and the perfect feel. I might fiddle with 3 or even 4, but I can't imagine I'll need anything else, so I suppose this is my Grail razor - and I have a Masamune as well that will languish, and a Rex that will stay in its case, along with a pile of other adjustables. My sincere thanks and a shout-out and salute to João and company for this superb instrument.

View attachment 1287235
Nice one, this is your Tatara impression. Muramasa definitely suits you if you like lower settings, so you still have some room going up. I think I probably gonna stick with settings 3 and above only, so. Maybe lower settings could be fun occasionally. That reminded me I haven't use my Masamune plate haha. Most importantly, I love the Masamune design and that's the only reason I need.

I useto have a Nodachi and ended up selling it. Well, I figured I needed to give it another chance so I found a great deal on the BST. First shave was amazing! So smooth and efficient. 36hrs growth with a Personna med prep. At first I tried a bic chrome and it dragged so bad. Second shave I tried swapping to another handle and the shave was harsh. I truley believe that in order to get the best shave from the razor, the stock handle must be used due to their design.

Top Bottom