What's new

My Tatara Impression

I useto have a Nodachi and ended up selling it. Well, I figured I needed to give it another chance so I found a great deal on the BST. First shave was amazing! So smooth and efficient. 36hrs growth with a Personna med prep. At first I tried a bic chrome and it dragged so bad. Second shave I tried swapping to another handle and the shave was harsh. I truley believe that in order to get the best shave from the razor, the stock handle must be used due to their design.
I can't imagine using another handle on it, because of their unique fitting system. Moreover, the Nodachi top cap has shorter blade post that don't fix itself in place with the baseplate. You will notice the baseplate can slide along the top cap blade post without screwing the handle in, their unique handle must be used in order to fix them together perfectly.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I really enjoy my Masamune, however, I purchased mine with OC baseplate and wish I would have purchased it with the SB baseplate. Other than that, it's an awesome razor!

This week I am still sticking with Nodachi and Badger brush. I use the Perma Sharp blade which is new for me, it is smooth like the Astra Green if not smoother. I will try the Feather blade next week and see if it finally reveals that Nodachi is aggressive, so far nope (sadly the Masamune plate is still in the box).

After truly learn about lathering, I finally got thick, slick, and voluminous lather sufficient for 4 passes! This time I follow the Sharpologist's tips, perfect squeeze near the tips and inverted loading. I don't really soak it this time, around a minute only with cool water. I know the strong stink will come if warm water lol. I also notice I don't press harder enough when loading the soap last time for fear of damaging the hair (this brush is expensive for me too), so I literally "load the air" last time. During face lather, I don't splay it too much as well, but it is already harder to splay in nature. Will continue to experiment with other lathering technique.

Is it normal for lather to get thinner during subsequent passes? I notice it always does no matter the soap and brush, because I wet my face after one pass is done. Should I not? Even if I don't, it still gets a little thinner I think.

I useto have a Nodachi and ended up selling it. Well, I figured I needed to give it another chance so I found a great deal on the BST. First shave was amazing! So smooth and efficient. 36hrs growth with a Personna med prep. At first I tried a bic chrome and it dragged so bad. Second shave I tried swapping to another handle and the shave was harsh. I truley believe that in order to get the best shave from the razor, the stock handle must be used due to their design.

talk about YMMV, used a BIC when I shaved with the Nodachi and it performed beautifully, med preps in general for me are a bit rough though.

Today I tried the Marco method, basically the results are similar to when I do perfect squeeze near the tips. Basic is about getting the right soap to water ratio. Overloading soap is better than underloading because it is always an option to add water later. And I got used to the pressure needed for this brush so I truly load the soap instead of air.

Thanks for sharing your experience! I really enjoy my Masamune, however, I purchased mine with OC baseplate and wish I would have purchased it with the SB baseplate. Other than that, it's an awesome razor!

Tried the Nodachi cap + Masamune OC today and it was incredible. Very smooth for an OC. I love the Masamune OC but this combo kicks it up a notch. Never tried this combination but it is great.

Will definitely need to try the Nodachi OC plate.

As promised, this week is the Nodachi with Feather blade. My first use of Feather blade on any razor. The blade itself is higher quality (thicker), even the paper wrapping it. I just shave it like I always do, 3 pass WTG>XTG>ATG. Except today I shave it at night which is my first too.

The blade is famous for being aggressive/sharp, so I am being mindful with this shave. To my surprise, it is super smooth throughout (like the Astra Green, but Astra Green is smoother). Even ATG on my more sensitive mustache area where I tend to get bitten if not being mindful/rush. I got one small nick on the usual spot on mustache area due to buffing, I don't even felt the bite during shave and only notice it after shave.

Maybe it is me, I don't understand the aggressiveness of the Feather blade as mentioned by so many (just like the case of Nodachi). I think I will feel more worry using Feather on 6C, but Nodachi blade clamping and tight tolerance makes it super smooth. I also don't feel the Feather is like a lot more effective than other blade I have used (Astra Green, Perma Sharp, Rapira Platinum, Rapira Steel, Rockwell, etc.). Yes, it is more effective, but not by a huge margin. I still have to buff a little during ATG on my mustache area. But with less buffing than other blade, and no bits are left over (BBS). My recent experience with Astra Green and Perma Sharp, I have to buff more and sometimes bits are left over.

Very good blade, my skin remains smooth after shave. I like this blade, but I will get a cheaper blade still lol.

As promised, this week is the Nodachi with Feather blade. My first use of Feather blade on any razor. The blade itself is higher quality (thicker), even the paper wrapping it. I just shave it like I always do, 3 pass WTG>XTG>ATG. Except today I shave it at night which is my first too.

The blade is famous for being aggressive/sharp, so I am being mindful with this shave. To my surprise, it is super smooth throughout (like the Astra Green, but Astra Green is smoother). Even ATG on my more sensitive mustache area where I tend to get bitten if not being mindful/rush. I got one small nick on the usual spot on mustache area due to buffing, I don't even felt the bite during shave and only notice it after shave.

Maybe it is me, I don't understand the aggressiveness of the Feather blade as mentioned by so many (just like the case of Nodachi). I think I will feel more worry using Feather on 6C, but Nodachi blade clamping and tight tolerance makes it super smooth. I also don't feel the Feather is like a lot more effective than other blade I have used (Astra Green, Perma Sharp, Rapira Platinum, Rapira Steel, Rockwell, etc.). Yes, it is more effective, but not by a huge margin. I still have to buff a little during ATG on my mustache area. But with less buffing than other blade, and no bits are left over (BBS). My recent experience with Astra Green and Perma Sharp, I have to buff more and sometimes bits are left over.

Very good blade, my skin remains smooth after shave. I like this blade, but I will get a cheaper blade still lol.
I should say efficient instead of effective here..

Feather is a good blade but typically only sharp for 2-3 shaves. The other blades you mention will last/stay sharper longer.
How long do you use your blade? I read that to dispose your blade after a week, so I always do that.

Tried the Nodachi cap + Masamune OC today and it was incredible. Very smooth for an OC. I love the Masamune OC but this combo kicks it up a notch. Never tried this combination but it is great.

Will definitely need to try the Nodachi OC plate.
I'm actually considering ordering the Masamune OC plate as a backup for my Nodachi, my concern is that because it's a Masamune and even being paired with a Nodachi cap AND OC that it might still wind up being too mild for me like the standard Masamune is

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I'm actually considering ordering the Masamune OC plate as a backup for my Nodachi, my concern is that because it's a Masamune and even being paired with a Nodachi cap AND OC that it might still wind up being too mild for me like the standard Masamune is
Slightly different question, but could you compare the pure Nodachi (cap+plate) in SB and OC for me? I heard good things about the OC, but am leaning more towards the SB as it supposedly has quite some blade feel already there. And because I <3 my Blackbird with SB so much more than with the OC.

my concern is that because it's a Masamune and even being paired with a Nodachi cap AND OC that it might still wind up being too mild for me like the standard Masamune is

It could be too mild but this is ymmv territory. It works for me and my technique, blade, beard etc.

Do you have the Nodachi OC already?

Slightly different question, but could you compare the pure Nodachi (cap+plate) in SB and OC for me? I heard good things about the OC, but am leaning more towards the SB as it supposedly has quite some blade feel already there. And because I <3 my Blackbird with SB so much more than with the OC.

Frankly I find the Nodachi OC superior. The razor feels more solid and the blade is better supported. Actually I think it is smoother than the SB and has less blade feel but it is an OC. When I got the OC I stopped using the SB Nodachi.

That's just it, I want to try an OC from Tatara in general, but for what it's worth I find the Nodachi SB to already have plenty of blade feel so the idea of getting that in an OC version might be a bit much, on the other hand the Masamune when I briefly had that some time back felt like I might as well have shaved with a butter knife in hindsight, so I don't know if thing's would balance out more if I slapped an OC Masamune plate onto my Nodachi

It could be too mild but this is ymmv territory. It works for me and my technique, blade, beard etc.

Do you have the Nodachi OC already?

Frankly I find the Nodachi OC superior. The razor feels more solid and the blade is better supported. Actually I think it is smoother than the SB and has less blade feel but it is an OC. When I got the OC I stopped using the SB Nodachi.

Well I do have more course facial hair, and again the Masamune was not very effective when I had it which is why I'm debating which OC plate to get, though I do find it interesting that you seem to suggest the Nodachi plate as an OC is more comfortable. I suppose I could just get the Nodachi OC first and give that whirl, if I don't like it I could sell it, or conversely if I come to your conclusion that it beats out the SB, I could get rid of that instead.

It does sound like you would prefer the Nodachi OC but there's only one way to tell. I find it quite comfortable and don't seek out aggressive razors by any stretch.

Top Bottom